pixeltracker

Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?

Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#0Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 5:59pm

What do you guys think? We all know Merman is the definitive Rose, and always will be. None of the major Mommas have yet to come close to Merman's vocals. But I think Patti could be the one. She has the right belt for the role, her voice is just perfect for it. It seems when casting for Momma Rose in the past - they went for a very strong actress - with passable/average vocal skills.

Roz Russell - not a singer, partially dubbed in the role.

Angela Lansbury - not the greatest singer - and they used lower keys for her, correct?

Tyne Daly - Killer actress, again not the greatest singer.

Bette Midler - Not her vocal best, and can sound slightly strained at times.

Bernadette Peters - lets face it - her voice just couldn't handle the score 8x a week. Experienced a lot of vocal strain/problems with this role.

Will Lupone be the one to sing these songs as powerful as the Merman? I thnk so.

I just wish Patti was playing it on Broadway. Or the performance can atleast be filmed or recorded.

*Note* I'm comparing Lupone with the most famous Roses. I'm sure there were regional (etc) Roses to nail the role vocally.

MargoChanning
#1re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 6:04pm

I think LuPone will be terrific in the role and I already have my tickets to see her. Best since Merman? Probably.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#2re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 6:09pm

I agree with Margo.

I do feel she'll be the best sung since Merman.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#3re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 6:22pm

I would anticipate Patti to be the best since Merman -- which isn't hard, considering that none of those people (besides Lansbury and possibly Midler) should have ever played the role to begin with.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#4re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 6:58pm

I do agree that LuPone will be the best-sung Rose since Merman. I wish I could see her in the role.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#5re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 7:05pm

This is one of thos roles LuPone was born to sing. (And Act!)

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

#6re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 7:06pm

Where and when is this happening?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 7:08pm

You left out La Buckley.

And the night I saw Bernadette, she nailed every single note.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#8re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 7:17pm

Well...when I saw Bernadette, she nailed every note too. She planted her feet, flung out her arms, stared into the audience, and nailed every note to the floor.

But it wasn't pretty.

BenIdIct
#9re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 7:34pm

I think Betty was the best since Merman when she did it. I'll bet Patti will give her a run for her money, but I'm not convinced yet as to who will be better. I think Maria Friedman would have been been an excellent contestant.

BwayLeadman
#10re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 7:47pm

where can I find out more info about the production?

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#11re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 7:51pm

I compleatly missed this news......WOW.....When was this announced?!!?

Songsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
#12re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:01pm

YEAH! When and where is this? Many of us missed the memo...

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#13re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:28pm

I think Bernadette is the best sung.... i think Lupone will be the closes to Merman

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:41pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/96170.html

Godddd, I want to see this so bad!

That was pretty funny, YoungerBrother - lol!

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#15re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:43pm

Here is the original thread (with details on the production):

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=874843#1585160

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#16re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:47pm

I think Bernadette Peters sang the role flawlessly and when comparing her to LuPone it's unfair to say that Peters' voice couldn't handle the show 8 times a week given that LuPone's voice won't have to.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:51pm

If Patti had to sing the role 8x a week - she would be fine. Patti has one of the most flawless and stunning belts on Broadway. Bernie is great, but vocally she dosen't have the chops Patti has. Both are simply wonderful performers though.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#18re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:01pm

I've never seen LuPone live so I can't really say anything, I'm sure she's a magnificent performer. I just get a little defensive when it comes to Peters because so many people judged her as Mamma Rose and to me she was just magical.
It is rather unfortunate Laurents would never allow this show to be recorded with LuPone on the lead. Does Sondheim have any influence over him?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

hypertruffle
#19re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:02pm

Oh man, I would do anything for a chance to see LuPone in this role. Tis a shame I don't have enough cash to buy a plane ticket. =(

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#20re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:50pm

Wait i thought Patti didn't do 8 shows a week of Evita.... if she couldn't do that i don't think she could do eight shows a week Properly as Momma Rose.....

and for those of you who are saying well she is doing it for Sweeny....This Sweeny is not crazy belt like those two shows!

dReAmiNgAwAkE Profile Photo
dReAmiNgAwAkE
#21re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:01pm

My voice teacher worked in the broadway production with Peters and said that she could sing it fine it was the screaming done in all the scenes (which the director wanted all scenes screeeamed) that killed her voice...just standing up for Peters so keep that in mind

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#22re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 10:39pm

She'll be better sung than Merman.

Not that she'll be the ONLY one who is better sung than Merman.

Annie Get Your Rose
#23re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:07pm

I guess to say that she will be the best sung since Merman you would have to think that Merman sang the role the best....If you mean loud and emotionless sure Lupone's got it. Hopefully before you have seen the show with her you know the lyrics because you will no get them if she sings them. Sure Lupone can sing loudly...but with I believe little emotion. I would take Bernadette, Angela, and Tyne over Lupone anyday.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#24re: Will Lupone Be The Best Sung Momma Rose Since Merman?
Posted: 1/6/06 at 11:18pm

Judy Kaye apparently was a smash when she played Momma in Seattle.

Videos