Why people didn´t like Tarzan?

silvio
#1Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 12:59pm

I did not see the show but I think the music is great. Also the show Tarzan Rocks, at Disney Animal Kingdom was awsome and it closed forever.

What happened with Tarzan at Broadway?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:04pm

The Disney show and the theme park show are two totally different things created by totally different people. The only name they have in common is Disney. And yes, while some of the Phil Collins music is good, that does not a good show make.

Julian2
#2re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:12pm

They found it to be of inferior quality.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:15pm

Cause it sucked.

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#4re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:43pm

I'm one of those annoying people who enjoys almost everything - even Disney musicals.

Tarzan was one of the worst things I have ever seen on a broadway stage. The first 10 minutes were interesting, and what followed was ape ballad after ape ballad and some of the worst book writing I've ever sat through. I was so bored I wondered how the children were holding up in the theater. I considered leaving at intermission but stayed on hoping it would improve. It didn't. I don't get bored easily but I remember checking out the Rogers and trying to remember what color it was painted last time I'd been in there... and wondering if Disney had rennovated... DURING the show.

I was entertained (not to the point of repeat visits, mind you) at Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast, so whatever was wrong here seemed really wrong to me, because I wouldn't call either of those high art either.

Tarzan was boring - and that was the last thing I expected. I was ready for bad or campy or silly, but not boring.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:54pm

I enjoyed parts of the show, but overall, I think it's one of the weaker stories Disney has attempted. I guess their thinking was to give the little boys a show like the little girls have Beauty (not TRYING to be gender-stereotyical, but come on...you knw that was in their minds). Sadly, they picked a not great movie to turn into a musical in this case.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#6re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:58pm

I saw the show in February and although both Josh and Jenn were good the show on a whole was a big snooze fest (at least to me). The staging was repetitive and got tired real fast.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MarkRascati
#7re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:04pm

Because everything about it pretty much blew except for the scenery.

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#8re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:06pm

It just looked rushed in my opinion

Actinggbugg474
#9re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:06pm

I didn't hate the show. I thought there were a few shining moments that made it worth while. (Josh singing "Everything That I Am, Merle Dandridge singing anything, Son of Man and Trashin' the Camp.) I think the show had an interesting concept, but they just didn't follow through. It had potential, but it seems like it wasn't completely developed correctly. There defnitely were some snooze moments (10 minutes of Jane walking through a jungle of human flowers), and the book was laughable .. but I really enjoyed the music and I thought all the singers were top-notch.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#10re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:20pm

Five reasons-
The music was tuneless.
The lyrics were banal.
The book was confusing.
It looked ugly.
Josh Strickland was a most unmasculine Tarzan.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#11re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:11pm

- Phil Collins' new songs for the show were horrible

- For some reason they thought in order go give the music an African feel there NEEDED to be pounding drums in just about every song

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Dollypop
#12re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:18pm

The first 10 minutes were magical. Then the story started.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#13re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:23pm

Exactly what Dollypop said.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#14re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:11pm

"Also the show Tarzan Rocks, at Disney Animal Kingdom was awsome and it closed forever."

Closed forever?

Bruce Memblagh!
#15re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:15pm

a camp Tarzan doesnt really do it for me.

And not to mention the dreadful music, the banal lyrics and the mess of the book

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#16re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:26pm

I liked it.
Was it the best thing to grace Broadway, hardly.
Was it entertaining, sure.

I enjoyed the story Jane and Tarzan. I loved those characters. I ignored all the flaws :[dead space and some boring moments, and many more.] And enjoyed Jenn and Josh's performances.

The music was nice. I rather enjoyed "Waiting for This Moment.." and "For The First Time.." was beautiful, I loved "Strangers Like Me.." and "Son of Man..". It had it's nice moments, atleast to me.

All of this IMO.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Yankeefan007
#17re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:31pm

Why didn't people like Tarzan?

'Cause it sucked.

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#18re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:47pm

I liked it a lot. I loved the music, and thought it was a touching story about man and his humanity. It was funny, too. Josh Strickland was amazing.

sesot Profile Photo
sesot
#19re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 10:11pm

I enjoyed the show. I do think they rushed to get it on stage so everything was not fully developed. It was my understanding they were going to add some things to improve the staging to make it more like he show in Holland which is getting good reviews. It is a shame we will never get to see those changes here.
Josh and Merle had amazing voices. I hope Josh will be back on Broadway soon.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#20re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 10:17pm

Do you think they will re-work it and send it on the road? With the Disney name it would sell.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

sesot Profile Photo
sesot
#21re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 10:52pm

I don't think they will send it on road anytime soon. I think Disney has all their money locked into The Little mermaid right now. I heard one of the reasons Tarzan had to close was The Little mermaid was extremely over budget and they are still trying to break even on Mary Poppins.

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#22re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 10:55pm

You know you're in for a bad show when the love duet is titled, "For the First Time..." BORING!

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

henryt
#23re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 11:18pm

I think the biggest problem is that it wasn't a memorable or well known enough movie. Every one knows Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, and The Little Mermaid. And with Aida, I feel like many people didn't realize it was a Disney show. Tarzan, on the other hand, is not a classic, nor is it very memorable. It's not one of the Disney movies that parents bring their children up on. I was so surprised when I heard that they were doing it because whenever I would think of the next Disney show, it never even popped into my head. Because it is not a classic, people were less forgiving. Between that and the obvious flaws, it was bound to fail.

Dover
#24re: Why people didn´t like Tarzan?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 11:22pm

The book and score were awful. I thought the cast was doing a great job but couldn't do much with the material. The set was cool for the first five minutes with the sinking ship and all that, and then you stare at that annoying green box for the next two and a half hours.

Videos