Do swings sing in the wings?

zamedy
#1Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 1:13am

Just wondering... When swings or understudies are not actually in the show on any given night, do they at least get to sing in the wings during big company numbers, perhaps to help with singing in songs that use a lot of dance energy? I can barely get through singing "You Can't Stop The Beat" SITTING DOWN without running out of breath. I can't imagine singing and dancing to it eight times a week!

If not, what DO they do on off nights?
Updated On: 9/5/08 at 01:13 AM

birdboy782
#2re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 2:02am

"You Can't Stop the Beat" is a recorded vocal track--or as they'll say, "sweetened" to help the dancers.

Just because swings are not performing that night does not mean that they are "off"--they spend much of the time watching the show and running their tracks. It is a heavy responsibility to maintain several people's roles and be able to perform them at the drop of the hat--especially for some shows!! Often the most talented performers in an ensemble are depended upon to swing. Not an easy task.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#2re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 2:26am

That sounds like a vocal warmup: "Do swings sing in the wings? The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plane"

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

thevolleyballer
#3re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 2:53am

When I saw the Mamma Mia! tour years and years ago in LA, I went backstage and noticed singing booths, and was told that those who aren't on during that show go back there to sing with the ensemble from offstage. I can't speak for how accurate this is for all shows, or even for that show (if I wasn't being given a dumbed-down version of how things work).

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 3:14am

Maybe in other shows, but Hairspray uses recorded tracks.

Pianist3912
#5re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 7:24am

Do you know which tracks are pre-recorded? And to what extent? (They can't have *all* of YCSTB pre-recorded I would think.)

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#6re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 11:03am

I don't know the answer but "Do Swings Sing in the Wings" would be a great title for a primer on the theatre!

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#7re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 12:42pm

When I was sitting on stage at Xanadu in July I was sitting on the end by the orchestra in the second row next to the usher. I happened to glance over my shoulder during "All Over the World" and saw Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman standing offstage singing. So not only do swings and ensemble members do it at some shows but at others even the principals do it.

ETA...I think BWW.com should write a musical called "Swinging in the Wings" or something.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 9/5/08 at 12:42 PM

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#8re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 12:55pm

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that swings/understudies/ensemble/whomever sing along with whoever is playing Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys. This is to creative that "layered" sound that the Four Seasons songs had. It's a line in the show too - something about doubling up Frankie's voice on the recordings.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#9re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 1:05pm

Dunno about swings, but when I was in 'Pirates of Penzance' in spring, there was a LOT of offstage singing going on. I, as a soprano, liked to dig down into my boots and sing second tenor with 'Sighing Softly to the River', whereas our Frederick was more than capable and willing to frighten us all by joining in with various soprano parts. (And I may have snuck some inappropriate onstage singing during rehearsals too; in my defence, the basses around me were quite grateful to have help remembering their parts. XD)

heathurr2 Profile Photo
heathurr2
#10re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 9/5/08 at 1:19pm

"That sounds like a vocal warmup: "Do swings sing in the wings? The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plane" "

Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously!

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

"I think it's appropriate: iSondheim - a Sondheim for the new generation! (wailing guitar riff) Get your kids hooked early on Sondheim, so they'll grow up to be just as emotionally stilted and self-conscious as we are! - BustopherPhantom

zamedy
#11re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:25pm

So when we're hearing "You Can't Stop the Beat," we're actually hearing a recorded track? All the Council Kids are just half singing? How the heck do that time that all out? That would be pretty disastrous if it suddenly cut out or something. Yikes.

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#12re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:28pm

Mamma Mia is all sung live.

http://www.broadway.com/Secrets-of-Mamma-Mia-Hosted-by-Carolee-Carmello-Part-Three-Backstage-Secrets/broadway_video/555125

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#13re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 1:37pm

I don't know about singing, but I do know that sometimes swings swing with other swings in the wings.

BobRandomGuyMan Profile Photo
BobRandomGuyMan
#14re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:13pm

I don't know about at Hairspray, but once at Dance of the Vampires the click track with ensemble vocal and the power to the synth went out during the finale. It was a disaster and all you could hear was the drummer beating on the drumpads, a tiny trumpet, and everyone singing half heartedly but dancing like crazy.

Bwayfan39
#15re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:28pm

If I were there I would feel terrible for everyone involved...but the sad truth is, that I would probably go on my blackberry and post it as I left the theater.

ThankstoPhantom
#16re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:29pm

Some of you are not answering the question...

There is a difference between a swing singing off stage when they are not on AT ALL, and Mary Testa, who WAS on, singing off stage. Obviously her participation was a creative decision...and if she was out, her understudy would do the same because it's a requirement of her track, not because she's off stage.

And the answer has already been given...most times swings watch or rehearse.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

outdamnwench
#17re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:42pm

Ensemble members usually sing when offstage, usually in booths, however swings cannot according to Equity.

Also, zamedy, understudies are just chorus members who cover a track, so they're never not in the show unless they're taking a day off. You're thinking about standby's.
Updated On: 12/23/08 at 03:42 PM

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#18re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 3:57pm

I thought Mama Mia had prerecorded vocals. Seth Rudetsky is always hinting about it. He mentioned it (not by the show's name) in his book, and then specifically mentioned it in one of his chatterbox shows. I think he said something along the lines of "Mama Mia is a lip syncing roach."

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#19re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 4:07pm

The video I posted actually has Carolee describing the booths & why there are so many of them.

http://www.broadway.com/Secrets-of-Mamma-Mia-Hosted-by-Carolee-Carmello-Part-Three-Backstage-Secrets/broadway_video/555125

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 4:36pm

when I saw Mamma Mia, it was clearly noticable that the ensemble were lip-syncing.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
#21re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 4:37pm

"I feel like I remember reading somewhere that swings/understudies/ensemble/whomever sing along with whoever is playing Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys. This is to creative that "layered" sound that the Four Seasons songs had. It's a line in the show too - something about doubling up Frankie's voice on the recordings"

^ I feel like I've heard this somewhere too, and a few times when I've seen the show in Chicago the understudy has come out of the stage door without having been in the show that night. My friend and I think he sings along from backstage with some of the parts, but as far as official reliable information about who actually sings what and when or if vocals are doubled I don't actually know lol it's just a guess.

"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show

Jon
#22re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 4:44pm

Someone onstage in Mamma Mia might have been lip synching, but that does not mean there are recorded back up singers. It means there are OFF-STAGE back up singers.

CATS had off-stage singers (the "Cats Chorus") to beef up the sound of the onstage performers when they were winded from all the dancing.

exedore
#23re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 4:49pm

Mamma Mia has both - back-up singers in booth AND extensive use of click track.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#24re: Do swings sing in the wings?
Posted: 12/14/08 at 7:14pm

this is really distressing news to us actor/singer/movers. that singing is not really that important.

Videos