pixeltracker

Cause I feel like it. HUNCHBACK dream cast

Cause I feel like it. HUNCHBACK dream cast

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#1Cause I feel like it. HUNCHBACK dream cast
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:07am

What's yours? This should really come to Broadway.

Quasimodo: Drew Sarich
Esmeralda: Dunno since I wanna do it...
Frollo: Brian Stokes Mitchell
Phebeous: Marcus Chait
Clopin: Christian Borle

Updated On: 8/24/07 at 02:07 AM

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#2re: Cause I feel like it. HUNCHBACK dream cast
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:15am

Quasimodo: Drew Sarich
Esmeralda: Sara Ramirez or Lea Salonga
Frollo: Jonathan Pryce
Updated On: 8/24/07 at 02:15 AM

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#2re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:31am

Assuming you are refering to Menken's Hunchback, I completely agree and I'm not a big Disney animation to stage musical production fan. There was a plan to bring it to the US (after Germany) and I wonder why it stalled. The score, the songs, and the orchestration in the animation are amazing. "Out There" gives me the goose bumps. With the right book, good actors (sans the gargoyles...too cartoony, don't you think?) and the right stage and lighting design, this could possibly do quite well. I'd see it on preview night. Tom Hulce was excellent in that recording but Demi Moore in the speaking voice? What were they thinking?

Now, for the stage actors (no stunt casting, if Buddha permits):
Quasimodo - I'd vote for Norbert Leo Butz
Frollo - Brian Stokes Mitchell can be an excellent Frollo. But Tony Jay can reprise the role.
Captain Phoebus - Matt Bogart or Eric Kunze
Esmeralda - Christine Andreas (too old?) or Rachel York but I think Lea Salonga can be perfect.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

TheFriarsDruggist Profile Photo
TheFriarsDruggist
#3re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:14am

"Frollo - Brian Stokes Mitchell can be an excellent Frollo. But Tony Jay can reprise the role."

Unfortunately Tony Jay passed away a while back.

His voice was perfect for that character too. I have a hard time really thinking of anyone else tackling that part.

If they ever bring the Disney Hunchback to the stage...Maybe Terrence Mann could play Frollo.

"I am the Phantom of the Opera! I'm the gayest supervillian ever! OoooOOOooooOOOoooh...Beware of my scented candles...OoooOOOooooh...Scented!"

musicaltheater1
#4re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:36am

Thanks TheFriarsDruggist. I didn't know that Tony has passed away. That's sad.

I agree on Terrence...excellent baritone.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 8/24/07 at 03:36 AM

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#5re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 4:01am

I was just thinking the same thing! Terrance Mann would be absolute perfection in that role. (It's incredibly similar to Javert, but, hey, who cares?)
I can't cast someone famous as Quasimodo (though I will say NLB is an interesting and rather brilliant choice), because I must see my friend play this role someday (If you'd heard his voice, you'd understand why...)
Esmeralda- Lea Salonga maybe...I'm still thinking...is Stephanie J. Block too old? Esmeralda needs to be more earthy and street-wise than most Disney "princess" types..Eden?
Phoebus- Max Crumm (Haha! Gotcha!)...how about Matthew Morrison?
JASON DANIELY FOR CLOPIN!!!!!

!!!!!!!!...more exclamation points, just because I feel like it.

galindagirl2
#6re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 4:02am

Sorry. Double post.
Updated On: 8/24/07 at 04:02 AM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#7re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 8:11am

Even it was something like 10 years ago, i think Drew should be Quasi again, although Norbert is a great idea.

as for Esmeralda: Sara Ramires, no offence but diesnt she get picked up alot in this show? anyways, how about a black Esmeralda, maybe Disney can intice Heather Headley to come back to broadway.

As for Frolo (my fav.. role) the only person i can see doing it is Philip Quast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#8re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 9:27am

I would pick George Hearn for Frollo.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

ThankstoPhantom
#9re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 9:48am

Drew is only in his early 30s. He was very young when he played Quasimodo. It's not like he's old now...he is still young, and I'd want him to play it.

Frollo should have a distinct voice that says terror all over it (doesn't have to be just like Jay's voice, but it should be distinct like his). I didn't like the voice of Frollo in the Berlin staging, it wasn't distinct enough.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Josh Freilich
#10re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 10:41am

Frollo should be Marc Jacoby, and maybe Drew Sarich should play Clopin this time and have Deven May play Quasimodo.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#11re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 1:04pm

I think whoever plays Esmeralda, they need to give her a wig with enough hair. She's sung beautifully on the German CD, but the hair is a letdown.

Quasimodo: Randal Keith
Esmeralda: Sherie Rene Scott, Merle Dandridge, Idina Menzel
Frollo: Brian Stokes Mitchell
Phoebus: Matt Bogart
Clopin: Stephen Lynch
Broadway Blog: 50 Amazing Broadway Performers . . . AND Advice for Recording a Solo Album

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#12re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 1:50pm

Quasimodo-Drew Sarich
Esmerelda-Sara Ramirez or, dare I say it, Eyedeena Menzel
Frollo-Terrance Mann
Phoebus-?
Clopin-Someone flexible, like Tyler Maynard...

Randal Keith is way too old

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#13re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 1:59pm

What about Jenny Powers for Esmerelda?

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

musicaltheater1
#14re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 4:46pm

Do you folks think a modified book without the gargoyles would work?

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#15re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 6:09pm

Although the guy singing Frollo on the German CD may lack distincive tones he certainly has a powerful voice. Hell Fire is taken up to a G and raises the hairs on my neck.

Terrence Mann is too predictable and lacks the powerful vocals I would prefer.

*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
#16re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 6:27pm

I'm thinking a newbie for Esmerelda to be honest. In the book I thought she was supposed to be younger than she is in the cartoon. Maybe I'm wrong but alot of the suggestions seem too old. I love the Philip Quast idea, that be amazing.

What about Alan Cumming's as Clopin?

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)

henrybutler
#17re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/24/07 at 6:55pm

DEFINITELY NOT brian stokes mitchell for frollo, its too hard to despise him. frollo has to be sinister and repulsive almost

Jonathan pryce for frollo
christian borle for clopin
no one who's been mentioned for esmerelda yet do i agree with
i vote for a newcomer!

people on broadwayworld.com can be rude and scary

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#18re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/25/07 at 12:01am

I think Sara Ramirez is a wonderful idea for Esmerelda. . I got all giddy when I first read it.

~Jacob.

flicker_ Profile Photo
flicker_
#19re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/25/07 at 1:50am

I think Terrance Mann is a little tired of doing the disturbed and dark authority-figure...I mean, Javert, Chauvelin...

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.

galindagirl2
#20re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/25/07 at 1:54am

Well, I was going to suggest Idina, since she seems to have that kind of earthy quality that Esmeralda needs, but I was afraid I'd be shot down very quickly and painfully by the anti-Wickeders

P.S. Flicker...I'm in love with your avatar Updated On: 8/25/07 at 01:54 AM

Chason Profile Photo
Chason
#21re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/25/07 at 2:37am

Regardless of who plays who, THe Hunchback of Notre Damn is one of Disney's BEST animated musical - quite powerful - and deserves to find it's way to Broadway! LOVE the music!

George: Rubbing alcohol for you, Martha? Martha: Never mix, never worry!

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#22re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/25/07 at 10:22am

I'd hate to correct you Chason, but it's Notre Dame. I don't think Disney would have even released the film if it was Notre Damn.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Anti-Romanticist Profile Photo
Anti-Romanticist
#23re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/26/07 at 7:23pm

"I would pick George Hearn for Frollo."

I completely agree. George Hearn would sing a really awesome "Hellfire" IMHO. (May Tony Jay rest in the peace.) To add, I think Doug Sills would make an awesome Phoebus--the man has a set of pipes on him for sure!

Bow before the cuteness of my cousin!!! ;]

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#24re: HUNCHBACK
Posted: 8/27/07 at 1:36am

Actually you know who would be a great Esmeralda?

Ann Mandrella. re: HUNCHBACK

Another Broadway couple playing opposite each other. She's got an awesome voice.