pixeltracker

What shows did you do in high school?- Page 4

What shows did you do in high school?

Ahmy
#75re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/4/17 at 9:37pm

Middle school shows: an "I don't know how this was considered legal" Newsies, before the Broadway version became a thing, & Annie Jr.
High School: Pippin, You're A Good Man,Charlie Brown (didn't participate), Les Mis, and Leader of the Pack.
Community Theatre: Annie Jr., Godspell, and Les Mis.

Willie4316
#76re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/4/17 at 9:55pm

Freshman - Phantom, Beauty & The Beast

Sophomore - Jekyll & Hyde

Junior - Sweeney Todd - Judge Turpin

Senior - Into The Woods - Cinderella's Father, Pippin - King Charles

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#77re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/4/17 at 10:01pm

Freshman year: Pinocchio (auditioned, didn't get cast), Thoroughly Modern Millie (ensemble), talent/variety show (got a solo musical act, but got kicked out because of grades. Whoops)

Sophomore year: A: An Adaptation of The Scarlet Letter (didn't audition), Beauty and the Beast (Lefou), One-act original plays (various)

Junior year: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Edmond), Hairspray (Wilbur Turnblad), Improv original called Bad Romance (didn't audition, but ended up in the show anyway LOL)

Senior year: Almost, Maine (didn't audition because I was in Legally Blonde outside of school), Curtains (Christopher Belling), Working (we did it with 24, rather than 6, but I did the duet towards the end of the show)

3-star thespian :)

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#78re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/4/17 at 10:11pm

In the 70s, we did

The Music Man
Oliver!
Fiddler on the Roof
South Pacific
Tom Jones
All my Sons
The Matchmaker

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#79re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/4/17 at 11:00pm

Ah, what the hell.

6th grade: The Wizard of Oz (Munchkin)

7th grade: Peter Pan (Pirate)

8th grade: The Music Man (Ethel Toffelmier)

9th grade: Grease (Cha Cha/ensemble), Baby (ensemble)

10th grade: Once On This Island (Andrea), Fiddler on the Roof (Fruma Sarah)

11th grade: Crazy for You (Mitzi), Once Upon a Mattress (originally princess #12, upgraded to Lady Larkin)

12th grade: Annie (Star to Be), Into the Woods (Cinderella)

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#80re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/4/17 at 11:15pm

My school was a big "raw raw football is the only thing that matters" kinda high school, so we only have one show a year, a musical. One of the English teachers started a drama club and they did a small mystery play that I was a part of the test year with, but then they didn't really take off with that as a regular thing until after my time.

9th: Once Upon a Mattress (Ensemble)
10th: Anything Goes (Ensemble)
11th: Ten Little Indians (Vera)
11th: Damn Yankess (Miss Weston)
12th: Zombie Prom (Miss Strict)

It was a pretty massive jump for me from "little" roles to suddenly being one of the four leads in my senior year but that was mainly because there was just no space for me leading up to my senior year. All the classes above mine were filled with big singers and actors. But mine and the classes behind me was a massive 180 from that. I was the only junior girl in Damn Yankees which made me the only girl in my grade to do all 4 years. Made people really shocked when I came outta no where and could belt my face off as I was the quite girl that kept to herself.

Aspiring SM Profile Photo
Aspiring SM
#81re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/5/17 at 1:33am

Do technical credits count, too? If so:

8th Grade: Guys and Dolls- Stage Manager, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer- Props Mistress

Freshman Year: Antigone- Assistant Props Mistress, Nice Work If You Can Get It- Assistant Stage Manager, Runaways (blackbox show)- Lighting Designer

Sophomore Year: Peter and the Starcatcher- Props/Set Designer, Bonnie and Clyde- Assistant Stage Manager, The Game's Afoot- Stage Manager, The Diviners- Assistant Stage Manager, And They Dance Real Slow in Jackson (blackbox show)- Sound Designer

Current: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe- Stage Manager (currently on hold due to flood damage in theatre)

What a fun thread topic!

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#82re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/5/17 at 4:27am

In the spring of my freshman year I went to see my school production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. The next day I switch my schedule to be enrolled in drama. Incidentally my first paid acting job was playing Tacksberry in How To Succeed and it was the first musical I have a directed.

My first high school show was as a sophomore and I was cast as the voice of Edwin Dennis and the leading man and Auntie Mame.  I know that year I was a traveling salesman and American Gothic and the opening of The Music Man then for the rest of the show I was a very tall kid who just stood around in the background.

We moved & at my next I was cast as Ralph Waldo Emerson in the Night Spent in Jail and then as Brasset the butler in Where's Charley?   My senior year I played Sam the husband in Wait Until Dark.   Most disappointing our teacher decided he didn't want to direct a big musical so there would be a variety show that I and another student would direct.   He had not discussed this with us before his announcement.  The other boy refused. I gladly directed it and cast myself in a couple scenes and songs.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#83re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/5/17 at 12:51pm

We did (in order from my freshman year) R and H's Cinderella, Once Upon a Mattress, and Disney's High School Musical. Missed Carousel by a year. I was ticked.

Interestingly, I played a "woman of a certain age" in all three shows. In addition, Marrick Smith (of FUN HOME and the Muny's FORUM) was the Prince in our Cinderella. We're still friends!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Bronxfan
#84re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/5/17 at 2:50pm

Freshman year - Oklahoma

Sophomore year - Guys and Dolls

Junior year - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Senior year - West Side Story

Jtoth8922
#85re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/5/17 at 3:34pm

Middle School - Story Theater & Your A Good Man Charlie Brown

Freshman - Carnival (roustabout)

Sophomore- West Side Story (Baby John)

Junior - Don't Drink The Water & Guys and Dolls (Niclely Nicely)

Senior - You can't Take It With You & She Loves Me (Head Waiter)

green waver
#86re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/5/17 at 8:41pm

Lets see         

Freshman Year-way too self conscious and scared

Sophomore Year- Rudolph in Hello Dolly, with a Colonel Klink accent!

Junior Year- Fleet Foot in Little Mary Sunshine(also Asst Director)

Senior Year- Hysterium in Forum-I was devastated not to get Pseudolus, but I must admit my good friend Brian nailed the part. And we got to sing the "Lovely" reprise together, each trying to crack the other up. I got great feedback  for my drag scene.

lucas_glenn
#87re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/5/17 at 8:51pm

Freshman Year: Willie Conklin/Ensemble in Ragtime

Sophomore Year: the Dentist in Little Shop of Horrors, Ryan Evans in High School Musical and Grandpa in You Can’t Take It With You

Junior Year: Captain Georg von Trapp in the Sound of Music and Sebastian in the Little Mermaid

Senior Year: the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, Ryan Evans in High School Musical 2 and Hansel/the Giant in the Grimm Brothers Spectaculathon

cb981 Profile Photo
cb981
#88re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/6/17 at 11:13pm

Unfortunately I wasn't involved in any of the shows my school did. I stayed out because there was a lot of teenage drama bull**** with much of the cast and crew. I really regret not participating tbh because now I really do want to get in to theatre as a career and missed a good starting point. 

Freshman year: a straight play adaptation of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Apparently they attempted to do Grease a few years before and was such a colossal failure it was cancelled during rehearsals. No clue if the show was any good or not because I completely forgot to see it. 

Sophomore year: Little Shop of Horrors. Their first attempt at a musical since the aborted Grease. Only like eight people auditioned and the student playing Seymour had to be convinced to do it without any prior acting or singing experience. I remember being fairly impressed by the production values for such a cheap school and all the performers were great. Definitely the best show they did. 

Junior year: High School Musical. A dumb show but everyone had a ton of fun and the parts were perfectly cast. 

Senior year: The Music Man. God bless e

cb981 Profile Photo
cb981
#89re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/6/17 at 11:19pm

Unfortunately I wasn't involved in any of the shows my school did. I stayed out because there was a lot of teenage drama bull**** with much of the cast and crew. I really regret not participating tbh because  I only recently discovered a real appreciation for theatre  

Freshman year: a straight play adaptation of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Apparently they attempted to do Grease a few years before and was such a colossal failure it was cancelled during rehearsals. No clue if the show was any good or not because I completely forgot to see it. 

Sophomore year: Little Shop of Horrors. Their first attempt at a musical since the aborted Grease. Only like eight people auditioned and the student playing Seymour had to be convinced to do it without any prior acting or singing experience. I remember being fairly impressed by the production values for such a cheap school and all the performers were great. Definitely the best show they did. 

Junior year: High School Musical. A dumb show but everyone had a ton of fun and the parts were perfectly cast. 

Senior year: The Music Man. God bless everyone involved with it. They did their best with this show but I thought it was kinda ****. I was bored through most of it and have no idea why it's considered a classic. 

Hack n Tuck Inc.
#90re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/7/17 at 10:58am

Freshman - Barnaby Tucker in Hello Dolly

Sophomore - Charlie Cowell and various River City folk in The Music Man

Junior - Daddy Warbucks in Annie

Senior - Narrator in Into the Woods (first high school production in the country, or so we were told at least)

tjjster
#91re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/7/17 at 7:36pm

This is fun.

Frosh: Smile (Ensemble)
Sophmore: Once Upon a Mattress (Jester)
Junior: Fiddler on the Roof (Motel), The Diviners (Dewey), Mayhem in Maeville (Bud)
Senior: Once on this Island (Tonton Julian), Godspell (Jesus), You Can't Take it With You (Tony)

Updated On: 9/7/17 at 07:36 PM

SundayInThePark2 Profile Photo
SundayInThePark2
#92re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/9/17 at 6:47pm

As I went to 2 high schools, and only the first one actually cared about theatre, I only did:

A Midsummer Night's Dream- Fairy

How to Succeed...- Ensemble

Grease- Ensemble

The year after I left, they ended up doing "Cabaret" and "Beauty and the Beast," both which I would have loved to have been a part of.

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#93re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/9/17 at 8:48pm

I did way more straight plays in high school than musicals (of which I did exactly 1) but whatever.

Freshman year: Our Town-- both of the Crowell brothers (beginning my long career of pants roles); The Odyssey-- Hermes

Sophomore year: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee-- Ensemble/Understudy (this show was during our theater department's "accident season" when half the cast was sick or injured at any given time, so while I never had to cover any of the leads, I was a frequent stand-in in rehearsals and I learned all of the female roles just in case.) 

Junior year: Picnic-- Helen Potts (I got bumped up after the original Helen Potts got expelled. I was originally cast as Irma.)

Senior year: Ring Round the Moon-- Capulet (probably the best experience I've ever had doing a show, even if Ring Round the Moon is kind of a terrible play); Shakespeare in Hollywood-- Ensemble (probably the worst experience I've ever had working on a show. Funny how that works.

Show2n Profile Photo
Show2n
#94re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/9/17 at 9:34pm

9th Grade - transferred in just before they opened Grease

10th Grade - Annie Get Your Gun - Foster Wilson/Lullaby Quartet

11th Grade - Guys and Dolls - Nicely-Nicely Johnson 

12th Grade - The Sound of Music - Max Detweiler 

DSamuels90
#95re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/10/17 at 3:35am

My school happened to be blessed with a well funded & supported arts department, so we did anywhere from 4-6 shows every year. Usually two of those were musicals: a fall semester production with auditions open to the whole school, and a spring semester production limited to the students who successfully auditioned & registered for a musical theatre class. We also had a one act play production class in the fall semester, and that was the show we took to the one act competitions (in my time, we went to the state level twice, which was a big point of pride many years ago lol).

So, in no particular order:

• Funny Girl (ensemble, also a terrible idea none of us enjoyed talking about when it was finished)
  • Sweet Charity (Vittorio/ensemble. Fun fact: our Charity danced with the Rockettes last year)
  • Big the Musical (ensemble)
  • Little Shop of Horrors (started as the understudy Mushnik, took over full time when the regular guy got suspended for flashing some classmates...)
  • Footloose (Rev. Moore. We cheated & used the original/Broadway libretto, and I shamelessly admit I enjoyed making people cry every night during "I Confess."re: What shows did you do in high school?
  • A double bill of Chamber Music and selections from All In the Timing (I was Trotsky and one of guys in The Philadelphia)
  • It Runs In the Family (I was Doctor something, the lead, and I never want to see that godforsaken play again)
  • The Nerd (I've forgotten my character's name, but I was the grumpy boss of the lead who gets covered in cottage cheese in the second act. We used real cheese...)
  • Antigone (sentry)
  • Fiddler On the Roof (Tevye, a role I'd probably literally kill to play again when I'm old enough to do it justice)

I know I've forgotten a few. Like I said, we did a lot of shows. If you were an established theatre kid (and, like me, a guy), you were always busy. Damn near lettered twice in theatre, too. And, I'm happy to say quite a number of people I knew in high school theatre have gone on to have successful careers in the industry (no big names, but I can think of at least 8 of us working consistently in theatre/film/TV/theme parks/cruise ships). 

--- S.D.G. (formerly "SweeneyPhanatic")

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#96re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/10/17 at 6:46am

Grease (I played Eugene) was my first ever musical and the show I did when I was in First Year (not sure what the US equvilent is but I was 12 and it was my first year of High School. 

Sound of Music (I played Uncle Max) when I was in Third Year.

Joseph (I was cast as Jacob but quit half way through rehearsals because I had a part time job and the school show rehearsed on Sundays) 

Community Theatre while still in High School I did Annie Get Your Gun (Little Jake), Alice In Wonderland (Card #3), Baker's Wife (Phillipe), Aladdin (Title Role), Cinderella (Dandini)

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Ryan Jones
#97re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/10/17 at 10:39am

I did not participate in any shows until Junior year, but I saw my school put on:

Competition one acts:

Full shows:

• Arsenic and Old Lace
  • Shrek

Junior year:

• Peter and the Starcatcher (Smee)
  • Bring It On the Musical (ran projections)

I am currently a senior and we're doing:

• You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (my first musical, playing Charlie Brown)
  • The Balkan Women (one act, in a crew position since rehearsals are the same time as Charlie)

Upcoming and planning to audition for:

• The Little Mermaid
  • to be announced Spring one act
Updated On: 9/10/17 at 10:39 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#98re: What shows did you do in high school?
Posted: 9/10/17 at 11:24am

Plannietink08 said: "Grease (I played Eugene) was my first ever musical and the show I did when I was in First Year (not sure what the US equvilentis but I was 12 and it was my first year of High School.

Me too! I played Eugene when I was 11.