News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Cabaret Remake

esparza 333
#1Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/27/08 at 3:21pm

I just got an email from one of the producers of a show I did and he was talking about what some of the producers were working on now and he said one producer is working on developing a remake of Cabaret wit Rob Marshall. This is interesting since on the Wicked movie thread people were talking about how Marshall is perfect for the dark musical filled with sexuality and vulgar. This could be brilliant and I am happy that Marshall is doing a lot of musical projects. Your Thoughts?

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/27/08 at 3:31pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=933961#2987869

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/27/08 at 4:08pm

I really enjoyed Marshall's transformation of Chicago from stage to screen. I think he could pull off Cabaret as well. Maybe he isn't right for something like Wicked, but I think he is an appropriate choice for some of these classics.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

yeah
#3re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:18pm

I remember hearing something like this soon after "Chicago"'s success at the Oscars. I also recall Renee Zellweger's name being tossed around for Sally.

I'd love to see a remake; I'm not a huge fan of the original film, but I adored the revival with Alan Cumming!

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#4re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 1:03am

i would love to see scarlett johansson or zooey deschanel as sally.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

A Director
#5re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 3:49am

The world does not need another movie version of Cabaret. What would be the point. Rob Marshall is not Bob Fosse.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#6re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 8:55am

No one is Bob Fosse. Only Bob Fosse is Bob Fosse. And I think Rob could really do something fantastic with it. He's a brilliant choreographer (evidenced by "Chicago" and the revival of "Cabaret") and a brilliant director whose movies are pitch perfect as far as translating the material to screen and visually stunning. Maybe it doesn't serve very much of a purpose, but I know if it was made, I would certainly be all about it.

yeah
#7re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 9:12am

As would I! I'm surprised "Memoirs of a Geisha" wasn't more well received; I thought it was beautiful.

Yes, there doesn't "need" to be a remake, but, if done properly, it would be lovely!!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 10:56am

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA was trying too hard to be an Oscar-winning film and Marshall didn't know how to develop the story at all. He works much better with concept material than story-driven pieces, that's why I believe he is perfect for NINE.
Either way, Renee Zellweger was rumored for a Rob Marshall-helmed adaptation at one point. I consider CABARET to be one of the top 3 best movie musicals ever made, but the only reason I'd get into a re-make is because it might be interesting to see a film made about the actual musical. Fosse made his own movie, using a few songs from the musical.
I think Toni Collette (who was supposed to replace Natasha Richardson in the revival) or Kate Winslet are perfect for Sally Bowles.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#9re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 11:10am

The only reason I would want a new CABARET is to have one that is slightly more faithful to the actual stage show. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Minnelli/Fosse movie, but the script is so drastically re-written it is only recognizable as CABARET by a few of the songs. If Marshall does on on-screen adaptation of the Roundabout Revival? HEAVEN!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#10re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 2:10pm

I love the movie version, but, when you get right down to it, it's barely Cabaret. I think a remake would be a very good idea. I'd love to see Gina Gershon as Sally, but that's probably a very long shot. I thought she was brilliant in the Roundabout production.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

PattiLover Profile Photo
PattiLover
#11re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 3:56pm

Ok, please don't laugh...but I think this would be a fantastic cast.

Emcee: Alan Cumming (It must be him and nobody else)

Cliff: Adrien Brody (My favorite actor EVAH) or Patrick Wilson (because he's the stereotypical hot, bland, asexual American)

Fraulein Schneider: Stockard Channing

Herr Schultz: Bruno Ganz (The great German stage and screen actor-played Adolf Hitler in Downfall)

Fraulein Kost: Nena (Of 99 Luftballoons flame-played a brilliant Mrs. Peachum in the 3Penny Opera)

Ernst Ludwig: Thomas Kretschmann (My favorite German actor and he's HOT)

And as Sally Bowles...please DO NOT SCOFF-Amy Winehouse.

Think of how bizarre and trashy this movie could be. I almost think Rob Marshall would be too flashy for this movie. I picture the Cabaret scenes in full color and the book scenes in B&W. I would like to see this film directed in the style of Pabst, Murnau, Lang and the other great 1920's German film directors.

nexttoelectric Profile Photo
nexttoelectric
#12re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 3:58pm

As would I! I'm surprised "Memoirs of a Geisha" wasn't more well received; I thought it was beautiful.

It was beautiful. VERY beautiful. And dreadfully ineffective and woefully unaffecting.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#13re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 4:16pm

Make Cabaret the musical, don't remake Cabaret the movie.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

yeah
#14re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 7:09pm

I go for Kate Winslet in anything. She can play the Emcee for all I care! re: Cabaret Remake

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 7:20pm

Haha, Yeah. She really is perfection. I would say that if her performances in ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND and ROMANCE & CIGARETTES are any indication, the woman would make a brilliant Sally Bowles.
Jane Krakowski would also make for a wonderful Sally, but while she'd be a perfect headliner for a stage revival, she wouldn't be considered for the film. The film needs an actual movie star to succeed, so Gina Gershon is out of the running. Amy Winehouse... not even touching that one with a ten foot pole.
Really like the idea of Patrick Wilson as Cliff, I think Adrien Brody might make a better MC.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

PiraguaGuy2
#16re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/28/08 at 10:14pm

Amy Winehouse as Sally?

re: Cabaret Remake
re: Cabaret Remake
And that's on a GOOD day.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

#17re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/29/08 at 5:54am

I'm with Ray here. Geisha was indeed a beautiful film but it felt too... removed? Something was definetly missing for me (it also emphasized for me elements of the book I didn't like). But I think something like Nine is ideal for Marshall.

MadameRoseRules Profile Photo
MadameRoseRules
#18re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/29/08 at 4:11pm

I'd love to see a "Cabaret" remake with some of the songs from the original 1966 Broadway production reinstated. Rob Marshall could pull that off brilliantly.

"I'm going to make you A STAR!"

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#19re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/29/08 at 6:52pm

what if the whole movie was in black and white??? oooooooo!!!!

The White Half-Mask Profile Photo
The White Half-Mask
#20re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/29/08 at 10:24pm

I'd love a remake of the Cabaret movie done in the style of the 1998 Broadway revival. Alan Cumming MUST play the Emcee. And I can see either Patrick Wilson or Adrien Brody as Clifford Bradshaw. I'm not sure about Sally Bowles. A lot of other posters have mentioned some pretty interesting candidates. While Amy Winehouse fits in a way, I'd prefer to see another actress.

PattiLover Profile Photo
PattiLover
#21re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/29/08 at 10:29pm

Yes, but Amy Winehouse is closer to Isherwood's description of Sally Bowles than Liza. There's nothing fabulous about Sally, really.

Read Barbara Ulrich's "Hot Girls of Weimar Berlin" or Mel Gordon's "Voluptuous Panic: The Erotic World of Weimar Berlin". Amy Winehouse is a puritan compared to the women of that time...Weimar Berlin was a time of all sex and all drugs because that's all there was.

The seedy underworld of the Berlin party circuit in the late 20's was like an early John Waters film. Mendes' version, believe it or not, is pretty tame.
Updated On: 11/29/08 at 10:29 PM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#22re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/30/08 at 1:38pm

I think they should put the show back at Studio 54 and film the show at Studio 54 with the original am Mendes direction and Rob Marshall direct the non-Kit Kat Klub (KKK-intentional?) scenes elsewhere.

I love the idea of Amy Winehouse as Sally, but will she be able to speak the lines, let alone not be passed out? I was almost thinking about Beyonce, but she's a little too commercial. How about Anne Hathaway or Reese Witherspoon and not be too traditional?

Either way, I would love to see Neil Patrick Harris' take on the Emcee. Did'nt he play the part on Broadway?

And someone said how about B&W? I think what could be cool is if only the Kit Kat Klub stage was color, and even the audience was B&W.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

esparza 333
#23re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/30/08 at 1:58pm

Jane Krakowski would be brilliant in this. But she is so under rated.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#24re: Cabaret Remake
Posted: 11/30/08 at 2:05pm

I would LOVE to see Neil Patrick Harris as the Emcee, Patrick Wilson as Cliff, and Kate Winslet as Sally..I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Videos