Miss Saigon---good musical??

theatermom4
#0Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:44pm

I just bought tickets to a CLO production of Miss Saigon. I don't know anything about this show...is it a favorite among musical-theater-goers, or am I going to regret buying them?

edenespinosalover Profile Photo
edenespinosalover
#1re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:46pm

I enjoyed it when I saw it on tour.

BrdwayBaby
#2re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:47pm

i love miss saigon. the tour i saw was alright, but the music and the story behind it all is very moving.

"Gimme Gimme That Thing Called Love"

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#3re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:52pm

I think I'm Lea Salonga biased.
I didn't like the show when I saw it on tour. But, then I saw the 10 yr. Anniversary, and loved it.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#4re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:56pm

I saw a local version of it, and that Kim was a grad student in busniess, but toured for Les Miz and Miss Saigon. She brought the house down with her voice, incredible, absolutely incredible. And I feel bad now because I can't remember her name.

Go see it, if the cast is good then there shouldn't be much to worry about, because the music is amazing. It does leave you a bit numb at the end though.

Derech2
#5re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:10pm

I've never seen Miss Saigon, but I'm a huge fan of the music and it's probably #1 of my list of shows to see. re: Miss Saigon---good musical?? Definitely go see it; if the cast is even decent you'll be blown away.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#6re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:12pm

So sad but so entrancing.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#7re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:37pm

A truly great musical, in my opinion. re: Miss Saigon---good musical??

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:38pm

A truly great musical, in my opinion. re: Miss Saigon---good musical??

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#9re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:41pm

Saigon is also one on my top ten list...IF the casting is especially strong.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#10re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:49pm

I like it...but the FBW song cracks me up...
"I am Hallmark and you, post card..." hee hee

Was that a fat joke?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#11re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:50pm

Definitely - it's undoubtedly a very well written show, but if the cast isn't up to par it can ruin the experience.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#12re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 9:00pm

My first show ever on Broadway, and my first love. I think its wonderful.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#13re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 9:12pm

I am going to see it in Columbia, SC in March. CAN'T WAIT!!!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

complaintdept. Profile Photo
complaintdept.
#14re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 9:24pm

Saw the first national tour...simply incredible. Then a couple years later, this lesser version came to town. It was nowhere near as impressive. The second production used a video screen to project the chopper evacuating the troops. Not that the videocopter destroyed the whole show, it was just overall a weaker cast. I'd still go see the show any day of the week.

What's that I smell in the air? The American dream.

ashbash6819 Profile Photo
ashbash6819
#15re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 9:29pm

i saw the touring cast in october and they were wonderful....it was truly an awsome show

"Where are we headed? Judy- "Over the god-damn rainbow"- Boy from Oz

apdarcey
#16re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 10:27pm

it's an amazing musical (in my top 5 i would have to say)... it's very cast dependent though... so hopefully you have a good kim and engineer!

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#17re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 10:38pm

Morning of the Dragon and American Dream are the shizte. Updated On: 1/30/05 at 10:38 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#18re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 10:46pm

I saw the original London and Broadway casts (some cast members were the same) and I found both to be strong casts and it to be a very good show.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#19re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/30/05 at 11:35pm

I love MISS SAIGON. If you enjoyed LES MIZ, you'll enjoy MISS SAIGON too -- the score is strikingly different (more contemporary), but still retains Schonberg's moving, sweeping operatic style.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

theatermom4
#20re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/31/05 at 2:42am

Well, after all these positive messages, I am REALLY looking forward to Miss Saigon...(and, by the way, I loved Les Miz!).

Thanks for all your comments.

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#21re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/31/05 at 2:42am

for asking such a queston, you should be circumsized.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/31/05 at 3:25am

circumcised? that's a harsh punishment.

jo
#23re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:47am

I remember seeing this show for the first time in September 1989 at the Drury Lane in London, barely a month after it opened. It was a very young Lea Salonga who played the role of Kim ...with Jonathan Pryce creating the role of The Engineer, and Simon Bowman as the American soldier who falls for the charm of the young Vietnamese.

The show has really taken quite a journey throughout the world, including here in Manila, when Lea reprised her role in a special production of Miss Saigon a few years ago.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#24re: Miss Saigon---good musical??
Posted: 1/31/05 at 8:51am

I, for one, didn't like it at all, and I only though Les Miz was a touch better, but neither is my kind of theatre. All that pop-ish screaming in my ear just isn't interesting to me.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Videos