News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 21

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#500Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 7:53am

And the deafening screams after, Sing out, Louise!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#501Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 9:59am

I may just wait until Feb, even though the thought of waiting that long is killing me. I already have a Nov trip planned with McNeal and Ragtime a few weeks before this starts. I won't go into the city during the holidays (too damn many people) and I try to keep winter visits to a minimum due to snow/travel issues. So, if I push off to Feb, I can join this with CC's Urinetown.

Ugh, so far away!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MezzA101
#502Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 11:04am

Teaser bottom banner for tomorrow's print A&L, followed by fullpage ad on page 3.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#503Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 12:23pm

A bonus outcome of this being an Audra-led revival of GYPSY:

Patti LuPone has worked with Audra a lot and views her as a peer. So regardless of what she thinks, she'll keep her mouth shut.

As opposed to if someone like Imelda Staunton played Rose on Broadway, Patti would have no problem unloading on her in the press. 😅

Updated On: 6/1/24 at 12:23 PM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#504Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 12:52pm

Ensemble1709724344 said: "Can we get some hints at some casting rumors??"

Think Oscar nominee. It should be announced in tomorrow's full-page A&L ad... ;)

Jesse St. James Profile Photo
Jesse St. James
#505Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 12:57pm

Paul Giamatti is Herbie

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#506Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 1:05pm

...If further casting is being announced in the NYT ad, then anyone who receives the advance-in-ahead-of-the-advance copy (including dozens of theatre industry offices) would have seen that two days ago, and home delivery subscribers should receive it imminently since the Sunday arts section usually arrives Saturday.

It would be incredibly weird timing and choice to announce that all in the print edition. Even weirder would be the silence on this board and on Twitter, and the lack of "CAST" or "OFFER OUT" next to Herbie's character description in the public casting notice.

Updated On: 6/1/24 at 01:05 PM

Strange Lupone
#507Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 1:05pm

Jesse St. James said: "Paul Giamatti is Herbie"

I hope that’s a joke. The NY theatre community has a crazy and ample amount of talented singers and performers who can play Herbie.  I can already feel the sparks between Audra and Danny. Or Audra and Norbert. But Paul? I’ll be disappointed.

Updated On: 6/1/24 at 01:05 PM

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#508Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 1:25pm

Seems silly to compare Hello Dolly with Gypsy, since the former was based on a totally fictional character and the latter an actual person who lived not that long ago, as well as her sister and mother.  One will need to cast off any and all historic accuracy in order to enjoy this version, which is fine.  After all, it is labeled as a Fable.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#509Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 1:51pm

Strange Lupone said: "Jesse St. James said: "Paul Giamatti is Herbie"

I hope that’s a joke. The NY theatre community has a crazy and ample amount of talented singers and performers who can play Herbie. I can already feel the sparks between Audra and Danny. Or Audra and Norbert. But Paul? I’ll be disappointed.
"

Yeah, it would be a shame if the Herbie of this revival didn’t live up to the melodious, golden-voiced standard set by (checks notes) Jack Klugman.

Get a grip!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#510Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 3:03pm

Jesse St. James said: "Paul Giamatti is Herbie"

Absolutely perfect casting. I hope it’s true. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#511Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 3:12pm

Also, Giamatti has 4 Broadway credits, and Herbie only sings a few notes of the score. What’s the issue?

Updated On: 6/1/24 at 03:12 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#512Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 4:12pm

The Giamatti rumor is one I’ve been really hoping is true so fingers crossed. 

MezzA101
#513Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 4:18pm

JP2 said: "Ensemble1709724344 said: "Can we get some hints at some casting rumors??"

Think Oscar nominee. It should be announced in tomorrow's full-page A&L ad... ;)
"

Teaser bottom banner for tomorrow's print A&L, followed by fullpage ad on page 3. Delivered with today's edition. Nothing we didn't already know when tickets went on sale.

MezzA101
Owen22
#515Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 4:25pm

Impeach2017 said: "Seems silly to compare Hello Dolly with Gypsy, since the former was based on a totally fictional character and the latteran actualperson who lived not that long ago, as well as her sister and mother. One will need to cast off any and all historic accuracy in order to enjoy this version, which is fine. After all, it is labeled as a Fable."

There are two ways this can go.  And both involve pretending (but then again, theatre, for all its pursuit of "the truth", is just pretend...).

Anyway, we (meaning George C Wolfe & Co & audience) can pretend there were never three historical people named June Havac, Rose Hovik and Gypsy Rose Lee and they will (probably) put a new emphasis on the musical dealing with race relations during the vaudeville era. Or:

Audra McDonald (and the other actors of color that may be cast) will be pretending to be historical white people. Which is typical colorblind casting, far from the first time this has happened. What's odd is that, besides Hamilton and the all female 1776 (where it actually was the point), colorblind casting is rarely done with historical figures.

Strange Lupone
#516Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 4:54pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Strange Lupone said: "Jesse St. James said: "Paul Giamatti is Herbie"

I hope that’s a joke. The NY theatre community has a crazy and ample amount of talented singers and performers who can play Herbie. I can already feel the sparks between Audra and Danny. Or Audra and Norbert. But Paul? I’ll be disappointed.
"

Yeah, it would be a shame if the Herbie of this revival didn’t live up to the melodious, golden-voiced standard set by (checks notes) Jack Klugman.

Get a grip!
"

I didn’t say a thing about voices. I talked about chemistry. What are you talking about?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#517Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 4:56pm

Super niche but anyone happy that we will soon be able to watch the 'red dress' Sondheim birthday concert and be satisfied that all the ladies in the red dresses have performed a Sondheim role on Broadway???? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#518Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 5:49pm

Strange Lupone said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Strange Lupone said: "Jesse St. James said: "Paul Giamatti is Herbie"

"

Get a grip!
"

I didn’t say a thing about voices. I talked about chemistry. What are you talking about?
"

You did: You said "singers and performers" (in that order). I don't know any logical person who would put Herbie as a singing role before an acting role.

I don't know why Giamatti's casting would be a joke (your words), either. He is in the theatre community, as are hundreds of other famoous, non-famous, and semi-famous actors. His casting would be brilliant but feels like a huge stretch for an actor of his stature. But we'll see what happens.

As for chemistry, we've never seen Burstein & McDonald's chemistry together in this show, nor have we seen Norbert & McDonald's chemistry together in this show, nor have we seen Giamatti & McDonald's chemistry together in this show.

In short, it sounds like you are complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#519Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 10:19pm

binau said: "I have been wondering when to go, and the answer is obviously the first preview. There is no way I'm going to miss out sitting with the gays listening to the overture for the first time!!!!"

Hope to see you there, Binau!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#520Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 10:22pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "binau said: "I have been wondering when to go, and the answer is obviously the first preview. There is no way I'm going to miss out sitting with the gays listening to the overture for the first time!!!!"

Hope to see you there, Binau!
"

Celebrating my birthday by seeing the first preview, plus Scherzy in Sunset. It's sure to be an electric evening. And a nice bookend to when a friend and I saw that 3+ hour first preview of Shuffle Along. The tears I teared during that show!

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#521Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 10:38pm

Jacob, I was just re-reading the Shuffle Along thread (this thread had put it back in my mind) and remembering my experince seeing that first Sunday matinee when it was still 3+ hours. I wish I had seen the first preview - I remmeber what i saw was a mess but a brilliant mess. An unsatisfying theatrical grab brag of genuine brilliance.

And now I'm watching a boot from the late previews (the first time I've revisted the show since 2016)... and goddamn if it isn't one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you see in the moment...

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#522Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 10:47pm

I’ll forever be pissed I wasn’t able to see the first preview of “Shuffle Along” and “Women on the Verge…”

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#523Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/1/24 at 11:08pm

I was lucky to be at the first preview of Shuffle Along. I didn't see it again until after opening. It was like a completely different production after the well-used extended preview period. Most of what was cut or changed had been really interesting, and yet all of the changes made it a stronger show. That's the feeling I remember, even though I can only recall a few clear examples today of what changed.

That show was like a dream. I thought something amazing was happening in that theater and beginning to happen or re-emerge on Broadway, but as may be appropriate to a piece largely about the ephemeral and fickle nature of show business, the promise of the moment vanished so suddenly and completely. Without even an album! I think most of the joy of what I'm feeling for this production is the prospect of the work Wolfe was bringing to expansive new heights there perhaps spiritually continuing in a different way, even in a surprising and ostensibly more commercial context. Isn't there something exciting about that as well? 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#524Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 6/2/24 at 12:26am

Did I hear Shuffle Along? Loved it and Audra was simply sublime and damn that choreography was fire.

Back down memory lane - Here:

Act 1 Finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziv9a8ylKYA

Show clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtMKquSqBko

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos