Evita Film and Bright Lights

Drewprecht Profile Photo
Drewprecht
#0Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/21/06 at 10:20pm

I just wanted to know what you guys think of it. I am still pondering. What do you think of the film as a whole? And what do you think of Madonna? Magaldi? Jonathon Pryce? etc.

Also, was thinking about buying the Bright Lights Big City! Recording...Is it any good? Thanks!!!!

#1re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/21/06 at 10:25pm

I love the Evita film. I thought Madonna and everyone else were great. I know not everyone is a fan. But I love it. maybe because I have good memories of driving in the rain to see it with my grandmother ... but still.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#2re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/21/06 at 10:50pm

i love Evita the film. Antonio is so hott and such a good singer. and he had no idea what he was saying at that time (i meant, he didn;t know English). The only film he did know English for was Zorro.

and bright Lights is a pretty good cast recoring. Jesse L Martin is in it. and Sherie Rene Scott.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

RentBoy86
#3re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/21/06 at 10:59pm

Yes, buy the CD, its great music. Its a great CD to listen to on long drives because the songs sorta go right into each other w/o any breaks.

TheaterAddict7652
#4re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 12:09am

I think the Evita film was ok. It could have been a lot better, but it also could have been worse. I think that Madonna tried hard to play Eva well, it just happends that she's not the best actor. Vocally, I don't think she's suited for the role- she seemed to weak. Antonio was very good as Che, in my opinion.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

Hoof
#5re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 9:30am

Although I like BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY, it's not one of my favourites. So, my advice is if you have nothing else on your shopping list then get it, but other than that buy something else. It's like a less than fantastic version of RENT.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#6re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 9:37am

I liked the film version of Evita a lot. I thought Madonna did a fine job portraying Eva, and I was pleased with her performance of the songs. Antonio was perfect for the role of Che and he played it with gusto. The only downside for me regarding Antonio is that a lot of the time the lyrics he sung were hard to understand.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

#7re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 10:08am

Hey Dre2387, don't forget that Patrick Wilson is in it too!! (Such a hottie!)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 10:21am

This may sound silly, but the main thing that bothers me about the movie "Evita" is Madonna's contact lenses. They make her look like a lifeless, glass-eyed devil doll through the whole movie.

(I know, they were trying to disguise her blue eyes, and make her look more "Latin," but they WAY overdid it.)

If (as they say) "the eyes are a window to the soul," she doesn't have one... at least not in this movie. It creeps me out, more and more, with every viewing. It sabotages her performance, and gives the whole movie a sense of falseness, because we can never get "at" her true emotions.

Such a shame, because I think the film (aside from that) is good.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 2/22/06 at 10:21 AM

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#9re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 10:27am

Best12..I have never noticed that before--but since you mentioned it I am going to go put in the movie this evening to see for myself!

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

OasisBroadway
#10re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 10:50am

I think the film is very well done. Madonna is not the best singer but she works for the role in the film. One thing I have always wondered (and I am sure it has been dicussed here but I cannot locate it) is why Eva sings "Another Suitcase in Another Hall" in the film?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#11re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 10:51am

BLBC is good. Parts of it are far more listen-able than others are, IMO, but the cast's vocal talent is unbeatable. I don't love it as much as I thought I would (or wish I did, for that matter!) but I'd still recommend it, even though sometimes it is a little bit odd.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#12re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 10:54am

yes buy the "bright lights" cd.

the "evita" movie was good, but as nice as antonio is to look at i cannot understand a single word he sings - if i hadn't known the show i might have been totally lost.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#13re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 11:13am

Bright Lights was a "Rent-ish"/Rock-Pop Musical that is recorded very well. Buy it!! Patrick Stewart is great and Sheri Rene-Scott does a nice job. Sometimes confusing because people do play multiple parts (i.e. Eden Espinosa plays Coma Baby, Pot Girl, and sings in the ensemble; you get a little confused), so read the synopsys very well before listening.

Evita the movie is good for what it was. Could have been more striking and dynamic, but they went for a certain feel. Madonna, whom can do no wrong IMHO, had a lot to do with filming and it shows (costume, make-up, choreography or the lack there of). She plays a believable Evita with less stress on the vocal score, but the emotion and character are def. there (with a Golden Globe as Best Actress to prove it). I think it's a shame because it's such a demanding vocal role that was toned down for her, but I still was moved. Get it at like Best Buy or some place like that (they always have cheaper prices on DVD's). Antonio is very sexy in it!! Jonathan Pryce is fine and has a lack of chemistry with Madonna, but it actually IMO works for the movie. I like the score as far as it being updated and it's bigger and sounds more like it was intended to be heard (Hollywood money, you know!)

"All I want is the truth, just give me some truth!"- J. Lennon

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 11:14am

I think you mean Patrick Wilson. re: Evita Film and Bright Lights Patrick Stewart is the old guy on Star Trek.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

lovinlife Profile Photo
lovinlife
#15re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 11:25am

I truly did mean Wilson. Very very sorry!!!

"All I want is the truth, just give me some truth!"- J. Lennon

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 2:44pm

I agree, read the synopsys first for Bright Lights. I really love the recording and played it constantly for the 1st month I had it.

Really liked the Evita Movie. She was born to play the part. Not as strong of a voice as Lupone, of course, but still right for the part.

Just give the world Love.

pauseforamoment99 Profile Photo
pauseforamoment99
#17re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 3:17pm

I highly recommend Bright Lights Big City.
Especially the Songs: Kindness, Brother (1,2,& 3), Perfect Feeling, Heart and Soul, and Wordfall.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#18re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 3:51pm

Do you think EVITA would have worked better as a movie musical with songs instead of a movie opera? For example, get rid of the recitative, keep the songs (arias), and fill in the story with dramatic scenes, as well as with characters not used in the stage production. One more thing, do you think "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" could have been used toward the end? I first listened to the song before I knew the entire score and, taken out of context, the song appears to be Eva singing from the grave, recounting her life story. [In the stage production, she sings it at Peron's inauguration. Basically, she's telling the people that although she has risen to heights of glory, she assures them that she hasn't left them.] I think for a film version it could have been sung at the end, during Eva's last balcony appearance.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

SweeneyPhanatic
#19re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 4:18pm

In regards to why Eva sings "Suitcase": To be able to film on location, the film's producers had to agree to make the Eva in the film a bit more likeable than how she is typically portrayed on stage (a power-hungry bitch). So, to aid in the softer image, they trimmed the misstress character and gave Eva a sad "feel pity for me" song. It's only sung by the Misstress in the stage show to give the Eva actress a break for some breathing time and a costume change. In film, it also makes for a smoother transition from a little 15-year-old girl coming to the big city ("Buenos Aires") to the whore in "Goodnight and Thank You." On stage, it's actually more true to reality with the sudden Magaldi-dump, but the film had to sugarcoat.

The sugarcoating also explains this change:

STAGE VERSION:

EVA: Just listen to that! The voices of Argentina! We are adored; we are loved!

OFFICER: Statesmanship is more than entertaining peasents.

EVA: We shall see, little man!

FILM VERSION:

EVA: Just listen to that! The voices of Argentina! We are adored; we are loved!

OFFICER: Statesmanship is more than entertaing peasents.

EVA'S MOTHER: We shall see, little man.

Also:

STAGE VERSION:

ARISTOCRATIC MAN: Things have reached a pretty pass, when someone pretty lower-class, graceless and vulgar, uninspired, can be accapted and admired.

EVA: But your despicable class is dead! Look who they are calling for now!

FILM VERSION:

ARISTOCRATS: (same as Man)

ARISTOCRATIC WOMAN: But our privelaged class is dead. Look who they are calling for now.

okay, long post. Gonna shut up now.

-- SDG

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#20re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 5:26pm

The EVITA film was mediocre, and Madonna's singing was barely passable. It's just so hard to distance one's self from Patti LuPone's rafter-destroying vocals, and then to listen to Madonna singing the songs all transposed to lower keys. And seeing women like Sarah Litzsinger sing the hell out of the songs live onstage doesn't help advance Madonna's cause either. I recently put the film soundtrack in my player and I had to take it out: HIGH FLYING ADORED and RAINBOW HIGH simply do not work in the key of Madonna.

Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Pryce, however, fared much better than Madonna did in the film.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#21re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 5:27pm

highly reccommend bright lights, deep stuff and great voices

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#22re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/22/06 at 5:28pm

Everytime I listen to BLBC Ilve it a bit more...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

rickydrummer
#23re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/23/06 at 5:37pm

I read the book of "Bright Lights, Big City" after buying the recording, and that make the CD soooo much more enjoyable. The songs can seem kind of random without having a bit more insight into the characters. The novel is really good; it's by Jay McInerney.

phantom8019
#24re: Evita Film and Bright Lights
Posted: 2/26/06 at 1:03am

Why isn't there a special edition DVD of Evita? This bothers me so much. I think now that it is the 10-year anniversary of the movie they should release one. Anyone else?

Videos