News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Tony loser with most legitimate gripe

Tony loser with most legitimate gripe

FrontRow
#1Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 12:20am

Would be Brian D'Arcy James. He gives a great performance WITH an accent IN heavy makeup AND he's onstage at least 75% of the time...and he's paid his dues, if you're looking for a reason outside of this particular show. He loses to people who perform 2 or 3 times a week!!! This is a perfect example of the Tony being won by the role rather than the performance. See also: Anita, 'West Side Story'.

Best thing about tonight's Tonys: 'Reasons to Be Pretty' won nothing!

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#2re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 12:22am

I would bet that D'Arcy James would have been able to give an acceptance speech too.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#2re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe

I would have rather seen J. Robert Spencer win.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe

Oh. get over it.

won by the role rather than the performance. See also: Anita, 'West Side Story'.

Then why did Debbie Allen lose?

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#4re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe

9to5! nothing!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 12:24am

I think "reasons..." deserved Best Play.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#6re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe

I saw "Shrek" and have never despised a show with such intense passion, but even I would have been happy to see Brian take the award home. His dedication to the role is consummately professional, and he did a wonderful job with the material given.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#7re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe

won by the role rather than the performance. See also: Anita, 'West Side Story'.

and why wasn't Chita Rivera even nominated?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#8re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 12:25am

I didn't see Shrek, but how could you really work up such hatred for a show that's self-acknowledged fluff?

I save my real hatred for fluff with pretensions.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#9re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 12:28am

I wonder would things be differnet if BDJ stayed with Next to Normal.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 12:31am

Sometimes you dont get the award for your career...that tends to happen in the Oscars not the Tonys. BDJ will get a Tony the next time he doesnt shill himself for a buck. I dont think a Tony will ever go to someone covered in latex in a theme park show.He get his Tony just not tonight.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

springawoken819
#11re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 12:41am

I haven't seen Shrek, so idk about Brian D'Arcy James, but i definitely think it went to the Billy's just because it's historic or whatever. I just saw Next to Normal wednesday night and i was shocked (ok, not really that suprised, i saw the Billy's win coming) that J Robert Spencer didn't win. His I am the One Reprise had me in tears, and i think that he's a bit underrated because Alice Ripley is so... loud about her awesomeness (best way to describe it lol), but he really was outstanding in that show and i would have LOVED to see him win that Tony. Next time, i hope. He's fantastic.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#12re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 1:59am

Betty - I would hardly call the role of Shrek shilling. It is a great role and he gets to sing some beautiful songs. He really shines in the title role, and I trust that Brian would do a show for more than just the money.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#13re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:04am

I'm with Betty. It's a shilling, theme-park role. For goodness sakes, they hold their day of show ticket lottery at M&M World!

Talkin' Loud, how is it a self-acknowledge piece of fluff? I think the show is filled with pretensions. It positions itself as a fun piece with an important message, but, even aside from how terrible the quality of everything is, I find the message to be buried in the mix and hypocritical.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#14re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:04am

"Sometimes you dont get the award for your career...that tends to happen in the Oscars not the Tonys. BDJ will get a Tony the next time ..."

Judy Kuhn is a class performer (and one of my favourites) .. but never won a Tony Award and has been nominated three times (Les Miserables, Chess & She Loves Me) - so I wouldn't say that he's def going to get one!

I don't know if I would have picked him, but I probably wouldn't have voted for the Billy's. Just an opinion of course!

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#15re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:07am

It is a combo of role and performance! You cant win if you're not a good actor, but if you dont have a strong character, you can not display you are a good actor!

And lets face it, Shrek is an awful part in an average show! Just because you can wear heavy make up, heavy costume and stand on stage for a few hours speaking with an accent does NOT make you deserve a Tony, I could do that if I REALLY wanted to, but I wouldnt win a Tony!

I am not happy with the result (I think Gavin should have won) But lets face it, the Billy Boys have a much more demanding role (even if they do do less performances, but remember they are children) and they put the heart into every performance and it pays off, with every one of them being outstanding!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#16re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:11am

^ I also think it should have been Gavin.

WestonBoy Profile Photo
WestonBoy
#17re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:22am

Brian d'Arcy James does something with a crummy role and some lousy material. He delivers a delightful star turn and covers many broad scopes of emotion. His level of commitment is clear and he is a solid, steady and reliable leading man.

I saw SHREK on Thursday and found myself wishing BDJ would take home the Tony tonight. The Act One finale alone leaves the obvious truth: BDJ can do an incredible thing with only a little bit. An extraordinary actor.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#18re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:27am

^ Well said.

By the way, I figured there would be more of an upset that Fonda lost.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#19re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:32am

and why wasn't Chita Rivera even nominated?

Thank you. I've seen people make this claim more than once lately and it bothers me every time. This is the first time EVER the role of Anita has won the Tony. Do some freakin' research before making absurd claims.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 6/8/09 at 02:32 AM

A Director
#20re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:39am

Let's call it a draw, Karen won for her singing and acting, not her dancing.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:43am

^ Obviously, lol.

A Director
#22re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:49am

The Tony should have gone to Horton Foote not the overpraised show that won.

crushgroove
#23re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 3:39am

I think Brian was already locked into Shrek before the DC run of Next to Normal was finalized. So the guy took a job, can't really blame him if the end result didn't end up to be the best choice. It still kills me that three 13 year olds get an award that the other 4 actors have been working for much longer.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#24re: Tony loser with most legitimate gripe
Posted: 6/8/09 at 6:14am

^ok...THAT'S just silly. Because it's their first time on B'way they shouldn't have won? It's not like all three boys just decided to "do a show" one day. Theyve been dancing for years.

THAT being said: I still don't think the boys deserved the award...yes, they are phenomenal dancers...but actors or singers? Um....no. Giving them an award because they are so young is wrong as well. At least the other nominees know that the adage to never perform with kids and animals spills over into never expect a win when nominated against them, either!!

And I don't think ANY of them has a legitmate "gripe"....as one of the nominees said (Gavin Creel, maybe?): they have a better chance of WINNING (1 in 5) then they do of being nominated (1 in DOZENS). The biggest oversight to the noms, imho, is the absence of Aaron Tveit's recognition.

And on goes the battle....can't wait for next year!!!!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos