Brooklyn picking up steam!

Hugo
#0Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/8/05 at 8:20pm

I heard that the grosses for this week are going to be be up again? I think Brooklyn is breaking past the reviews and will get the attention it deserves.

LoudIrishGirl
#1re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/8/05 at 8:58pm

Whats it about / like?

"If you can talk, you can sing...if you can walk, you can dance." - T.K. Greene

Joshua488
#2re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/8/05 at 9:49pm

How? I don't understand! I haven't heard one good thing about it. I'm skeptical of the show, but maybe I'm just being stubborn. Is it good? And please don't say yes just because you love Eden Espinosa or something! From an unbiased standpoint, is it a quality musical?

kenmarksnj Profile Photo
kenmarksnj
#3re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:01am

you know what, if you want to go see some theater, go see brooklyn. people these days need to start being more open minded. no, it's definitely not conventional broadway-style "theater" but it's high-quality talent, probably some of the best you'll find on the white way right now, and for 26.25, the student rush tix are a great deal.

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#4re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/9/05 at 12:39pm

i agree the show is very much about the visual - just listening to the cd doesn't do it justice - i mean the characters are street performers so all of the props and many of the costumes are made of things you might find on the street - which sounds gross and odd but is actually quite cool

you just have to go in with an open mind it's is very different from traditional theater but still great in its own way

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#5re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/12/05 at 11:24pm

Saw Brooklyn last night. I was waiting for the intermission so I could leave without disturbing the people around me. I found the show to be loud and screechy. To my disappointment there was no intermission.
This style of theatre seems to a throwback to the 1960's-early 70's where it was considered fresh and groundbreaking. Today however it seemed, to me, self concious and rather dusty.A rather uninspired nostalgic homage.
After the curtain call I left the theatre thinking back fondly of the original productions of Hair, Godspel, The Fantasticks and Man of La Mancha knowing that Brooklyn would never be in that pantheon, despite how much the performers "belted" out the notes.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

La Vie Boheme
#6re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/12/05 at 11:34pm

We needed some change on B'way...

BKLYN brought that

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY
Updated On: 1/12/05 at 11:34 PM

divacathe Profile Photo
divacathe
#7re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 12:18am

hmmm,i guess i'm just not a big eden espinosa fan and the show is kinda, eh. but i have a recording of her singing wicked stuff and she's not that great live. i don't really like her, so i think that destroys the show for me. sorry for you eden fans, she's got a unique sound so i guess you love her or hate her. i am the latter...sorry!

"Love is stupid and it bleeds, it satisfies my needs, I think it's wonderful..." ~Bill Finn is God!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#8re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 1:01am

Brooklyn isn't the worst thing to ever happen to Broadway. But then again, it's not one of the best shows ever either. It's purely middle of the road, with a few killer moments (mainly vocally and due to Ramona Keller) but it won't be one of those shows like "A Chorus Line" that has everyone in unanimous cheers in 25 years when it gets a revival. IF it ever gets a revival.

However, with the small cast thing, it should have a long life in smaller theatre groups. Which rocks!

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#9re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 1:14am

I've been thinking about the issue of pop music on Broadway, and I think it really has to do how musical theater represents popular culture. In the days of say, Cole Porter, his kind of music was what was considered popular, acting as both an effect of an an influence on popular culture. Nowadays that kind of music is no longer in the mainstream. Instead, most people like pop/rock music, and when they go to the theater, this is what they want to hear. Although most theater people tend to enjoy more "traditional" songs, we don't really represent the majority of the population, unfortunately.

Plum
#10re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 1:16am

I don't hate pop on principle. I just hate pop that makes Disney songs look as cynical and sophisticated as Sondheim.

dancindramadude Profile Photo
dancindramadude
#11re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 2:55am

I loved the show. Well the show its self is kind ehh like my friend says they tell you how to feel instead of showing you. The costumes and sets are amazing though and so is the talent. after I saw the show the first thing I did was buy the CD and meet the cast. The all were perfectly cast and I think the show will go far and win Tony's. I definatly think it should win best costumes.

BROADWAYFAN3
#12re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 8:03am

BKLYN is an enjoyable night out, unlike Good Vibrations, which was a total bore, saw both of them rcently. For a different type also enjoyed Dame Edna and Mario, not so much woopi.

See BKLYN don't let other people make up you mind,with negativity/ audiences seem to be cheering.

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#13re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 8:44am

No offense but I never get the fact when people say 'oh, I'm interested in this show but not too sure if I should see it because people say it's bad, I think I might be stubborn'.

If you're a real theatre lover you have to go and see Brooklyn. It's a new show and it is different. You should never rely on other people's opinion. How many times have I seen shows that were torn apart by everyone and I enjoyed them?

Having said all of this, Brooklyn is by far the worst show on Broadway at the moment... another reason why you shouldn't miss it! re: Brooklyn picking up steam!

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#14re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 8:46am

"If you're a real theatre lover you have to go and see Brooklyn."

really??? i would think if you're a REAL theater lover, you would take a chance on the newer, better stuff off- and off-off Broadway and regional theater... Brooklyn does NOT a "real" theater lover make... Updated On: 1/13/05 at 08:46 AM

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#15re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 8:51am

In my opinion, a real theatre lover should check out all Broadway openings as well.

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#16re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 9:13am

Here is why I like Brooklyn:

It aknowledges the fact that this is a performance and that these are poor, stree folk telling the story, using what they can around them to help in setting time, place, costuming the actors, and adding other little fun things.

I feel that, with the exception of Kevin Anderson (I think that's his name, the fellow who plays Taylor Collins), the talent pool within Brooklyn is phenominal; Ramona Keller tears up all of her pieces, Eden Espinosa is a fabulous singer with an extraordinary range, Cleavante Derricks is an icon of Broadway and really shines in the production and Karen Olivia, though dreadfully underused in this production, is a really amazing performer.

I went in to Brooklyn having only heard the music samples of the four songs they put out on their website--with the old Streetsinger, before Cleavante came along. I knew that it would be something different and fresh and the show didn't disappoint. Sure, there were parts that got a little long (the whole Vietnam scene and crap with Taylor Collins), but overall I thought it was an amazing production. I honestly cried during "Raven"--the whole time.

And to make it all better, everyone was so friendly at the stage door. Ramona was a little diva-esque, but that's okay...She wasn't too bad. Everyone was so grateful that we had come to see their show--including John McDaniel. They all have such fun doing the show and they believe in it so strongly that unless you go in with a wall completely put up against the show, you can't help but believe in it as well.

But then, that's just my opinions on it. Check it out for yourself. Ticket prices are low and the theatre itself is rather intimate; not a bad seat, I don't think. Formulate your own opinion and don't base it all on the OBCR--having seen the show, I feel the OBCR does justice to the overall production, but the show really ought to be seen in person.

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

twogaab2
#17re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 11:10am

Brooklyn was fun. I liked it.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#18re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 11:13am

Thibodeaux, I couldn't agree more. I saw "Wicked" this past Sat. evening. If you have to anazlyze every last thing you see, then this is probably not the show for you. It has it's flaws, no doubt about it. However, the performers, make up for it. Our reactions to singers and actors is subjective. Some people are going to hate vocalists who are considered brilliant, and people who are award winners are critisized by people who aren't involved in theater at all! So, everyone is not always going to agree on people on Broadway. I, however, like the style of singing that occurs in "Brooklyn." Those high belters like Eden and Romana, are amazing, in my opinion. I didn't think Kevin Anderson was that bad. Yes, that war sequence was much, much too long, but he was okay. I wasn't that impressed with Cleavante Derricks, but that's just me. Karin, yes, was underused. So, if you're looking to just sit and enjoy some good singing and a "cute" story line, you'll enjoy "Brooklyn." If you're lookin for a brilliant piece of work, probably not this show.

Now, as for the person "waiting for intermission," did you miss the MILLION signs that said "Brooklyn will be performed WITHOUT an INTERMISSION." They were plan as day, my friend.

The cast was very nice. I did get some pictures with Eden, Karen and Ramona (yes, she was the least friendly, with a little diva thing going on) but they signed and were quite humble. So, it was a nice experience for me. Not the best show I've seen, but not the worst either.

-Vincent

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#19re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 11:59am

I feel bad for Kevin Anderson. He's an incredible actor who has just been saddled with bad material in this show (not saying all of the show is bad, but lets face it, he doesn't really have a lot to work with.) In order to really judge his "talent level" try the 1993 OLC of Sunset Boulevard, or any of his film work....but mostly, focus on his other stage work at great theatres like The Goodman (In 1998, he played Biff in Death of a Salesman alongside Brian Dennehy.) He really is an incredible talent who basically just got the shaft in Brooklyn.

Kevin Andrerson @ IMDB

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

FrontRowCenter Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter
#20re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 1:09pm

I agree with you, MagicToDo82! Let's not forget Kevin's Tony nomination for "Death of a Salesman" and his Golden Globe nomination for his portrayal of Father Ray in "Nothing Sacred" on network TV in '97-98. He is a phenomenal actor and a terrific guy to boot! Oh, and today is his birthday so Happy Birthday, Kevin!! May we enjoy your talents for many more years to come!

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#21re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 5:49pm

I feel bad because Kevin Anderson's role of Taylor Collins is rally crappy...It's just a bad part overall. It should have been tweaked more. Everytime I hear his lines on the OBCR, I always sayd, "Poor Kevin Anderson."

I'm not doubting that he's a talented actor; but perhaps Taylor Collins was the wrong role for him?

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#22re: Brooklyn picking up steam!
Posted: 1/13/05 at 9:04pm

they didnt have any good seats available when i tried like an hour before the show, so they cant be that bad.

Videos