pixeltracker

Would You go see Liza in "Gypsy"?

Would You go see Liza in "Gypsy"?

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#0Would You go see Liza in "Gypsy"?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 10:38pm

Just curious how many would buy a ticket, You know she has desired to play "Rose" forever, But would it be a success? Would you go?
Even if it were just a national tour, It would be so much better than just another Liza Concert. I'd Go.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor
Updated On: 10/15/05 at 10:38 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 10:45pm

Ehh, isn't she a bit too old to play this role? Peters is my Rose because her Gypsy revival was my first time on a Broadway house ever and I had never been as impacted by a performance ever before as much as I was with Bernadette Peters'. Liza should just make a studio recording of the show, I'm not a big fan of her recordings of "Rose's Turn" or her version of "Some People" in the DVD of My Favorite Broadway:The Leading Ladies. Don't get me wrong, I love Liza as much as the next homosexual, but I'd prefer to see her in a concert or in a new Broadway show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#2re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 10:49pm

Well, I WOULD love it, but I just don't think Liza has the voice or the health anymore to do it successfully. It would be an endless series of missed performances.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

MargoChanning
#3re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:01pm

Well, Minnelli is 59 years old and Peters is 57 so I wouldn't necessarily call Minnelli too old. I do think Liza's voice not nearly what it was in her prime. Nevertheless, I'd love to see her do Rose, even if were just a one night only concert.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 10/15/05 at 11:01 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#4re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:01pm

Of course! She would be pretty good now that I think about it...

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#5re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:03pm

I thought the same thing at first Chris, But it seems that Liza always comes back and tops herself when she has a mind to so I wouldn't ever count her out. Too bad we will never see a revival of "The Act" - But she even missed many of those shows during that run. I guess when she was so young that late nights at 54 with Halston & Misha were simply too hard to resist.
There must be a theatrical out there for her somewhere. She was great in "Victor/Victoria" when she took over for Dame Julie - Somebody asked me how she was in that and I remember telling them "She looked like a little guy named Guido". LOL!
Either way, Liza still rocks a house and is a Master of the craft.

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#6re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:08pm

If this took place, I would be in heaven. HEAVEN.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#7re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:10pm

I would pay to see Liza read the phonebook.

enjolrasissex Profile Photo
enjolrasissex
#8re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:24pm

I'd pay to see her read the phonebook too.

If she does Gypsy, I'll give my eyeteeth to see it.

Who's stoned? I am merely travelling incognito.

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#9re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:37pm

anyone who didn't go would regret it forever. i'm sure the event would become legend, ala the callas masterclasses.( if everyone who claims to have been there was actually present, those babies would have had to be at yankee stadium, instead of a not very impressive room at the julliard school) i wouldn't miss it for the world.

Mind is Mantra.

kjklo
#10re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:47pm

In a million years, it would never happen, but of course I would go. Who wouldn't?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:58pm

i would go to see Liza in anything!!!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

PJ
#12re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:01am

Imagine how good she would have been 15 years or so ago.

But even now, hell, I'd go.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:05am

Ofcourse it would be amazing, but it would never happen.

I would like her to return to the role of Roxie, in the Chicago revival. It would be HUGE, and I would imagine it would be a hot ticket

Plus other "older legendary" actresses have taken on Roxie - Chita Rivera.
Updated On: 10/16/05 at 12:05 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#14re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:41am

When someone suggested this idea I thought of Roxie too but can Liza still dance the role like she did back in the 70s? Fred Ebb said she was very close to ake the show a hit so I can only imagine how good she was in this role. Two questions irrevelant to this thread: how was Chita as Roxie? and how bad is The Act that there are no chances of it being revived?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:52am

Is she right for the role?: No

Would I go if she were in it?: Every show.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#16re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:54am

Chita was simply "flawless" as Roxie, I saw her do it! She sang & danced circles around those in their 30's, But remember, Chita is a MASTER at dancing in the style of Fosse, and sadly, with Liza's physical limitations, I wouldn't believe Liza to be physically able to dance the part anymore. Other than that, Great Idea!
That is why "Gypsy" might work, She wouldn't have to DANCE it. Chita is a Miracle, And I am so happy she is coming back again in this new show, But remember, You cannot hold Chita up to anyone else - she is simply remarkable, At an age where others are aspiring to a nursing home she is coming back to dance on Broadway, All I can do is tip the hat and say "VIVA CHITA!".
We can't compare ANYONE with that, It's not fair. Not even the most excellent Liza. The Spirit's are willing but - the flesh is weak is sad but true.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 12:59am

Hmm. But Chicago is known for tweaking its choreography for certain stars, I don't see Liza being an exception. I can see them tweaking the choreography for her - while still keeping the the basic moves/style (unlike what happened with Melanie Griffith and the choreography.)

And they would probally re-design the Roxie costume specially for her (like they did with Chita.) Man I would love this.

Even though we probally wont see her as Momma Rose, I would LOVE to hear her sing Rose's songs.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#18re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 1:10am

Glad you mentioned that - Chita's "Roxie" Costume was soooo skimpy and VERY revealing, I would have thought they WOULD have tweaked it more, But her body was very agile and she obviously had nothing to hide - Maybe you saw it in Vegas, I saw it at the Adelphi in London and she was wearing things that those half her age would never appear in, .. And she looked DAMN HOT in it too!
You go Chita!!
I can't even imagine Liza on a ladder, There lies the problem. However, Tell Liza she cannot and, as I have said, She will top herself and prove you wrong.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#19re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 2:02am

I'd buy tickets in a heartbeat

bongoboy Profile Photo
bongoboy
#20re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 2:08am

There is no way Liza can top Joyce DeWitt at the Buck's County Playhouse...so no.

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#21re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 3:23am

Bravo Margo.

Jimmirae, love the movie "Powder". Makes me weepy everytime I watch it. The soundtrack is great also.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#22re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 11:35am

Would i go? Which nut would you like, the right or the left, because if that did happen, there's NO WAY I'd miss that...no way!

-vincent

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 11:46am

I just don't see her as a mother of small children. Bernadette pulled it off (barely) because she looks so damn young still. Liza does not, unfortunately. I don't care how old the actress actually is, it's all about the belief on stage. Liza's past the "age of belief."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

colleen_lee
#24re: Would You go see Liza in 'Gypsy'?
Posted: 10/16/05 at 11:52am

Maybe 15 years ago.

Liza just scares me now.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay