News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 17

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#400Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:19pm

It's not letting me click on dates. Looks like they have a show on Christmas, but when I click on it, it takes me back to the Telecharge home page. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#401Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:29pm

I think they could stack this with some great theater actors and make it a very notable show. Is the lady who won the Tony for Paradise Square too old to play Louise? I’d like to hear her belt out “if momma was married.” 

MadsonMelo
#402Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:32pm

Not saying she will be selling out the Majestic, but her last two efforts were plays that she didn't sing.

This is Audra doing Gypsy, if it's good, it will be a hit, I think.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#403Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:33pm

Joaquina is 35. They need someone like 21 year old Maleah Joi Moon, not someone pushing 40.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#404Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:33pm

Joaquina Kalukango is 35. As others have said, anyone really over 30 would be kind of ridiculous in this role. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#405Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:45pm

Jordan Catalano said: "People forget that Audra's last two shows on Broadway ("Frankie & Johnny" and "Ohio State Murders"Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season! had something like a 25% weekly attendance and average price of $1.25 per ticket. So people may love her but we have proof that just her alone isn't enough to get people into the theater. It will be very interesting to see how long those seats stay at $400."

Audra Singing >>>>> Audra Not Singing

With that said, this will be a HUGE test of her box office power. She has never been a huge draw and I don't think her career has risen significantly since the last time she headlined a musical.

• PORGY didn't sell out a single week of its run (with 300 less seats per night) and did not recoup.
  • LADY DAY recouped and filled the house decently well –– but the capacity was less than half of the Majestic (680 seats), she only did 7 shows a week, and it was dirt cheap.
  • SHUFFLE sold well in the 800-900K a week range (at just 1080 seats a night) but only ran 19 weeks and, had she stayed with it, might have softened. (see: War Paint, Carousel, Company)

Could it have some million-dollar weeks in the beginning of the run? Absolutely, the fans will flock in early. Could love-letter raves help? Maybe, but LuPone's GYPSY had raves too, opened near the Tonys, closed early, and lost money. If we assume it's starting strong, March would be the time where it shows signs of sagging (about 16 weeks into the run) based on past comps. They'll also be trying to move lots of tickets in the dead of winter.

The producers wanting a Bryan Cranston/Paul Giamatti type or a Zendaya/H.E.R. type is very different than actually securing those people –– and securing them at a pricetag that would not balloon the running costs out of proportion when Wolfe and Audra won't be working for cheap.

If we assume it'll have a cast of 25-35 actors (as is typical for Gypsy when you need multiple children, young adults, and older adults) and an orchestra in the 18-25 range, this is going to need to cross $950K or a million per week just to break even.

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 12:45 PM

MadsonMelo
#406Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:48pm

They are selling through June and I believe it's the timeline for the production. Opening mid-december is a sure thing they will try to get the Tony dates and wrap almost after that. If it's selling really well, the can think of casting someone else, but doesn't seems like.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#407Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:49pm

She absolutely does not have a 6 month contract. 

Jordan Catalano
#408Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:53pm

Really curious who her understudy will be and if she’ll have a standby for certain shows. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#409Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:55pm

RippedMan said: "I think they could stack this with some great theater actors and make it a very notable show. Is the lady who won the Tony for Paradise Square too old to play Louise? I’d like to hear her belt out “if momma was married.”"

I’d like to see Joaquina play Rose someday!
How about Alex Newell or Justin David Sullivan as Louise?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#410Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:56pm

"Maybe, but LuPone's GYPSY had raves too, opened near the Tonys, closed early, and lost money. "

While this is completely true, the production was expected to run until the end of Patti's contract, but announced a two month earlier closing due to the economic crisis happening at the time. I remember it was promoted as closing in March, and then they announced an abrupt January closing, when around 16 Broadway shows closed due to the crisis. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#411Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 1:11pm

It also was originally supposed to be filmed JUST AFTER the moved-up closing date iirc. A real shame. In many ways our status quo is bleaker now, but that was a pretty singular and alarming moment for Broadway shows. It wasn't really a reflection of Gypsy 08's reception that it was among the bloodbath.

Ke3
#412Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 1:17pm

Dolly80 said: "I cannot wait to see this- but I agree that she certainly isn’t a lock for the Tony. I’m sure she’ll be great, but vocally this role isn’t a natural fit for her.
Nicole S will really be the big story on Broadway ant the end of the year, and I predict she will walk away with that award quite comfortably.

"

The last time everyone was aflutter about Audra being vocally miscast was Lady Day and well, we all see how that turned out.

babyjunegem
#413Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 1:18pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jordan Catalano said: "People forget that Audra's last two shows on Broadway ("Frankie & Johnny" and "Ohio State Murders"Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season! had something like a 25% weekly attendance and average price of $1.25 per ticket. So people may love her but we have proof that just her alone isn't enough to get people into the theater. It will be very interesting to see how long those seats stay at $400."

Audra Singing >>>>> Audra Not Singing

With that said, this will be a HUGE test of her box office power. She has never been a huge draw and I don't think her career has risen significantly since the last time she headlined a musical.

• PORGY didn't sell out a single week of its run (with 300 less seats per night) and did not recoup.
  • LADY DAY recouped and filled the house decently well –– but the capacity was less than half of the Majestic (680 seats), she only did 7 shows a week, and it was dirt cheap.
  • SHUFFLE sold well in the 800-900K a week range (at just 1080 seats a night) but only ran 19 weeks and, had she stayed with it, might have softened. (see: War Paint, Carousel, Company)

Could it have some million-dollar weeks in the beginning of the run? Absolutely, the fans will flock in early. Could love-letter raves help? Maybe, but LuPone's GYPSY had raves too, opened near the Tonys, closed early,and lost money. If we assume it's starting strong, March would be the time where it shows signs of sagging (about 16 weeks into the run) based on past comps.They'll also be trying to move lots of tickets in the dead of winter.

The producerswanting aBryan Cranston/Paul Giamatti type or a Zendaya/H.E.R. typeis very different than actually securingthose people –– and securing them at a pricetag that would not balloon the running costs out of proportion when Wolfe and Audra won't be working for cheap.

If we assume it'll have a cast of 25-35 actors (as is typical for Gypsy when you need multiple children, young adults, and older adults) and an orchestra in the18-25 range, this is going to need to cross $950K or a million per week just to break even.
"

H.E.R. isn't a name to sell off of here. She's talented and has gotten a big push from the industry, but she's not clicking.

Zendaya could clean up the box office. Chloe and Halle should be high on the list. Coco Jones too (this could also correct the colorist recasting of the Broadway run A Bronx Tale)

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#414Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 1:54pm

I really don't want "star" names in this. Let's keep it to theatre people. Audra is entitled to be the biggest name here.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jordan Catalano
#415Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:00pm

I’d rather have Denzel as Herbie to ensure the run is long and successful for Audra. 

RussT2
#416Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:01pm

Telecharge's site had me worried! I was logged in a 9 am and at 10 I entered the queue but it said wait time was 15 minutes....When it was my time to get tickets I got the date I wanted and the 3 seats (Row O) Orchestra for $215 each. The row I got was literally the last row with that price because the row in front were $315 each. So I clicked "next" to buy them....and NOTHING. It wasn't loading...I was getting freaked....but I didn't want to leave and get back in line again.....then a few minutes later it went through. Relief!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#417Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:01pm

Isn’t he doing Othello with Gyllenhaal?

BCfitasafiddle
#418Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:07pm

I wonder if Andy Einhorn will serve as Music Director for the production. He does pretty much every musical project with Audra now.

Jordan Catalano
#419Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:26pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Isn’t he doing Othello with Gyllenhaal?"

I didn’t mean him specifically, was using him as an example of a big star.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#420Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:28pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "I wonder if Andy Einhorn will serve as Music Director for the production. He does pretty much every musical project with Audra now."

As I speculated above last night, Andy Einhorn, Daryl Waters, or Shelton Becton would all be natural choices. All 3 have worked with Audra, and two have worked with Wolfe.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#421Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:38pm

everythingtaboo said: "I really don't want "star" names in this. Let's keep it to theatre people. Audra is entitled to be the biggest name here."

Nobody is "entitled" to anything, but a name bigger than Audra seems incredibly unrealistic and could throw off the calibration of the production. It would help sales but would have to be billed & paid accordingly (nobody signs onto an 8-figure musical out of the goodness of their hearts) and could cause her salary to balloon too.

Like I said yesterday, I wouldn't expect a Herbie of bigger stature than someone like Denis O'Hare or David Hyde Pierce at best, nor do I expect a Louise on the level of Zendaya or Keke Palmer who is severely overqualified and could choose to do any project under the sun, even despite the persuasion of Wolfe.

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 02:38 PM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#422Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 3:15pm

Grabbed a ticket for the first preview - $228 for N11. Very very excited - this will be my first time seeing a Broadway show (or even being in New York) since My Fair Lady in 2019. Interesting time to start previews, with Thanksgiving so close. Works great for me cause I'll leave work early, Amtrak up to NYC and stay the night before heading home for the holiday. Hoping the dates don't get delayed!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

hearthemsing22
#423Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 4:10pm

I don't think tickets for the first week will sell so quickly due to it being the week before Thanksgiving. Do ticket sales tend to go up during that time?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#424Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 5/30/24 at 4:49pm

Dynamic pricing has kicked in for just the first preview, 

Videos