Favorite Sondheim

StartaFire Profile Photo
StartaFire
#0Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:29pm

I think we can all agree that Stephen Sondheim is amongst the greatest composers of musical theatre ever!

However which Sondheim show (revival or original cast) is your favorite?

Mine is the Original cast of Into the Woods.
Updated On: 4/26/06 at 10:29 PM

C is for Company
#1re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/26/06 at 10:31pm

In terms of adoration for the casts: Orginal SITPWG, Original Passion, Revival Sweeney, Original Sweeney, Original Into the Woods, Original Company are the main ones that come to mind in that order of favoritism.

In terms of my personal favoritism to his shows the order is: Sweeney, Sunday, Company, Passion, ITW

musicman89 Profile Photo
musicman89
#2re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:16am

SWEENEY TODD is a theatrical masterpiece, followed very closely by SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." ~ Freddie Mercury
Updated On: 6/22/06 at 01:16 AM

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#3re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:41am

Sweeney is a masterpiece, but I really enjoyed the original cast prod of "A Little Night Music." Guess I was a brooding Sweede in another life.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 4/27/06 at 01:41 AM

shesamarshmallow
#4re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:43am

Assassins. There's just something about it.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:19am

Favorite: FOLLIES and SUNDAY
Least favorite: BOUNCE and THE FROGS

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#6re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:42am

SWEENEY TODD even after 26 years is still my favourite of all his shows.

Running a very close second is SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.

I don't really have a "least favourite" of his shows. I was one of the few who saw BOUNCE in Chicago 3 years ago and while it was problematic, I found it far more interesting and enjoyable than many of the current "hits." And the score has stood up to repeated listening.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#7re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 10:14am

Follies is one of his best, the score is haunting and beautiful, plus some great numbers for actors. My other faves are Sweeney Todd and A Little Night Music. I got to be in Company and that has some fun songs, but not really a fave of mine.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 10:33am

Sweeney Todd, followed very closely by A Little Night Music and Sunday.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Thesbijean
#9re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 10:51am

A Little Night Music, followed by Sunday in the Park with George

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#10re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 11:32am

ORIGINAL. MERRILY. WE. ROLL. ALONG.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#11re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 11:38am

Sweeney Todd
Sunday in the Park with George
Follies
A Little Night Music

But not always in that order re: Favorite Sondheim

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#12re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 11:47am

Sweeney
Follies
Pacific Overtures
Assassins

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#13re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 11:50am

Original GYPSY.

I know...it's only his lyrics.

But it's fecking brilliant.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#14re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 12:15pm

You people who are picking four or five are cheating!

It's a ridiculously difficult decision, but I think Sweeney Todd is the only show of his which to me feels completely flawless.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#15re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 12:40pm

While I believe Sweeney Todd is a composition masterpiece, A Little Night Music is my favorite over all.

Color and Light
#16re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:19pm

Well, if I can only pick one ... Sweeney Todd. But just barely. Sunday in the Park with George constantly gives it a run for its money in my #1 spot.

Stop looking at my charisma.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#17re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:59pm

Well I am sorry for cheating! :-p

If I have to pick one, then it's pacific overtures...

No, sweeney...

Well pacific overtures...

But....

OH TOO HARD OF A DECISION!!!!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#18re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:03pm

I hate the word "feck"

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Color and Light
#19re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:42pm

You would hate my Modern Irish Literature teacher, Munk! Every other word out of his mouth ... he even writes it out as "feck", because he's apparently more bashful about spelling it out than actually saying it.

Stop looking at my charisma.
Updated On: 4/27/06 at 02:42 PM

MargoChanning
#20re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:59pm

Sunday in the Park with George

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

mrslovett7
#21re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:19pm

I think it might be safe to say Sweeney Todd is one of the best shows ever.

It is without question my favorite. I think my favorite cast is from the 2001 concert at the Philharmonic- perfect.

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#22re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:29pm

Anyone Can Whistle....

and
Sweeney Todd re: Favorite Sondheim

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#23re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:33pm

My first major stage role was as Hero is A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum so I will have to go with that one -- although Sweeney Todd is not far behind (it may even be 1-b)!

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#24re: Favorite Sondheim
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:34pm

I absolutely love the original cast of Into the Woods, but I also love the music from Follies. I strangely find both stuck in my head at random times.

Videos