pixeltracker

Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love- Page 15

Little Moments on Cast Recordings That You Love

Amaranth9 Profile Photo
Amaranth9
#350Favorite Moments
Posted: 6/29/09 at 6:33pm

I third "the hydrants are open" on the In the Heights recording, along with all of "Blackout."

I also love the little bit that Andrea does at the end of "Carnival del Barrio" where she riffs on "Adios, Adios." Seth Rudetsky mentioned it on one of his deconstructions. The words are a nod to the song "En Mi Viejo San Juan" a heartbreaking love song to Puerto Rico, where the narrator ages throughout the song and sings of dieing separated from their homeland. Gets me teary every time.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#351Favorite Moments
Posted: 6/30/09 at 3:09am

This is not really a FAVORITE moment, as much as something I just really love. That being said, I enjoy it enough to play the song over and over again and also take an active part in it. Basically one of my favorite songs (ONE of them, I have a plethora of favorites) is "With One Look" from the London Cast Recording of Sunset Blvd., sung by Patti LuPone.

My favorite moment in the song is a combination of things. The last twenty seconds or so of her singing, from "they'll say 'Norma's back at last'" to the end are fantastic. But any time I listen to it on my iTunes I stop the second a few seconds after, ending it with LuPone/Norma ordering, "Now go".

For me it is just so very LuPone and such a perfect way to end the song, despite the fact that there is still more dialogue. Even despite the fact that said dialogue includes the line about her hating the term 'comeback', which I really do like. I just like the song to end that way and thus this is one of my favorite moments.

spell7107 Profile Photo
spell7107
#352Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/8/09 at 2:28pm

BUMP!

In the OLC Recording for Sister Act: The Musical, I love when during Fabulous, Baby! one of the girls singing with Patina says, "There she goes fantamasizin'...again!" I always laugh at that moment.

FinalDestination Profile Photo
FinalDestination
#353Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/8/09 at 2:47pm

I have a lot but my two favorites are on the Wicked OBCR.

At the end of "The Wizard and I" when Idina sings "The wizard (pause/music stops) AND I" I love the music in those last few seconds.

Also, in Defying Gravity where Elphaba is rising, the music that builds to "So if you care to find me" I think is amazing.

"That's a good point. Next time I pee on a Starbucks couch and throw straws and napkins at a barista, I'll just yell, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME OUTSIDE OF STARBUCKS! YOU DON'T KNOW ME AT ALL!" and that should do it. "-LizzieCurry

peerrjb
#354Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/8/09 at 3:24pm

OBC of "Little Night Music", Hermione Gingold in "Liasons".
"Take my daughter, I taught her; I tried my best to point the way..
I EVEN NAMED HER....DESIREE." A brilliant moment of music-lyric-performance... Of course, it helps if you know that "Desiree" means "Desired One"....

Also --
The astonishing trumpet solo work in the "Mame" number during the big dance break and then towards the end of the song. Just gets higher and higher and hotter... A GREAT Philip J. Lang / Roger Adams arrangement, but the soloist really should have been credited for giving the tune that incredible BUMP IT WITH A TRUMPET moment!

Updated On: 8/8/09 at 03:24 PM

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#355Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/22/09 at 4:38pm

Bumpity bump bump.

Caroline, Or Change -

At then end of Caroline and Noah's fight, Caroline sings, in a voice so low you can barely hear it: "And hell's where Jews go when they die." It's chilling, beautiful, and hideous all at the same time.

Hair -

I love the trombones at the end of Three Five Zero Zero.

During White Boys, when the backup singers go, "Groovy groovy groovy."

9 to 5 -

The only song from this show that I really like is One of the Boys, and I especially like the part where Violet says, "Competing is my greatest joy."

I know you. I know you. I know you.

AndAllThatJazz22
#356Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/22/09 at 8:39pm

Passing Strange:
Merci Beaucoup, M. Godard- I love it when Stew sings 'culture'.

Keys (Marianna)- This is kind of creepy, but I love the way Marianna says 'Underwear are everywhere'.

HAIR:
Hare Krishna/Be In-I LOVE it when they sing 'Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Drop Out, Drop Out, Drop Out, Drop Out, Be In, Be In, Be In, Be In.

I can't stop listening to the 'Burn it's either. Sooooo powerful.

Where Do I Go- I love the ending, when the cast is chanting 'Beads, Flowers, Happiness' behind all of Claude's big notes. It's extremely powerful.

Into The Woods:
Agony- The 'Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah's are SO addicting. I can't stop listening to them.

Company:
Side By Side- I love it when Raul sings the lyrics "Here is the church, here is the steeple. Open the door and look at the crazy married people".

You Could Drive a Person Crazy- "Bobby is my hobby and I'm giving him up!"

Yep...that's all I can think of right now.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

IfYouCan
#357Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/22/09 at 10:27pm

During White Boys, when the backup singers go, "Groovy groovy groovy."

I noticed that the other day and laughed for a minute, I love it.

Keys (Marianna)- This is kind of creepy, but I love the way Marianna says 'Underwear are everywhere'.

I love the way she says it too, with a little laugh or something like she's embarrassed.

These are from the Hair New Broadway Cast Recording:

Colored Spade - The way Darius is really low on "I'm" and then he hops up with a breathy "a."

Hashish - There's a VERY high harmony on "LSD" that I love a lot. Pretty sure it's Katie Kiyan.

Going Down - When the Berger's singing "Forgive me if I don't cry/It's like the Fourth of July/Thank God that angels can fly" and the Tribe is singing softly "Down, down, everybody going down, down, everybody going..."

Ain't Got No Grass - There are these chords that bounce leading into the actual song that I cannot get enough of, every time I listen to this song, I instinctively tap my feet on those beats.

I Got Life - Gavin's insane riffs on the second "Amen."

Hare Krishna/Be-In - Katie Kiyan's high harmonies are incredible. Absolutely phenomenal. I also love the "High, high, be high" (I think that's what they're singing, I'm not sure) during the second round of "Take a trips, get high..."

Walking In Space - Sasha's riff on "tripping from potville to mainline" gives me chills, followed by Kacie's beautiful solo where she goes up on the end of "air."

3-5-0-0 - Kacie's ridiculous "ripped open by metal explosion."

Let the Sun Shine In - Sasha's riffs during the a capella part put a lump in my throat immediately.

That was a lot. Sorry.
Updated On: 8/22/09 at 10:27 PM

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#358Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/22/09 at 10:31pm

In The Little Things You Do Together in COMPANY (06) during the opening dialogue the "bum bum bum bums" in the background make me happy.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#359Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/22/09 at 10:56pm

Hair New Broadway Cast Recording

Aquarius: Around 1:39 in the song...when Sasha sings the word..."aquarius" and she pushes her voice out a little. For some reason I love that one second.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#360Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/23/09 at 4:41pm

I love the little moment during "Make Up Your Mind" from NEXT TO NORMAL right after "love I know you know" into "make up your mind that you're strong enough.."1:55-1:57ish
Updated On: 8/23/09 at 04:41 PM

heo1128
#361Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/28/09 at 3:11am

I've got quite a few....

Basically all of L5Y. To name a few specific moments, in "Miracle Would Happen", "I'm gesTICulating with my left hand, and then whap! there's Cathy..." NLB is a fantastic comedic actor. Also in "See I'm Smiling", Cathy's break down at the end breaks my heart.

In Wicked, I love the dance break in Dancing Through Life, for some reason.

I'm partial to the majority of the N2N album, but the first moment that came to mind was the little guitar riff in Catch Me I'm Falling at 3:07.

And lastly, in "Get Out and Stay Out" from 9to5, I love the "I'd be-ee the one" at around 2:35. That moment sticks out to me every time I listen to it, again not sure why lol.

beingalive123
#362Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/29/09 at 7:15pm

in the company revival during you could drive a person crazy when they sing, "knock knock, a zombie's in my arms"

the first two piano chords in I am the One Reprise.

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#363Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/29/09 at 7:21pm

Next to Normal
"Every day's just another and another and another, I will hold it all together"
"I'm alive, I'm right behind you. You say forget, but I remind you."

9 to 5
"If you don't want your little life to never shine, change it"
"Now that I'm unfettered and unbound, Get out and stay out, I've finally had enough!"

oh and it's not on the cast recording but I love when the girls in 9 to 5 have their lines right before the song really starts like
"We're not taking orders from you anymore", "The tables are turning", "Don't you get it?"

There's a lot more. I just have to listen to the songs to realise them.

Rebecca5
#364Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/30/09 at 1:25am

In "Keiner weint um Hexen" from the German recording of Wicked:

Und Tugend weiß
Auch Böse sind verletzlich
Tugend weiß
Der Böse stirbt allein

I love the way Lucy says "allein".

From the original Vienna recording of Elisabeth:

Leben, frei wie ein Zigeuner

Pia just rocks.

I love the entire Fantine's Arrest part of the Les Mis TAC.

And when April says "On a Boeing" in the Company OBC

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#365Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/14/11 at 11:09pm

I'm resurrecting this thread specifically to mention this:

Book of Mormon - Turn it Off: "Find the box that's gay and CRUSH IT!!" I laugh every time.

I also like:

Billy Elliot - Shine - "There's no time for half-assed frolics. Grab the buggers by the bollocks."

Caroline, or Change - Moon Trio - "Lost your old shine. Lost Caroliiiiiiiine."

I know you. I know you. I know you.

broadway guy
#366Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 12:40am

opening chords to "send in the clowns"
"so if you care to find me ,look towards the western skies" wicked

my daughter's close to dying,if there's a god above,he'd let me die instead "les mis"

because reason says i shud have died three years ago "rent"

we could b the one thing in this world that wont hurt "N2N

"watch and you'll see someday ill b part of your world ( reprise,little mermaid)

akk of be our guest from beauty and the beast

overeture to phantom

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#367Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 11:25am

Les Mis- This I Swear by (pause) the stars!
I love the pause and then how he holds the note.

Rent- The piano transition in Goodbye Love from everyone to the fight between Mark and Roger.

musicalfan3 Profile Photo
musicalfan3
#368Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 11:44am

All of "I Can Do Better than That" on the Last Five Years recording, but especially the end. I don't think Sherrie's ever sounded better!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#369Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 11:44am

cracks me up:

Ilona (Barbara Baxley) to Amalia (Barbara Cook): Supposing he's a knucklecracker, Amalia!

breaks my heart:

C.C. (Obba Babatunde) to Effie (Jennifer Holliday): Effie, I've got a song I want you to sing!

These are by no means the most striking bars of the scores of She Loves Me or Dreamgirls, but they are gotcha moments and I cherish them.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#370Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 12:31pm

All of "I Can Do Better than That" on the Last Five Years recording, but especially the end. I don't think Sherrie's ever sounded better!

I agree 100%. Especially in the "We can do better....than that".

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#371Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 10:24pm

The little trumpet wrong note towards the end of "Music and the Mirror", OBCR.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#372Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 10:47pm

Anything Laura Benanti does on the WOTV cast recording

Book of Mormon: Nikki James' line that can't be repeated on here about what Joseph Smith did with his "magical ... frog" in Joseph Smith American Moses - her line delivery cracks me up everytime. I think that line alone got her the Tony.

::bust a move::

zamedy
#373Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/15/11 at 11:14pm

AVENUE Q - During "There Is Life Outside Your Apartment," when Christmas Eve says "ew!" after the line "There's a pigeon squashed on the street." It's so cute. Laugh every time.

GYPSY (OBCR) - The trumpet solo during the overture (that starts at 3:30). Gives me chills! Also.. during "Everything's Coming Up Roses" - the way Merman sings "MAMMA is gonna see to it." You can hear her conviction.
Updated On: 8/15/11 at 11:14 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#374Moments You Love in Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/16/11 at 12:10am

I've been listening to The Book of Mormon a lot recently, and there are always a few moments that I love-

-The 'we march' part at the very end of Two by Two. Such a cool arrangement
-Rory O'Malley's high note at the end of Turn it Off
-Nikki M. James' part in Man Up, especially her first entrance
-Let us smile and laughfrica' in We are Africa. Never fails to make me laugh

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos