News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 13

2017 TONY Awards Performances

BroadwayMan5
#3002017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 12:47am

I'm disappointed that Anastasia isn't performing. I'm not disappointed but a little surprised that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and A Bronx Tale didn't spring for a performance

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#3012017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 1:04am

I'm also a bit surprised to see that Anastasia and A Bronx Tale won't be performing.  I figured that they would want the exposure.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#3022017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 1:09am

theatregeek6 said: "I am guessing 'Welcome Home' would be a little tough on the Tonys?  I wish they were doing 'you deserve it'. But I'll take whatever.  

"

I'm hoping for either "Love Will Come and Find Me Again" or "Nobody"

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#3032017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 8:41am

MrsSallyAdams said:

"Revivals
Falsettos – Andrew Rannells said it will be a group number. Baseball game?
Hello, Dolly! – Scott Rudin says Penny in My Pocket (Trolling at it’s finest)
Miss Saigon"

Is Miss Saigon supposed to perform? I think the show's group numbers would be problematic, because they're either too risque for TV (e.g., The Heat is on in Saigon) or logistically impossible (e.g., Kim's Nightmare/The Fall of Saigon). If they're going to do a number, I expect it will be a simple duet like "Last Night of the World".

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 6/9/17 at 08:41 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#3042017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 8:43am

My hope is for Miss Saigon to start with "Movie in my Mind" and segue into "Last Night of the World." The two together pack a huge emotional punch and would prove a very memorable performance.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#3052017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 8:51am

BroadwayConcierge said: "My hope is for Miss Saigon to start with "Movie in my Mind" and segue into "Last Night of the World." The two together pack a huge emotional punch and would prove a very memorable performance."

That could be nice, and it would at least allow for a few more cast members to be involved than just Chris/Kim.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#3062017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 9:08am

MrsSallyAdams said: "Revivals
"

Rannells confirmed in a podcast interview that it will not be "The Baseball Game". Spencer Liff posted something on Instagram about a Tony performance rehearsal, so maybe FALSETTOS is doing "This Had Better Come to a Stop"? 

It's the only choreographed song I can think of that really highlights all 4 of the nominees. "Four Jews..." could be possible too, but Stephanie doesn't do much in that song. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 6/9/17 at 09:08 AM

JennH
#3072017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:44am

My question is why are Bandstand and War Paint performing at all? It's usually the nominees for Best Musical and Best Revival perform, so why has this seemingly changed over the years? It basically negates those who are nominated. Because of this, I don't question at all why Anastasia or others aren't performing. I DO want to see a broadway.com blog from them however...

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3082017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:47am

LYLS3637 said: "MrsSallyAdams said: "Revivals
"

Rannells confirmed in a podcast interview that it will not be "The Baseball Game". Spencer Liff posted something on Instagram about a Tony performance rehearsal, so maybe FALSETTOS is doing "This Had Better Come to a Stop"? 

It's the only choreographed song I can think of that really highlights all 4 of the nominees. "Four Jews..." could be possible too, but Stephanie doesn't do much in that song. 
"

In her AOL Build interview Block said that all seven cast members would be performing.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#3092017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:49am

I have a feeling that while David Hyde Pierce is performing, I'll still be in denial that out of all the numbers, Hello Dolly! chose to do "Penny in my Pocket" for the Tony Awards, no matter if I know why that number was chosen.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#3102017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:52am

IdinaBellFoster said: "LYLS3637 said: "MrsSallyAdams said: "Revivals
"

"

In her AOL Build interview Block said that all seven cast members would be performing.
"

That's awesome!!! Then maybe it'll be a shortened "A Day in Falsettoland"? I'd love for them to end the performance with a huge "Feel alright for the rest of your life/Everything will be alright!"

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#3112017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:52am

JennH said: "My question is why are Bandstand and War Paint performing at all? It's usually the nominees for Best Musical and Best Revival perform, so why has this seemingly changed over the years? It basically negates those who are nominated. Because of this, I don't question at all why Anastasia or others aren't performing. I DO want to see a broadway.com blog from them however..."

The producers are paying to perform?

War Paint is, at least, highlighting two of the greatest living actress on the American musical stage. I also think Bandstand, should its number land well, could see a bump in sales following a performance. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

froote
#3122017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:53am

JennH said: "My question is why are Bandstand and War Paint performing at all? It's usually the nominees for Best Musical and Best Revival perform, so why has this seemingly changed over the years? It basically negates those who are nominated. Because of this, I don't question at all why Anastasia or others aren't performing. I DO want to see a broadway.com blog from them however..."

Because the producers have the money to pay for it and want to use the opportunity to promote their show.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3132017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 10:53am

"Penny in My Pocket," in the context of the production, is a charming number and very well-done by Pierce.

But in the context of an award show, a huge, lavish production with a legendary star and millions in the bank doing a charming solo from the second lead in front of the curtain is nothing but trolling.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#3142017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:02am

With Midler not performing, LuPone and Ebersole are the by far the biggest musical stars of the night, and their number will almost certainly be a showstopper. It'll be great buzz for War Paint.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#3152017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:17am

I agree with Kad; having just seen Dolly (again) and Anastasia last week, as much as I love DHP, it is a real slap in the face not to perform a more "energetic" song. For God's sake, even DHP asked to be nominated as lead actor so Gavin Creel would have a chance at supporting. Let Gavin and the cast do something! DHP will be great but it's not fair to that wonderful supporting cast and ensemble (and costumes)...

As for poor Anastasia, maybe they are taking a cue from Scott Rudin by not performing, keeping it under wraps. Moving that intricate and gorgeous "projection" set would be huge and expensive. The 2nd act opening in Paris would have been lovely to see.

Aside from that, I think Anastasia is still banking on those couple of songs. Thank Heaven for Caroline O'Connor (& John Bolton) in Act two. Even RK and that interminable 1st act struggle. (imo, of course).

I am THRILLED to see Christine and Patti again!!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 6/9/17 at 11:17 AM

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#3162017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:22am

Re: Anastasia 

What could this mean? https://twitter.com/anastasiabway/status/873197150930448384

BroadwayConcierge
#3172017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:24am

I still can't wrap my head around "Penny in my Pocket." If you absolutely need to do a completely non-Bette number (which I still don't get, but whatever), why not "Elegance" or "It Only Takes a Moment" or even "Ribbons Down my Back"? Why not highlight Creel and/or Baldwin? Why do the literal cheapest number in the whole show? It's charming in the show's context but will be utterly laughable at the Tonys and I already feel badly for DHP.

I'm still just so mad.  

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#3182017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:33am

reginula said: "Re: Anastasia 

What could this mean? https://twitter.com/anastasiabway/status/873197150930448384

"

That they are trying to find a way to promote their show during the Tony awards without being one of the ones to perform on the Tony awards? They will probably have some the actors go on the Facebook live account to congratulate people as the awards are given

JSquared2
#3192017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:37am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I still can't wrap my head around "Penny in my Pocket."  ....  I'm still just so mad.  "

And ridiculous.  Don't forget ridiculous. It's a TV awards show, get over it.

froote
#3202017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:38am

It says they're going live at 1PM so it wont be during the show.

BroadwayConcierge
#3212017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:45am

JSquared2 said: "And ridiculous.  Don't forget ridiculous. It's a TV awards show, get over it."

Rude! 2017 TONY Awards Performances

Tony performances are the de facto way by which Broadway productions are remembered and revisited generations down the line. I reserve the right to be mad that one of my favorite productions ever won't be entering the history books as it rightfully should.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#3222017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:47am

Betsy Wolfe just posted a photo from their rehearsal on Instagram. Both Rannells and Borle have rackets in their hands, so safe to say it's probably an abridged version of "A Day in Falsettoland".

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#3232017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:51am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Betsy Wolfe just posted a photo from their rehearsal on Instagram. Both Rannells and Borle have rackets in their hands, so safe to say it's probably an abridged version of "A Day in Falsettoland"."

YAY!! SO excited!! Thank you for finding this!! 

BroadwayConcierge
#3242017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/9/17 at 11:54am

Love this beautiful shot of Jenn at Radio City!

https://twitter.com/chadkimball1/status/872998695964463105

Videos