News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 19

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#450Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:31am

I still hope if Audra gets a week off at some point, Tonya Pinkins fills in. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#451Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:34am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "See comment #436 outlining why the Donna Murphy DOLLY situation (if that prompted your detached-from-reality thinking)was a total anomaly, not a precedent-setter.!"

And yet now we are going to have Nicole S. have an alternate in 'Sunset Blvd' as well as Eddie and Gayle having alternates in Cabaret. It does seem like it is becoming more common.

hearthemsing22
#452Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:36am

Wick3 said: "Do you think Billy Porter would be involved in this production? Like perform as Mama Rose once a week to give Audra a break?

I loved his impromptu performance of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" at the Tony Awardsa few years ago.
"

No. Nope. 

spicemonkey
#453Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:36am

Wick3 said: "Do you think Billy Porter would be involved in this production? Like perform as Mama Rose once a week to give Audra a break?

I loved his impromptu performance of "Everything's Coming Up Roses" at the Tony Awardsa few years ago.
"

Absolutely no 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#454Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:43am

Jordan Catalano said: "I still hope if Audra gets a week off at some point, Tonya Pinkins fills in."

I kind of think Pinkins may have burned every last bridge she had in this industry. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Voter
#455Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:48am

Kad said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I still hope if Audra gets a week off at some point, Tonya Pinkins fills in."

I kind of think Pinkins may have burned every last bridge she had in this industry.
"

What do you mean? What did Pinkins do?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#456Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 9:54am

FANtomFollies said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "See comment #436 outlining why the Donna Murphy DOLLY situation (if that prompted your detached-from-reality thinking)was a total anomaly, not a precedent-setter.!"

And yet now we are going to have Nicole S. have an alternate in 'Sunset Blvd' as well as Eddie and Gayle having alternates in Cabaret. It does seem like it is becoming more common.
"

I'm not saying an alternate is uncommon. They're quite common. They're also usually the standby.

The Donna Murphy/DOLLY situation was an anomaly because it's the only time in modern history that someone of that stature did one performance a week (+ vacations), and it seems to have broken some people's brains thinking that it's to be a regular occurrence in the future.

• Bette is a much much much much bigger star than Audra
  • Donna was the rare alternate who did not stand by
  • Donna did not begin until after the Tony Awards so there would be no issue of comparison for the voters. That worked for a show that opened in the spring, but Gypsy begins 7 months before the Tonys and is only on sale through June 29.
  • Good as she was (the best Dolly I saw in that revival), it was an expensive flex by a producer who does not work anymore. Putting the understudy on once a week probably would have sold nearly as many tickets, and the costs would have been far lower.
  • that arrangement only works for someone who is otherwise fine with being unemployed 6 days a week (or, in the very unique and not-replicated Kathie Lee Gifford/Putting It Together situation decades ago, hosting a talkshow)
  • it was, to my knowledge, a rather unhappy experience for a lot of people involved.

Maybe Rachel Tucker in London is a fair comparison to Murphy in the states (did she stand by or only serve as the alternate?), though Tucker is persona non grata on Broadway as far as ticket-selling power goes.

Updated On: 5/31/24 at 09:54 AM

Boq101
#457Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 10:39am

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but as someone who loved Donna in Dolly, what about it was an unhappy experience? 

I do agree trying to get a standby for this is ludicrous. She barely sings in Act 2. She's the name draw. She's still remarkably woefully unknown by a lot of the general public. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#458Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 10:53am

Considering Audra is the selling point- she's not even above the title, she is part of the title- if there was an intent to have an alternate, it would have been announced when tickets went on sale. There is nothing producers loathe more than having to issue refunds.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/31/24 at 10:53 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#459Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 11:50am

Boq101 said: "Not to sidetrack the conversation, but as someone who loved Donna in Dolly, what about it was an unhappy experience?

I do agree trying to get a standby for this is ludicrous. She barely sings in Act 2. She's the name draw. She's still remarkably woefully unknown by a lot of the general public.
"

I didn't know it was an unhappy experience either and am now curious.

I recall listening to Donna Murphy's interview with Paul Wontorek and she said she was pleased with the arrangement since it allows her to perform, have an income, and still have time to spend with her daughter.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#460Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:00pm

Don't know if this has already been stated somewhere in this massive thread...but for those who were asking about other creatives:

Scenic Design: Santo Loquasto

Costume Design: Toni Leslie James

Lighting Design: Jules and Peggy

Sound Design: Scott Lehrer

They also plan to cast 2 other major star names, though no contracts have been signed in this regard.

incomesabby
#461Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:03pm

TaffyDavenport said: "incomesabby said: "good time to say I have a $79 first preview ticketup for grabs.Reason being that abetter seat for the same price opened up right after I hit purchase 😩and I couldn't resist moving up a row based on people's comments about the rear mezz here.

So not sure how to get rid of it now... but I do know there's people out there who would want it(don't flame me if you see it on theatr lol)
"

Call Telecharge customer service, and they'll probably refund the first one if you explain what happened.
"

they did refund me! thank you for the suggestion! (my $79 ticket is already back up, now for $99)

Updated On: 5/31/24 at 12:03 PM

Ensemble1709724344
#462Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:04pm

Can we get some hints at some casting rumors??

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#463Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:09pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Don't know if this has already been stated somewhere in this massive thread...but for those who were asking about other creatives:

They also plan to cast 2 other major star names, though no contracts have been signed in this regard.
"

Do you know if they’re using the original orchestrations? If not, hopefully they get Tunick. 

hearthemsing22
#464Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:15pm

Ensemble1709724344 said: "Can we get some hints at some casting rumors??"

Enough with the "i know but no contracts have been signed yet" why do people do this? Just tell us. this is an anonymous board. Unless someone knows your username it's not like they can sue you for leaking something- Sweaty Oracle does it all the time 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#465Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:31pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Enough with the "i know but no contracts have been signed yet" why do people do this? Just tell us. this is an anonymous board. Unless someone knows your username it's not like they can sue you for leaking something- Sweaty Oracle does it all the time"

In their defense, there's a massive different between "intent to cast two major star names" and "two major star names are actually interested in doing the production and we're close to a deal and hammering out the fine points." Not naming them can be a way of managing expectations.

It's the job of the casting director to create long lists of people who might be right for a part –– people who are realistic and people who aren't –– and then the producers & director choose who actually gets offered. Those offers can only happen one at a time per role. Producers make pie-in-the-sky offers all the time. (Remember Oscar Isaac being offered Nick Arnstein?) Audra's agents (WME) or Wolfe's agents (CAA) might try to make deals with other clients to get them on the same show.

Occasionally there are surprises where a big star says yes to a supporting part, but more often than not the team settles for the 5th or 15th choice –– which is often the best choice, creatively!

Updated On: 5/31/24 at 12:31 PM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#466Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:31pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Don't know if this has already been stated somewhere in this massive thread...but for those who were asking about other creatives:

"

Hoping Santo Loquasto's designs lean closer to his set for Dolly than from his Music Man.

hearthemsing22
#467Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:41pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Enough with the "i know but no contracts have been signed yet" why do people do this? Just tell us. this is an anonymous board. Unless someone knows your username it's not like they can sue you for leaking something- Sweaty Oracle does it all the time"

In their defense, there's a massive different between "intent to cast two major star names" and "two major star names are actually interested in doing the production and we're close to a deal and hammering out the fine points."Not naming them can be a way of managing expectations.

It's the job of the casting director to create long lists of people who might be right for a part –– people who are realistic and people who aren't ––and then the producers & director choose who actually gets offered. Those offers can only happen one at a time per role. Producers make pie-in-the-sky offers all the time. (Remember Oscar Isaac being offered Nick Arnstein?) Audra's agents (WME) or Wolfe's agents (CAA) might try to make deals with other clients to get them on the same show.

Occasionally there are surprises where a big star says yes to a supporting part, but more often than not the team settles for the 5th or 15th choice –– which is often the best choice, creatively!
"

Then why do people say anything at all? If it's not hammered out or sent in stone, why can't they just say "I heard a rumor that 'x' is in talks to star". Why not? It's better than being annoying and a tease 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#468Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:43pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 gave insight into what generally what to expect in this casting, they weren't teasing actual names.

JSquared2
#469Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:44pm

hearthemsing22 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Enough with the "i know but no contracts have been signed yet" why do people do this? Just tell us. this is an anonymous board. Unless someone knows your username it's not like they can sue you for leaking something- Sweaty Oracle does it all the time"

In their defense, there's a massive different between "intent to cast two major star names" and "two major star names are actually interested in doing the production and we're close to a deal and hammering out the fine points."Not naming them can be a way of managing expectations.

It's the job of the casting director to create long lists of people who might be right for a part –– people who are realistic and people who aren't ––and then the producers & director choose who actually gets offered. Those offers can only happen one at a time per role. Producers make pie-in-the-sky offers all the time. (Remember Oscar Isaac being offered Nick Arnstein?) Audra's agents (WME) or Wolfe's agents (CAA) might try to make deals with other clients to get them on the same show.

"

Then why do people say anything at all? If it's not hammered out or sent in stone, why can't they just say "I heard a rumor that 'x' is in talks to star". Why not? It's better than being annoying and a tease
"

But it's fun to see people like you bitch and moan about it!  

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#470Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 12:45pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Ensemble1709724344 said: "Can we get some hints at some casting rumors??"

Enough with the "i know but no contracts have been signed yet" why do people do this? Just tell us. this is an anonymous board. Unless someone knows your username it's not like they can sue you for leaking something- Sweaty Oracle does it all the time
"

I assume this is in response to my post, but if you actually read what I wrote: nowhere in that post did I ever say I know who was being cast. No one has been cast yet. I am only confirming that they INTEND to cast 2 other star names. I was not privy to any names on what is surely a long list of potentials. 

I can confirm though that Audra is signed for a year. And they anticipate weekly costs will hover close to $1 mil.

hearthemsing22
#471Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 1:51pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Ensemble1709724344 said: "Can we get some hints at some casting rumors??"

"

I assume this is in response to my post, but if you actually read what I wrote: nowhere in that post did I ever say I knowwhowas being cast. No one has been cast yet. I am only confirming that they INTEND to cast 2 other star names. I was not privy to any names on what is surely a long list of potentials.

I can confirm though that Audra is signed for a year. And they anticipate weekly costs will hover close to $1 mil.

"

I'm sorry. You're right. You never implied to know who they were and I jumped down your throat. I'm sorry 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#472Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 2:34pm

I hope $1M means it's a big production, but with inflation, that does not seem to be the case.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#473Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 2:34pm

As has been mentioned a few times, Wolfe is probably the kind of director who is going to contextualize the casting, with his thematic interests and his knowledge of theatrical history. And I am particularly thinking about what a different show this would be if Rose were obviously a woman of color but Gypsy or June could "pass" to audiences of the time. Would add different layers to the show's final scenes, Rose's dreams for her children, and make us wonder more about her relationship with their father. Herbie's casting could impact the show in different potential ways.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#474Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/31/24 at 2:52pm

Scarywarhol said: "As has been mentioned a few times, Wolfe is probably the kind of director who is going to contextualize the casting, with his thematic interests and hisknowledge of theatrical history. And I am particularly thinking about what a different show this would be if Rose were obviously a woman of color but Gypsy or June could "pass" toaudiences of the time.Would add different layers to the show's final scenes, Rose's dreams for her children, and make us wonder more about her relationship with theirfather.Herbie's casting could impact the show in different potential ways."

Or if June (the one poised to be a star) is a lighter-skinned Black woman than Louise?

When Louise meets the Gimmick strippers, are they in a Black-only burlesque house? Or is she trying to break into a mostly white space? Is Rose's troupe of young performers integrated, or all Black? Is June running away with a white boy or a Black one (or a boy of another race)?

Until we hear otherwise, I'm just kind of assuming Herbie is going to be a white man with connections to the entertainment industry who can help them break in to spaces where they might not be as welcomed.

These are all interesting questions to explore and Wolfe is the perfect person to explore it. Subtle text tweaks or a line here & there might help, but could also be done fully subtextually.

Updated On: 5/31/24 at 02:52 PM

Videos