Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick

Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#1re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:04pm

Well, at least some people are still optimistic about the future of the movie musical....

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

AuditioningWaitress
#2re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:07pm

I really like Beyoncé, but I really don't know how to take this news...I guess I have mixed feelings.

greenegirl87
#3re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:08pm

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

Kringas
#4re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:10pm

And I'd heard Krieger was writing some new songs, too. Are they going to use any of the songs from the stage show at this point (besides "And I Am Telling You", of course)?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Updated On: 1/29/06 at 02:10 PM

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#5re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:10pm

Wow...looks like they're doing EVERYTHING they can to make sure Beyonce's name is all over this thing...good move.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#6re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:24pm

Now is the song going to be just used for the credits or in the actual film

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:26pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#8re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:44pm

What greenegirl87 said.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#9re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:46pm

She's evil. Evil.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#10re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:49pm

In all fairness, they should let Miss Hudson write the song since she is playing Effie,...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Kringas
#11re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:50pm

Huh?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#12re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 2:52pm

I seriously hope it's one of those "played during the credits songs" that they're only including for Oscar eligibility. Her style of songs are just so drastically different than the music already existing in Dreamgirls.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

jimnysf
#13re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 3:09pm

Dolly Parton ruined the score of the film version of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" because she was allowed to write her own songs for the film. Her songs were substituted for the originals and that was not a good thing!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

futurewinnerbud
#14re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 5:50pm

and look what cam eout of that "debacle"...

maybe one of the most famous songs ever written, "(and I) Will Always Love You".

True the movie sucked, but good does come from bad folks...

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#15re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 6:01pm

I'm excited for the movie.

RentBoy86
#16re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 6:09pm

I won't say a thing for or against until I actually hear the songs. Sure "bootylicious" doesn't exactly fit w/in the film, but maybe she'll change her style?

LightMyCandle Profile Photo
LightMyCandle
#17re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 6:31pm

"Oooo boy you lookin' like you like whatchyou see. Won'tchyou come ovah and check up on it I'mma letchyou work up on it..."

Genius. I for one am so excited.

End Sarcasm.

i'm a tough act to follow because when i'm done i take the microphone with me.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#18re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 6:35pm

oh wow hear we go with the haters.....
might i remind you that Beyonce is one of the only women to recieve the ASCAP Award for Songwriter of the year this organization's members include all the wonderful musical theater songwriters we know and love. including henry kreiger. so please give it a rest. like it or not she's the biggest name attached to this project. if you doubt Ms. Knowles songwriting skills, listen to the following songs:

Say My Name- listen to the lyrics. theyre utterly remarkable the way she puts them together.
Stand Up for Love- With David Foster nuff said
Dangerously In Love- one of the most beautiful songs written in the last decade i think
Speechless- her best damn song

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#19re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 6:47pm

"I Will Always Love You" wasn't written for the film of WHOREHOUSE. Parton had a hit with it years earlier with Porter Wagner.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#20re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 7:11pm

Beyonce is a bigger name than Jamie Foxx or Eddie Murphy??? I don't think so...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#21re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 7:27pm

My confidence in Bill Condon is being tested....

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#22re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 7:53pm

So there goes my faith in the movie. I hate Beyonce's style of songwriting. The majority of her songs consist of the generic R&B formula, "let's sample something from the 70's/80's and brag about my ego to men/women". Why not just make her rewrite the songs in her own way?? I'm sure she'll add God-Knows how many syllables to every damn song the same way Whitney Houston added 50 notes to "I Will Always Love You".

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 8:01pm

Say My Name- listen to the lyrics. theyre utterly remarkable the way she puts them together.
Stand Up for Love- With David Foster nuff said
Dangerously In Love- one of the most beautiful songs written in the last decade i think
Speechless- her best damn song

--- While those are great songs, and I think Beyonce is very talented. Those songs and her other songs are NOT of the Broadway caliber. Has she ever actually written MUSIC? Yes, she writes lyrics. But what about notes and melodies? Most of her songs are usually co-written, and we know what that sometimes means.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#24re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick
Posted: 1/29/06 at 8:09pm

I just hope that if this is true that the songs actually fit into the context of the movie and aren't just songs that are obviously there to showcase her.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter