pixeltracker

'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!

'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!

circusliz Profile Photo
circusliz
#0'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:12pm

Just saw this on Playbill.com:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/99695.html

Anyone else think this is a bad idea? It seems to me that there's nothign "new" to explore with this show, and that it will just be an opportunity for producers to earn money with stunt casting.

Opinions?

On the road of life, do not pause for suicidal chipmunks who freeze in your headlights, seeking death by your tires...
Updated On: 5/15/06 at 12:12 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:19pm

I saw the revival in the early 90s a few times and enjoyed myself. If done well, I don't have a problem with someone bringing this show back to Broadway.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#2re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:27pm

One of my favorite shows... wouldn't bother me at all.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#3re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:28pm

I am actually looking forward to this! I love this show

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:29pm

Not a huge fan of the show, but if it's a good production, why not?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#5re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:30pm

It is VERY different to the Broadway Revival you guys had... much darker... needs abit of working there it was abit boring at times... but the main numbers... WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! The choregraphy scene was simply amazing and 'The Havana' scene remains one of my fav. moments in the theatre!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#6re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:30pm

I'd hate it. It is a great show, especially when done well...but I hate when things are revived too often, the latest revival only closed ten years ago.

I felt the same way about Gypsy w/ Bern.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#7re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:37pm

I am extatic. I have never seen a live version and am so happy that this classic show will be returning to Broadway. Now lets hope Jane comes on board for the show...

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

jimnysf
#8re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:38pm

I'd rather see this than another tired film turned into a musical or another jukebox musical. I loved this show in the 90's. Saw Nathan Lane, Adam Arkin, and Jamie Farr play Nathan Detroit on Broadway. I also saw Lorna Loft in the tour and she was excellent!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#9re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:39pm

You don't think Ewan would consider it...?

greenegirl87
#10re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:40pm

What are the chances of Ewan transferring to the US?

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

Yankeefan007
#11re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:41pm

I'm almost positive the "Name Cast members" they're exploring are Ewan and Jane.

greenegirl87
#12re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:42pm

re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again?  Say it ain't so!

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

shesamarshmallow
#13re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:48pm

But hasn't Ewan been doing it for nigh on a year? That said, I'd fly out there in a heartbeat if he was announced. Jane, too. Wow, I'm absurdly excited!

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#14re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 12:54pm

This revival was far from excellent and to bring it to broadway, I think, is a waste of a theatre. The production was done darkly in more of a film noir style that just didn't fit with the Runyon dialogue and catchy Loesser songs. Krakowski was good fun, but McGreggor sounded like Kermit the frog in the majority of his singing. Very back of the throat. Let's revive something else, or (shockingly) try an original musical.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#15re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 1:02pm

I dont know if they would ask Ewan though. I think he is a wonderful actor but he did not get very good reviews on the West End. That said, I would still love to see him, just dont know how likely it would be.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

MargoChanning
#16re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 1:10pm

OK, so next years revivals might be:

A Chorus Line
Les Miserables
Company
110 In The Shade

Guys and Dolls?
Pal Joey?
The Wiz?
My Fair Lady?
A Little Night Music?
West Side Story?
The Apple Tree?
Sunday in the Park?
Mame?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#17re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 1:16pm

"I also saw Lorna Loft in the tour and she was excellent!"

I saw her as well and found her to be rather bland. None of her jokes landed. The revival tour was like watching a film version with your thumb firmly held on the Fast Forward button. Everyone had their blocking, choreography and lines down. That was about all there was to it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#19re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 1:45pm

I actually think Harry Connick would sound great.
Cudnt wait... 2 more wks til seeing Adam Cooper and Sally Ann Triplett in the show!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#20re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 1:57pm

Isn't this old news?

I thought they released this new months ago.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

CompletlyNakedStatue Profile Photo
CompletlyNakedStatue
#21re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 2:01pm

Only if Ewan and Jane do it... otherwise... blah.

JerseyScoundrel
#22re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 2:38pm

I am actually excited about this. I love the revival cast recording with Nathan Lane and Peter Gallagher. It would be great to see it again.

"This is a stupid story. It never stops. But we keep making lemonade! We're opening the biggest f***ing lemonade stand you ever saw!" -Walter Bobbie after a long day of Sweet Charity Rehersals (Newyorkmetro.com)

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#23re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 4:00pm

I just finished performing in a production of this, and I loved it. I wouldn't mind having it back onB roadway.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#24re: 'Guys & Dolls' on B'way again? Say it ain't so!
Posted: 5/15/06 at 5:20pm

Isn't this production suppose to be realstic....

i hope Jane is back on for Adelaide