pixeltracker

worst performance by performers at the Tony's

worst performance by performers at the Tony's

dramaamard
#0worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:20pm

i try to make it an annual thing to watch the tony's and they are pretty entertaining. most of the time. but sometimes, i can't help but think that the performances aren't all that high class. not only at the tony's but at the macy's day parade too. i mean, it isn't that hard to lip sync. (Kristin chenoweth from the 2004 Macy's Day Parade). all well. just wondering what you guys think!

Stater2002 Profile Photo
Stater2002
#1re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:21pm

::Headdesk::

My head still hurts from yesterday..

There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself. Anthony Rapp My avatar- the amazingly talented Michael Buble

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#2re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:24pm

idina menzel's defying gravity at the 2004 awards.

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#3re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:26pm

Ummmm - the don't lip synch at the Tony's.

Many performers are either already exhausted from performing shows earlier that day, having to adapt/adjust the song for a shorter period or different size stage, or incredibly nervous performing in front of some of the legends in attendance.

I really don't think you can compare the Tony's and the performance to the Macy's Parade.

That being said, Idina's DF was not anything wonderful. I heard she was sick that night, which would make sense. The gasping was pretty bad that night.

Updated On: 12/22/05 at 08:26 PM

elphatine
#4re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:31pm

Hugh Jackman and Aretha Franklin singing "Somewhere." That made my head hurt. A lot.

Idina's DG wasn't that good that night. She sounded sick; that explains it.

And yes, I don't think you can compare the Tony's to the Parade. Totally different environment, audience, experience, everything.

theatreboi11
#5re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:32pm

And you try getting up and singing in front of all those legands and tell me how good you sound!

These people are human! *SHAKES HEAD*

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#6re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:33pm

The Idina excuse that I find most popular was that she wasn't well and that she was extremely nervous and anxious.

Kristin was on the 2004 parade, only the 2003 and 2005. Yes, for 2003 they lip.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

dramaamard
#7re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:33pm

no i agree w/ you and i'm not sayin i could do any better. i just wondered what you guys thought. oh and it seems that youre an idina fan. as am i, dearie. don't get me wrong

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#8re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:42pm

Can you please use capitalization?

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#9re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:50pm

I didn't find the Piazza performance all that compelling. Based on that performance alone, I'd have never wanted to see it. But then it won all the Tony's and I heard the album . . . and everything changed. LOL

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#10re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 8:55pm

Well, Victoria Clark said in an interview after the Tony's that she was petrified because a few minutes before her performance they told her her mic wasn't working so she had to use that huge microphone and then give it to someone else in the middle of the performance once her mic was fixed. I still liked the performance though.
Hugh Jackmand and Aretha Franklin were horrible in the Tony's this year.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Jazzysuite82
#11re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:13pm

As Far as the Macy's lip synching thing goes. They did it this year too. Lip synching isn't as easy as it looks. It's harder when you're outside early in the morning in freezing weather and a huge sounds system that is bound to echo outside. I can tell you that even having an orchestra onstage and trying to sing with it in the back of an auditorium is very difficult. I can't imagine what it must be like outside.

ZONEACE
#12re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:26pm

I love the woman but Tonya's Caroline performance.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#13re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:32pm

Caroline or Change last year..
Aretha Franklin was HORRIBLE this year, they should've just had Hugh sing with someone else.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#14re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 9:45pm

defying gravity, the sweet charity medley, la cage(mainly since they cut gary's i am what i am)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#15re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:00pm

The Hugh Jackman/Aretha Franklin debacle this past year. I like them both, but that was NOT GOOD.

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#16re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:07pm

i second ZONEACE. I love Tonya to death & she was great in the show (Carolin or Change)... but she was so sick @ the Tonys. It was hard to watch

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#17re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 10:09pm

Hugh Jackman and Aretha Franklin. I don't mind either of them, but that was... YIKES.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Marguerite Chauvelin
#18re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:17pm

Hugh and Aretha are from such completely different genres that it just did not work.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#19re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:19pm

Aretha Franklin lost it... she's just a name now without any talent. Hugh completely showed her up, and I think he should have sang it with someone more talented.

And Sweet Charity's was also pretty bad too. Made my already low expectations even lower.

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

Jazzysuite82
#20re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:22pm

Ummm you can't look at Aretha's work and say she's not talented. That's a bit foolish. You don't lose talent as you get older. She's vocally not where she used to be, so she needs to stop singing so damn high. It's odd that she was even asked to do that though, she's generally got no connection to broadway.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#21re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:24pm

I also found "Lot's Wife" hard to tolerate. Interesting that people are saying Idina was sick for 2004 Tonys because when I saw that performance I loved it and it made me want to see Wicked even more than before. Her eyes were what did it for me. I was under-enthused with "Great Big Stuff" (DRS) on the Tonys last year although I had seen the show 4 months before and was falling out of my seat with laughter.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

Jazzysuite82
#22re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:27pm

I saw Idina in Wicked 3 months before the Tony's. I was front row and she had the same issues. I think she was generally a little inconsistant in the role.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#23re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:31pm

You can most definitely lose talent as you get older. There are so many people that misused their voice, and now their voices are wasted. Aretha's work in the past is admirable... but it doesn't change the fact that her voice is fading.

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#24re: worst performance by performers at the Tony's
Posted: 12/22/05 at 11:38pm

Somehow Aretha Franklin has developed this legendary status where people think she can sing ANYTHING well. Did you hear her the night she "filled" in for Pavarotti on the Grammy awards?????

Yes, the woman is a legend....in her own genre. But please, awards show producers, please stop asking her to sing things that are just so out of her reach!

Videos