Wicked: Movie Musical?

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#0Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:15pm

Does anybody think that there will ever be a movie musical for Wicked?

Kringas
#1re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:17pm

I'd point out there have been copious other threads about this topic, but I'm sure to be called names and have my looks insulted.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

timote316
#2re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:17pm

If movie musicals continue the way they are going, no. However, I would assume it will happen at some point.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#3re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:18pm

Not your looks, Kringas, just your knees.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#4re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:19pm

I'm not sure if it would work. A line like "It's good to see me, isn't it?" works best live and accompanied with laughter.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:21pm

If they make a film of Wicked, they should make a mini-series that actually follows the book instead of mainstreaming the entire plot.
Updated On: 2/19/06 at 07:21 PM

Magicupoursleeves Profile Photo
Magicupoursleeves
#6re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:22pm

Also,I think the inevitable comparisons to Wizard of Oz would not work in its favor. Not so much with the younger audience, but I think the older audience.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#7re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:44pm

Much of the effects on stage would not transfer well to the screen - such as Defying Gravity. There would not be that special "spark" that accompanies it live on stage. I'm not fully against the idea of using the book as a basis for a movie, though.

TheaterAddict7652
#8re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:47pm

Eventually? Probably yes
In the near future? No. While Universal does own the film rights, there isn't a need to make one. All three productions of it (Broadway, tour, Chicago) are each making about $1 million a week.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

colleen_lee
#9re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 7:50pm

I have to agree with Bobby. I think the novel has some potential for movie. The musical has been streamlined so that plot is almost non-existent. It would make a dreadful film in its current state.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

TheaterAddict7652
#10re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 9:04pm

I agree that the book would be better on screen, but I don't think it should be a movie. Like Bobby said, it should be a mini-series...on HBO, so the nature of hte book would be as realistic as possible. (Like all of her sex with Fiyero...I can't see that in an ABC mini-series)

RentBoy86
#11re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:16pm

I don't think the stage show would work at all as a movie musical. I love the show on stage, but like someone said, most of the effects and whatnot wouldn't work on film. I think a lot of it would come off as cheesy sorta like the RENT film did with some of its songs.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#12re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:17pm

I'm not sure if it would work. A line like "It's good to see me, isn't it?" works best live and accompanied with laughter.

So you change the lines. The whole idea wouldn't work because of one line?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 2/19/06 at 10:17 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:23pm

"So you change the lines. The whole idea wouldn't work because of one line?"

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.
And it's even funnier to say that the effects wouldn't work onscreen, being that special effects are much more screen-friendly.
A non-musical version would had been interesting, but the musical is too popular now for that.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:24pm

I would actually not mind a non-musical version more closely based on the book.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#15re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:27pm

I agree with luvtheEmcee. It would flow a lot better.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#16re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/19/06 at 10:43pm

I'm torn on the whether I'd like a musical version or the book version.

The musical could be done well with some modifications here and there. There are moments that could be great!

Wizard and I - Elphaba's big finish on a hill with a "Gone of the Wind" silhouette overlooking Oz and Shiz.

Defying Gravity - Her actually flying on the broom and into the sky. For some reason, I think it would be cool if she flew through a sklylight crashing the glass during the "It's Me!" part and beginning the big finish in the sky, flying through clouds and seeing her cape and dress flapping in the wind...of course = $$$

No Good Deed - her transition as the "wicked witch" could really be scary and make everything come full circle.

ANYWAY...
Obviously, should they follow the book, it would be much darker with a disrection thing for audiences. The problem with adapting the book is that the plot it's horizontally linear after Fiyero's death thru to most of the end. When Dorothy arrives is where things pick up.

In any case, I don't see this happening any time soon.

TheaterAddict7652
#17re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:18am

I agree Kevinoes, after Fiyero's death I thought that the book was too slow until Dorothy's arrival, but that part would have to be included in a movie verison.

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#18re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:30am

This will probably never be made into a movie. While it has been very successful on stage, this is because of the huge effects and spectacle of it all. In the movie world this is all very common place. It'd be like trying to pass the Wizard of Oz off, today, as a huge step in special effects. The climax (my opinion) of the show is Defying Gravity, and well...in a movie I've seen many people fly, I don't think I'd be too amazed.

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#19re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:34am

Well back in December 2004, I had the great fortune in going to Universal Studios (not like it was my first time) but, I got to go with a few friends. Anyway, I was on the tour of the park and during the tour, you can see a BIG BILLBOARD sign of WICKED the musical on the outside of one of the Sound Stages. Anyway, at that time, the tour guide had given us a sample about how Universal was one of the Producers for the stage-show. That is correct, anyway, he also mentioned that the musical was in pre-production for a movie to be released sometime in 2007-2008. As far as I cam concerned, that is stilling happening, but things do change!

Drtheatre

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#20re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:39am

This show was made to be a movie not a musical.... please take it to movie theatre and out of the Gershwin

ze emcee Profile Photo
ze emcee
#21re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 12:40am

I think that show is great, however, the magic in that show can only happen on stage. I mean, the best part is when a witch flies, and lets face it, there are PLENTY of movies that have flying people in it, it been done.

thevolleyballer
#22re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 2:26am

I think eventually the answer is, undoubtedly, yes. Movies nowadays are getting SO unoriginal, it's ridiculous. Rarely do you see a fresh idea for a film -- maybe about 1/4 of those released the entire year. The rest are remakes, sequels, or based on comics/video games. You can even see how they're starting to resort to the movie musical genre -- Rent, Hairspray, Hedwig, Chicago, Dreamgirls, Sweeney. Especially with the success of Disney's High School Musical (yeah, kill me now, guys). I think it might be the next 'big' genre.

collins Profile Photo
collins
#23re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 8:00am

Though it's wishful thinking, I'd like to see the original cast filmed live on stage. Actually, I wish all musicals could be filmed as a movie and on stage.

<---Adopt a shelter pet!

jollipops Profile Photo
jollipops
#24re: Wicked: Movie Musical?
Posted: 2/20/06 at 8:05pm

Every chance in the world I may be crucified for this...

But does anyone else think 'Wicked' would work well as a Disney-esque animated feature?

Just a thought.

Videos