Shrek? Could it?

jagfkb
#1Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:10pm

With all of the Next to Normal/ Billy Elliot fueds going on, could Shrek have a chance at the Gold?

Here's my point, most voters take a show's touring capabilites into considerration when voting. Already, some producers are smart and have announced tours, like West Side Story, Hair, and recently Shrek. All other nominees have yet to even announce such tours, putting Shrek at a slight advantage. While Next to Normal is not tourist friendly, Billy Elliot isn't that far behind. Aside from the set (which has continued to breakdown well into it's run), consider the heavy English accents, the adult content, AND the excessive cursing. While I understand Spring Awakening had some of those factors as well, they had announced a tour by the time the Tonys had come around. Billy Elliot opened last November, and nothing has been announced. So, what do you think, could Shrek have a chance? Also, though it's not any sort of official sign, Shrek has seemed to become the "that site" musical of the year, with practically the entire show, as well as many comments on how much people like it, on that site. A sign of what's to come?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:12pm

no chance at all. Shrek is this year's Cry Baby. It should be lucky it got nominated.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#2re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:12pm

No.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#3re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:14pm

No chance.

JazzSquare55
#4re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:16pm

Not at all.

Trekkie2
#5re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:36pm

No. And your point has no merit. Tourism is a factor, not the only reason any show ever wins ever.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

jagfkb
#6re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:45pm

Actually, wouldn't 9 to 5 be this year's Young Frankenstein and Rock of Ages this year's Cry Baby?

Mactor327
#7re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:47pm

sorry to disagree with all y'all but SHREK TOTALLY HAS A CHANCE
I predict shrek will win...
BEST LEADING ACTOR: Brian D'Arcy James (i'd say 50/50)
BEST FEAUTURED ACTOR Christopher Sieber (tony buzz for him has been going on since the Seatle tryout)
BEST COSTUMES (Farquad costume is genius, and the costumes in shrek are FAB)
BEST SCENIC DESIGN(Really oustanding sets)

ZONEACE
#8re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 6:52pm

so, just how retarded are you mactor?

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

RockabyeHamlet
#9re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:05pm

It will not win. If, by some chance in hell it does, my entire faith in humanity will be lost.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#10re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:06pm

I personally think Shrek could get a few things here or there.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 5/6/09 at 07:06 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#11re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:07pm

Best musical? Not a chance.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:09pm

I'm guessing the OP meant for Best Musical -- then NOT ON YOUR LIFE.

Could it get a few statues? Possibly.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jagfkb
#13re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:14pm

In my opinion, it has the Costumes Tony in the bag, just as Mary Poppins had the Sets Tony practically engraved. Christopher Siber has the greatest chance of getting a statue for his performance out of everyone else, and Orchestrations could end up being Shrek, though Next to normal could take that one easily.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#14re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:16pm

While Shrek is my favorite out of the Best Musical nominees, I really don't see it having a chance of winning the big prize. It'll MAYBE get Actor, probably get Featured Actor, and I think it's quite a bit behind N2N in the score category (since the committee seems to hate 9 to 5 and BE's score is its weakest link). That's probably it, besides design stuff.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:18pm

Just because the 24 people on the Nominating Committee hated 9 TO 5 doesn't mean the 750 Tony voters are going to hate it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#16re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 7:19pm

Good point, Foster. I haven't actually hear 9 to 5's score so I can't judge it based on my opinions.

And I forgot about Orchestrations. Is there some sort of rule about those? I think Shrek has the biggest orchestra, if that has any weight in that category.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#17re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:14pm

Here's my point, most voters take a show's touring capabilites into considerration when voting.

Where are you gettinmg that?

One block of Tony voters represent the road presenters, but they do not have enough pull to overrule the New York based voters.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:18pm

However, if the rest of the voters are largely split, then the road representatives could make a big difference. A minority all voting in one way is pretty powerful.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Ole Chum
#19re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:38pm

i dont understand all the shrek hate on here. it was fine. i didnt see rock of ages, but from what i hear, shrek is probably a much better show- and is any one of those four were going to be replaced with 9 to 5, it was gonna be rock of ages.

it will NOT win best musical, of course, but will probably pick up best featured actor (very much deservedly so) and might get a few of the technical ones as well...

ZONEACE
#20re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/5/09 at 9:39pm

Shrek is terrible, thats why there's all the hate.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 1:09am

"Shrek is this year's Cry Baby."

I wouldn't say it's this year's Cry Baby, but with the hype around Billy Elliot, I do not see it taking the big prize. But who knows what will happen.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#22re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 4:23am

Seems a kneejerk response to dogpile all over Shrek around here. I wasn't surprised when it fared well at the nominations yesterday. While I wished that the creators had taken even more of a red pencil to it in their revisions between Seattle and New York, I do think there are some definite virtues to that show. I liked Tim Hatley's designs, Danny Troob's orchestrations, and I found David Lindsay Abaire's lyrics eccentric and funny. There are some very good performances. All of that puts it above the recent efforts of another corporate musical producing house on Broadway. I also do like the message the show delivers to kids that if you are different, an outcast, a freak, there are other people like you who will love you just the same, and ultimately, that trumped the couple of sections where I felt the show went off the rails.

No, I don't think it's winning Best Musical, but it could win a couple of the other awards mentioned in this thread.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#23re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 6:45am

<< no chance at all. Shrek is this year's Cry Baby. It should be lucky it got nominated. >>

Totally agree. My first thought was that "9 To 5" must be REALLY bad !!!!

maddieisepic
#24re: Shrek? Could it?
Posted: 5/6/09 at 10:14am

Nope.com

I'm putting my money on Billy Elliot, but I'm hoping for Next To Normal.

Well, buy me a boa and drive me to Reno, 'cause I'm open for business.