pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:03pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 3/8/2009 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm

PiraguaGuy2
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:04pm

Oh hey West Side Story and Exit the King.

Hair has a relatively high capacity, but can it keep running with a $66 average ticket?

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:05pm

Hm.

Bye, AUGUST. Guess we'll never see Phylicia after all. And PG2, it's only in previews. Of course average tickets are low.

feline0favenueQ Profile Photo
feline0favenueQ
#3re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:10pm

OUCH August. And how much longer can 39 Steps hold on?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#4re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:21pm

I'm so happy for WEST SIDE STORY!!!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:23pm

>And how much longer can 39 Steps hold on?<

LONG. It's yet to have an unprofitable week at the Helen Hayes.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#6re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:28pm

yay Hair!

dchesnutny Profile Photo
dchesnutny
#7re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:40pm

keep in mind that exit the king played only 2 performances last week, so it's numbers are good (playing at 88.x%, which is great, in my view).

this is the first time i've looked at the grosses in a while - i'm surprised that 'wicked' and 'jersey boys' are no longer completely selling out.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:46pm

Are Guys & Dolls grosses backwards?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#9re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:48pm

I think they've been papering in previous weeks.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

nlm
#10re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:48pm

Are Guys & Dolls grosses backwards?

Nope the week before had opening night so it was in 450k rang. At least their average ticket price went up. Still need at least another 100k boost to break even though, the attendance drop didn't help either.

Great figures for WSS and Hair though.
Updated On: 3/9/09 at 04:48 PM

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#11re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:53pm

WOAH, has 'The Lion King' ever been that low??

Everything in life...is only for now.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 4:59pm

Nope the week before had opening night so it was in 450k rang. At least their average ticket price went up.

Ah, maybe that's why. It's rare to see the attendance go down and the grosses go up.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 5:06pm

dchestuntny, I don't think they have been completely sold out for a short while now. The economy.

Just give the world Love.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#14re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 5:18pm

Ah, maybe that's why. It's rare to see the attendance go down and the grosses go up.

I think it is the switch between preview ticket prices and regular ticket prices. The average ticket price went up because of this, so even with a dip in attendance they had a bigger money week.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#15re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 6:52pm

Didn't HAIR only have 5 shows? Maybe that's why it didn't make too much money.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#16re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 9:53pm

Avenueqresident i was wondering the same thing. it was a good week for these big shows especially at this time of the year billy elliot, south pacific, jersey boys, in the heights, and wicked. billy elliot is still the best musical of the year, it will last awhile.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#17re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 9:59pm

not looking good for Shrek

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#18re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/9/09 at 10:56pm

What a great starting week for HAIR.

And AUGUST made a huge mistake in casting Rashad if only for the reason that there has to be a bigger celebrity who would both sell tickets AND be great in the lead role (or even in one of the supporting roles). It can't last much longer but it had a fantastic run.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#19re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/10/09 at 12:21am

great numbers for WSS & Hair. I think August's casting of Rashad is it's last effort to keep the show open, we'll see how well she helps this show. Sadly, I only see Guys & Dolls lasting throught the summer. From what I've heard, it really is a bad production, for such an easy show to stage.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/10/09 at 12:31am

When is Rashad slated to come in? I don't think the show will make it that far. Plus, is she really gonna sell tickets?
And so happy about WEST SIDE STORY.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

hpeabody930
#21re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/10/09 at 12:37am

HOw much does 39 steps cost to run each week?

jennafan
#22re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/10/09 at 3:10am

Excuse me, could someone explain to me the "Top Ticket" price thing? I don't get it for shows that sell out 50-65% why anyone would pay $250 or $300 for a ticket.

That doesn't sound right at all.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#23re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/10/09 at 6:43am

So, the whole riggamaro about Rashad's casting and suitability for the role is all going to be for naught, because I doubt August will last until May, when she's slated to come in.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#24re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/8
Posted: 3/10/09 at 7:46am

jennafan ~ Because not everyone is knowledgeable about discounts and such. And some have bought into the idiocy of "premium seats". Also some people plan their trips well in advance of discount codes coming out but want to make sure they have shows lined up.

Oh...and there are also some people who will support theatre in general or a show they love by paying full price and NOT using discount codes, etc.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 3/10/09 at 07:46 AM