pixeltracker

Passion Score - What Do You Think?

Passion Score - What Do You Think?

RentBoy86
#0Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 5:34am

I orderd the Passion score off Amazon.com the other day and it finally arrived in the mail. (Seriously, look into the used Amazon.com CDs, I got Passion for like $3.00). Anyways, since I was driving home that afternoon (a 2hr trip), I thought I'd listen to it. And I must say, I really liked it. The story was engaging and the music was beautiful. I really liked the story. I would love to know how the show was live? Was Fosca's entrance as captivating as I would imagine it is?

After listening to several Sondheim scores, I think I much prefer his more serious works to his lighter fare. Although, I am rather fond of bits and pieces of Into the Woods and I really adore the Saturday Night score. I wish that show was produced more frequently so I could see it staged.

(On a side note: The booklet for the CD is so great. The synopsis is done through pictures as well as words. It's really cool.)

chenofan Profile Photo
chenofan
#1re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 5:38am

I simply adore this show - check out the video if you ahve the chance. THe score is truly stunning. Donna Murphy is a force of nature. Loving You is my fav. lov song. I cannot get enough of the show.

"You look like a Christmas tree with a drinking problem!" - MEMPHIS

tophertilson Profile Photo
tophertilson
#2re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 6:42am

It's probably the most musically sophisticated score to hit Broadway since CANDIDE. Just sublime, though the story can be a bitter pill to swallow for some.

TT

"Me flunk English? That's unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggum

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#3re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 7:07am

Passion is my favorite, favorite musical - it is indeed sublime. The score is absolutely divine and the lyrics are so thought provoking - every time I listen to it I discover a new layer to the piece I never thought of. Yes, definitely watch the DVD - it is an amazing theatrical experience captured beautifully on film.

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

SeptemberKel
#4re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 8:38am

Passion is my favorite musical, as well! I find the score so rich and intricate and the lyrics are so moving. I could go on and on for days about Passion, but I'll spare you. re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?

I had the pleasure of seeing it live during its run. To answer your question about Fosca's entrance, the entrance loses something on the DVD version, but if you ever have the chance to see it live, it is so captivating and intense. Phew. It's incredible. One of those theatrical moments that emblazes itself in your memory.

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

Mattbrain
#5re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 8:51am

Dude, Passion's an awesome show. But if you really want to see a great production of Passion, you should be on the lookout for any reruns of the Kennedy Center Concert production staged by the master of concert versions of musicals, Mr. Lonny Price. That production had a helluva lot more levels than the Broadway DVD version. I'm not saying that the DVD version is bad. I'm just saying that I understood what was going on with each character. With this production, I got Giorgio's initial insensitivity and also understood the tragedy of the situation when Fosca is reading the letter from Giorgio as he makes love to Clara. I understood that this was a woman getting her heart broken as the man she loves makes love to the woman he thinks he loves. That is genuine tragedy. All in all, Passion is a beautiful score and definitely one of a kind.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#6re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 8:57am

Mattbrain - didn't even know about this production/concert.

Passion was the first Sondheim musical I went to see on Broadway. Initially walking out of the theatre it didn't really wow me, but months later, it truly haunted me, and it's score really grew in appreciation. Truly a beautifully moving score.

As much as I loved Maria Friedman and Michael Ball in WIW (and loved WIW as well) the London recording of Passion isn't even in the same league as the Broadway cast recording. That being said, The LuPone Passion at Lincoln Center was to me absolutely dreadful.

Don't know if that's because Donna Murphy set the bar so high but I've yet to hear or see any performace of Passion that's been better...

Jim

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#7re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 10:10am

It is also one of my favorites! It is so amazing and so moving! I have both recordings, and I really can't compare Maria and Donna, because they play off the part very differently. I have the dvd of the broadway production (which you can buy on amazon) and it is amazing. Every move made, every note sang...It is something that broadway doesn't get a lot of, and it is just perfect. Also, Marin Mazzie is wonderful! Gosh I love passion!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

bestnurse Profile Photo
bestnurse
#8re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 11:00am

You can actually buy the DVD of the performance. It's amazing. I think I got it form Amazon or Overstock.com, I forget but I got it about two months ago. You'll love it. Donna Murphy's performance is really moving.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#9re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 1:58pm

i found it difficult to get into it at first listen, but when I listened again I found myself very much enjoying it

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#10re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 2:08pm

i also love the concert. it was performed a little over a year ago with Audra, Michael Cerveris, and patti lupone. def. worth a visit.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

C is for Company
#11re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 3:09pm

It is indeed a haunting tale and the music is just woven in so well to the story. I love it, the dvd or any other seeing for that matter is just an experience, not like many other shows.

RentBoy86
#12re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 3:37pm

It is def. a score that has to be listened to all the way through on first listen. Usually I split up listens and listen to a couple songs each day, but that's why I like long trips because I can listen to the whole thing as it was meant to be heard. I will def. get the DVD. Cannot wait to see it.

Isabella2
#13re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 5:06pm

love it... don't have the right words to describe...beautiful...intense... everything.... gah.. LOVE THE SHOW!

DONNA MURPHY!!!!

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#14re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 6:25pm

I too adore the score and show itself. I have to admit though that it took some getting used to for myself. I bought the sondheim DVD collection and for a couple months, it was the show that I had the hardest time adjusting to. I couldn't grasp the score at first but after repeated viewings I grew to really appreciate it and it has become one of my favorite shows. Donna, Marin and Jere are remarkable. Just beautiful performances and a trully terific score.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#15re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/21/06 at 7:51pm

One of my absolute favorite scores. Love it.

I don't think Giorgio has any initial insensitivity. One of the first conversations in it:

Clara: "That we ever should have met is a miracle--"
Giorgio: "No, inevitable!"
Clara: "Then inevitable yes, but I confess... etc."

I love that line. I think he's supremely romantic, which is wh he ultimately falls for Fosca, because she loves him so much that the idea of it moves him. Whereas the pragmatic Clara, who married for security, ultimately settles for security.

"I would live... and I would die for you."

Ah! The music is SO gorgeous!

yr ronin,
joey

#16re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/27/06 at 7:06pm

I prefer the OLC recording

fav line has to be

"and if I should die tomorrow or live and forced to go"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/27/06 at 7:57pm

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

I fell in love with the score from my first listen. And the DVD is amazing. Beautiful performances.

mrslovett7
#18re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/27/06 at 11:23pm

I'm not going to lie, the first time I saw it i loathed it with a burning passion (ha! no pun intended). Donna Murphey scared the sh*t out of me and i just did not like the music. so i lent the dvd to my friend and found myself singing some of the letter songs in my head. I just recently got it back and I am in love with the whole opening scene. I love the song Happiness and the letters. The music is so much more appealing now. I guess it just grew on me.

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

Jazzysuite82
#19re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/27/06 at 11:35pm

I find it interesting that we have such varying reactions to things. I never had to get used to a score by Sondheim, LaChiusa, or Guettel. I loved them. What took time to grow on me? Shows like Les Miz and Pippin.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#20re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/29/06 at 12:24am

Well, aren't we a bit haughty, Jazzy!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Jazzysuite82
#21re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/29/06 at 12:26am

Plears, get real. Actually that comment had nothing to do with pride. It had everything to do with differing tastes.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#22re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/29/06 at 12:44am

PASSION is one of those special scores where the more you listen the more you fall in lve with it. Tghe line in the finale that always gets me is "Why is love so easy to give and so hard to receive?"

The commentary track on the DVD is fascinating!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#23re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/29/06 at 1:06am

I saw a video of the performance @ LC & fell in love with it instantly. The music is incredible from the opening drums to the very end.

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#24re: Passion Score - What Do You Think?
Posted: 5/29/06 at 1:06am

I saw a video of the performance @ LC & fell in love with it instantly. The music is incredible from the opening drums to the very end.

Videos