News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Unusual pronunciations of words in songs

Unusual pronunciations of words in songs

jasobres
#1Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/25/07 at 10:43pm

Seth Rudetsky always notices these unusual pronunciations of certain words in songs. I've noticed that it was a trend in the words "me" and "you."

Glenn Close and Jennifer Hudson pronounced the word "me" in "With One Look" and "And I Am Telling You..." respectively as "MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY."

David Elder pronounced "you" in "I Only Have Eyes for You" as "yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo." (yo, as in "Yo, waddup dawg.")

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#2re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/25/07 at 10:45pm

It is much easier to belt an "AY" than and "EEE".

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#2re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/25/07 at 10:49pm

I always like "...playing PianA" in "MAYBE" form ANNIE.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#3re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/25/07 at 10:51pm

That always bothers me when David Elder sings "yooooo" on the 42nd Street recording.

Another one of those is Matthew Broderick on H2S revival, in "I Believe In You," his "You" at the end of the line sounds like he's trying too hard to open up the vowel and it's obnoxious.

ThankstoPhantom
#4re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/25/07 at 11:18pm

During "The Music of the Night" many Phantoms opt to pronounce garish as "gAHrish," which sounds out of place, especially in the American productions, where most of the actors are basically directed to have the thickest American accents you have ever heard (same thing with Les Mis).

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#5re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/25/07 at 11:32pm

E vowels tighten up your throat. They're a pain in the ass to sing half the time no matter how strong of a voice you have. Why do you think Sho Bean sings them through her nose?

When Gina Gershon was in Cabaret, she sang the title song like
"Life is a CabUHRAY ole' chum, come to the CabUHRAY" Don't really think it's a big deal, but anyway.

Joel Grey did the same thing in the movie version "Im Cabaret, Au Cabaret, to CabUHRAAAAAY" the little inflection through the nose.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

Raspberry Profile Photo
Raspberry
#6re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 1:00am

I love how Chita Rivera always changes vowel sounds, like, ten times every time she holds the word "Jazz." She did it even more at the 10th Anniversary Show than she does on the OBC recording. Haha. Love it.

"I just want a story and a few good songs that will take me away. I just want to be entertained. I mean, isn't that the point?"

Julian2
#7re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 1:06am

"Totally gone/Gone with the wind[e]" - "Where Is The Life That Late I Led" - "Kiss Me Kate"

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#8re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 1:07am

I can't stand that "yooooo" recording of 42nd St. Another one that bothers me is on the new Company album, Barbara Walsh pronounces "rise" as "roise."

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

BDrischBDemented
#9re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:36am

Patti LuPone and any word with a vowel usually merits an unusual pronunciation.

The "42nd Street" line always annoyed me. The first time I heard it, I seriously thought he was saying another word, maybe "her".

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

COOOOLkid
#10re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:56am

I hate it when people sing "you" as "yah" or "yo"

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

algy Profile Photo
algy
#11re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 4:37am

I get irritated some times by "Defying GraviDEEEEE" but I think that's coz I'm English...

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#12re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:20am

I get irritated some times by "Defying GraviDEEEEE" but I think that's coz I'm English...

LOL! Same here re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs

Americans trying to do English accents (and visa versa) usually leads to some odd sounds... Updated On: 2/26/07 at 08:20 AM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#13re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:30am

Not a Broadway song, but I never understood Natasha Bedingfield's pronunciation of "hyperbole" as 3 syllables (hy-per-bowl rather than hy-per-bo-lee) in her song "These Words." Is this a British pronunciation of the word, or does she just not know how to pronounce it?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#14re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:46am

She doesn't know how to pronounce it. But lyrics are so unimportant in todays pop music that they can get away with it re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs

fairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
#15re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:51am

actually i think holliday's performance of and i am telling you has led to multiple sins in this way. i mean, andy songs you can transcribe as;

eeeeeyyyyaaaaaand iiiiiiiiyyyyyeeee yyyeeeaaaamm tuuuuuhlling yeeeew, yiiiiiiiiiimm not gewinnnah

is just bizarre, and now a lot of people kinda copy it, especially the last vowel.

and i completely agree with the american's doing a british accent thing - i was watching vids on the site that must not be mentioned and found many many odd ones - secret garden, scarlet pimpernel, jekyll and hyde, les mis.

colm wilkinson can come up with some odd ones too - i know he's irish but i don't think his accent makes him come up with some of the bizarre sounds he does, its what makes him so easy to imitate (its far too long i'm shuaah)

algy Profile Photo
algy
#16re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:53am

Americans and English people imitating each other's accents usually amusing especially in the case of children.

Also the approximation of French accents by anyone ever.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#17re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:57am

Colm Wilkinson sounds like Sean Connery to me... or, at the very least, Will Ferrell's parody of him.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#18re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:11am

SM2, Sean Connery was played by Darrell Hammond on SNL.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#19re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:17am

Thanks, SNLMedia. I stand corrected.

SNLMedia? What are the odds?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 2/26/07 at 09:17 AM

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#20re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:20am

re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#21re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:28am

In response to the Barbara Walsh "rise" thing, Anthony Rapp does the same thing on the Rent OCR during La Vie Boheme, "Here she lies" part in the intro, which kind of bothers me as well.

Spacedog78 Profile Photo
Spacedog78
#22re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 10:47am

anything stephanie j block and eden espinosa pronounce! they have very overly dramatic speaking and singing voices.
Updated On: 2/26/07 at 10:47 AM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#23re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 10:54am

On the AIDA cast recording Adam Pascal says "tommow" instead of "tomorrow" in the song "Enchantment Passing Through." I don't know if he sang it like that every time he performed the song, but it always throws me. I saw it performed on tour and the actor playing Radames actually sang "tomorrow" and it was very nice to hear the word pronounced correctly during the song.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#24re: Unusual pronunciations of words in songs
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:50pm

I can't remember who the singer is but in 1976 revival of MY FAIR LADY, the Freddie consistently sang "on the street where you leave." Otherwise quite a nice performance so it was jarring.

Videos