Jai Rodriguez good?

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#0Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 7:48pm

I never saw Jai Rodriquez perform before and i only know him from 'Queer Eye'....is he good?? i can't picture him singing...did anyone ever see him perform?

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 7:54pm

I think he's quite talented. I saw him play Angel in Rent, and enjoyed him very much.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Over_the_Moon
#2re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 7:56pm

He's my favorite Angel and I secretly wish it was him doing the movie.

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

gertrudejessalynn Profile Photo
gertrudejessalynn
#3re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 7:57pm

He was recently on Soaptalk or whatever performing "One Song Glory". I thought that was a refreshing change, and that he did it rather well.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#4re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 7:58pm

He's very talented and a wonderful performer. I wonder how he's faring in THE PRODUCERS.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 7:59pm

I like Jai, but him singing Glory is NOT okay.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#6re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 7:59pm

I saw him in the Producers on Saturday and I thought he was doing a great job, absolutely hysterical. Love the part.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

tagiunagi
#7re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 8:00pm

I can only imagine that this role is such a stretch for him. Give him the replacement Tony now.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

kas Profile Photo
kas
#8re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 8:06pm

i saw him in rent also - very good, and very sweet. i liked him on the hair cd, as well as on zanna..... i love zanna! he's kinda cheese, but i still love him. hopefully his acting chops will mature.

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#9re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 9:46pm

He's the best Angel I've seen.

Whatever happened to class?

YankeesFan175
#10re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/15/05 at 10:03pm

ive got the zanna dont cast recording, and hes great. hes very talented from what i hear and i hope hes doing well in the producers!

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 2:35am

the best Angel!!!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 3:01am

Great Angel, definitely not the best.

My friends have said that he's deplorable in THE PRODUCERS.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#13re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 6:38am

I've only seen him on-stage in Zanna, Don't, and he was quite good.

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#14re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 6:39am

thanks! that's good to know re: Jai Rodriguez good?

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#15re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 7:12am

As far as the Best Replacement Tony goes, whether you were kidding or not I'll just reinforce the rule: You can only be nominated if the roll you fill was up for Best Actor or Actress. Best Featured Actor/Actress will not be eligible. So Brad Oscar can be nominated by Jai Rodriguez cannot.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#16re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 7:22am

Jai was my favourite Angel and I'm a huge fan of Zanna, Don't!

PJ
#17re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:10pm

The Tony comment was sarcasm. Did you read the sentence before it?

theatreboi11
#18re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 12:20pm

buy the zanna, dont recording! he is amazing!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#19re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/16/05 at 6:25pm

Judging by the Zanna Don't CD he has a very light thin voice, but I guess with all the miking available these days you can get away with that.

RabbitRun Profile Photo
RabbitRun
#20re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/18/05 at 9:50pm

How's the chemistry between Beach & Rodriguez??

OddExoticCreature Profile Photo
OddExoticCreature
#21re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/18/05 at 10:01pm

I saw Jai at the BCEFA Halloween Benefit Party where he was "Fauxshana" and he certainly sang the **** out of "The Wizard and I" heheh. I'd love to see him in The Producers.

--Like an odd exotic creature on display inside a zoo, hearing children asking questions makes me ask some questions too...--

erinrebecca
#22re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/18/05 at 10:02pm

alterego, I wouldn't base an opinion on that cd. I've seen him live dozens of times in Rent and he's got a beautiful, strong voice. This is very evident also if you see him perform at gigs or in concert. Zanna was a cute show but nothing compared to Rent, and actually, one of my favorite performances by Jai was in Spinning into Butter where he didn't sing at all. It showed his acting chops.

touchmeinthemorning
#23re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/18/05 at 10:12pm

He was a really great Angel, perhaps the best I've ever seen (better than Wilson, I think). But, he is so absurd in The Producers -- he should never have been cast in the role. It needs someone who can parody an over-the-top gay man...and he is already that -- so, the parody is lost.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

rentmovie1205
#24re: Jai Rodriguez good?
Posted: 11/19/05 at 4:18pm

how long is jai in the producers? I want to go see it while he's in it. pm me thanks

Videos