pixeltracker

Just back from Wicked in Chicago...

Just back from Wicked in Chicago...

little sister
#0Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:15am

And thought I would give a quick review while it's fresh.
Let me start by saying that having seen the Original Broadway cast and the touring cast, I was hesitant about this evening.
I walked away mostly pleasantly surprised.
I said this would be quick, though, so here is the jist.

Ana Gasteyer-She has two things going in her favor, one: audiences will not expect her Elphaba to live up to the others because they have visions of SNL Celine Dion in their heads and two: she can really, really, sing. She is a bit awkward, not in a young Elphaba way, but in a "I have only done this five times in front of an audience" way, but she came into her own as the evening progressed and her "No Good Deed" was dead on. I would love to see her again six months from now, I think she will settle into a nice groove and that comfort a great Elphaba will make.

Kate Reinders- Best Glinda I've seen. I know I am going to get slammed for this. She is sweet, funny, natural and not over the top.

Rondi Reed-She is a fine actress. Best acted Morrible, although in my opinion, not the best sung Morrible. It is nice to have a Chicago icon on stage.

Telly Leung- He was adorable and I don't use that word lightly. He has a glorious voice and his acting was spot on. I always find it sad that we don't get more Boq, the casting for this role is always great. Telly was a treat.

Heidi Kettering-Seems that she might have seen Michelle play the role. Very similar approach but a far stronger singing voice. Her Wicked Witch of the East was fiercely acted and equally well sung.

Kristoffer Cusick-The only disappointment of the evening. I thought his acting marginal and his voice was just not up to par with the rest of the cast. For those of you who know the ending, let's just say that what usually makes the whole theater go ballistic, fell completely flat this evening, and I believe it was because the audience was not rooting for him.

Gene Weygandt and Steven Skybell were both good, not much to point out about either of them.

The Ensemble was excellent, not touring company excellent, but five performances in, they are on their way.

Susan Hilferty's costumes are still the third biggest star in the show in my opinion and I was mesmerized by them once again.
Overall, I was impressed and happy that Wicked has found a home in Chicago.
Goodnight!

NYBroadwayNY
#1re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:17am

Glad to hear your review. Glad you liked it! thanks.

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#2re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:25am

So stoked to see it in two and a half weeks!!! re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...

Cheers,

C.

www.christopherviolett.com

FosseBoi
#3re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:29am

OMG! Can you go a little more in detail about Ana!? I LOVE HER! But I've been wondering about her singing...

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#4re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:29am

awesome! I'm glad this was a positive review and you enjoyed it!!
ric

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#5re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:30am

Fosse, if you're having doubts about Ana's singing, I recommend you go listen to "The Stuff". Her High G that she belts is nothing short of jaw-dropping.

This is my signature.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#6re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:20am

I just don't understand how they keep not getting good Fiyeros. If I can sing the hell out of the role, as can many of my fellow non-equity actor friends...why the hell can't they find someone who can.

Akiva

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#7re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:25am

Fiyero is just a terrible role in general. Even Norbert fell flat in that role.

I'm dying to see Ana play Elphaba. I wish she'd come to Broadway.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#8re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:19am

No, you can't have her! >_<

This is my signature.

BwayTheatre11
#9re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:22am

Wanabe, maybe because you guys don't audition. re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...

CCM '10!

Link Larkin Wanabe
#10re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:27am

Hah,

Well to be fair there weren't any auditions in Toronto, even though there were a few Torontoian cast members. Even so...I have heard that the understudies are even better than the main ones. I heard Adam Lambert has an amazing voice...hah. Put him on instead of Derrick.

Akiva

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#11re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:31am

Fiyero is just a terrible role in general. Even Norbert fell flat in that role.

He didn't fall so flat that I didn't take notice of him, though. It's thanks to Wicked that I ever found out who he was. Heh. But I think the problem is that Fiyero is so horribly underwritten, plus it's one of those roles that you have to do just right. You can't make him too much of a pompus git turned lover boy overnight or no one's going to like him.

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#12re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:45am

Fiyero IS terribly written, but Joey Mac made the most of it and turned out a star. Kristoffer Cusick on the other hand isn't right for the role. His acting is far too bland and his vocals are too nasally. Fiyero is supposed to be the epitome of hottness. He needs to have a bold voice. He needs to look extremely hot. He needs to be Cheyenne Jackson or someone to the effect. Kristoffer complained he didn't get Fiyero on the tour. I'm sure the reviews will prove why.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#13re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:47am

Really?
I think of all the Fiyero's, Kristoffer LOOKS the part, other than Joey. But Joey's a stretch.

Someone like Cheyenne is WAY too intense-looking to play Fiyero. It'd be bad casting, physicality-wise.

And Fiyero's character is complicated...he's supposed to be that cliche "popular-rebel" guy who's magically changed into a good-hearted soul by having this romantic moment with this girl who goes against all odds.

This is my signature.

Link Larkin Wanabe
#14re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:07am

I always thought that they should have punked Fiyero's character up a bit...like a poor little rich boy that woulld become the drug dealer at school.

Akiva

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:09am

Aw, yay. I'm not really a Wicked fan, but I saw Telly Leung as Simon in JCS in Sacramento, and he was the cutest thing since baby bunnies.

(Even if he shimmied.)

So I'd been looking forward to reading about him as Boq. Thanks!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

FrontNCentre Profile Photo
FrontNCentre
#16re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 8:05am

Thanks for the review. Yes Kate is just that sweet!,

Ay Ana, try and watch Reefer Madness, it changed my view on her singing!.

>>I knew who I was this morning, but since then I have changed many times!<<

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#17re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 8:08am

Telly is in Chicago right now?
Uh oh. I work near The Oriental.
I had better meet him for lunch!

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Shilo_Bway
#18re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 9:07am

Thanks for the review! Wicked is my favourite show. I never got to see it on Broadway but I saw it in Toronto and I thought that it was amazing! Thanks again

#19re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 11:40am

I'm looking forward to seeing the new cast this Saturday! I've got crummy seats, but I'll post my thoughts that night.

brdlwyr
#20re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 11:47am

Joe, I saw the tour two rows from the back and thoroughly enjoyed it. As you know, the Oriental is not the Auditorium. I saw LSOH through a fish bowl last night!

chicago_kid Profile Photo
chicago_kid
#21re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 11:52am

I just saw the show last night. I have seen both the original and touring cast. I must say that this cast is able to live up to both of them. I am excited to see the show in a couple of months, because it will be wonderful.

I was so surprised by Ana! Her Elphaba was far different that any other Elphaba I have seen (Idina, Stephanie, and Jenna). She made Elphaba very awkward and strange compared to the other Elphabas. It worked! THE WIZARD AND I started a little shaky, but as the song went on she became more comfortable. I'M NOT THAT GIRL was beautifully sung and acted! DEFYING GRAVITY was very powerful. Her belt at the end blew me away! And NO GOOD DEED was just awesome! Her voice was so strong! Overall, I think she makes a different Elphaba than any other---which is a good thing!

The rest of the cast was good. Kate Reinders was sick at the show, but you couldn't tell. She was a good Glinda. Rondi Reed as Madame Morrible was really fantastic! Telly Leung has a beautiful voice for boq. He did a very nice job.

I was shocked to see Adam Fleming in the cast! He is great! I met him at the stage door after the show---so nice! He was excited to have a fan!

The Chicago cast is already really good--and it is still in previews. I can't wait to see how they do in the future!

DefyGravity23
#22re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:36pm

seeing it on friday! I'm happy for the positive reviews on here. Can't wait!

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#23re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 2:46pm

I have a feeling that when all is said and done that Ana will turn out to be the strongest Elphaba.

Telly could sing me the phone book and I would love it!

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#24re: Just back from Wicked in Chicago...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:00pm

Link - Adam Lambert is INCREDIBLE.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Videos