News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025- Page 2

BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#25BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025
Posted: 10/25/24 at 8:50pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "With its current grosses, it was only a matter of time (ha).

Solid run though.
"   Ha? You must have ice in your veins to mock a show that is ending.  Rude.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#26BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025
Posted: 10/25/24 at 9:02pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "With its current grosses, it was only a matter of time (ha).

Solid run though.
" Ha? You must have ice in your veins to mock a show that is ending. Rude.
"

Certainly not mocking the closing notice — just coupling an observation with a reference (even if it may not seem like the best time for one). 

Sounds like they clearly built a safe and enjoyable work environment and everyone involved had themselves a blast. 

L! I! B! E! R! T! Y! New York Liberty!

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#27BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025
Posted: 10/26/24 at 1:11am

It's so surreal. I've been waiting for this musical for 12 years, wondering whether it'd even happen. And now it's a flop that's gonna close pretty soon. I quite liked it. Could have been better? Sure. Could it have been worse? Absolutely. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#28BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025
Posted: 10/26/24 at 8:24am

FLarnhill said: "It's so surreal. I've been waiting for this musical for 12 years, wondering whether it'd even happen. And now it's a flop that's gonna close pretty soon. I quite liked it. Could have been better? Sure. Could it have been worse? Absolutely."

“Flop” is really just a financial term relative to its budget. It will have played more than 500 performances in a 1500 seat house. which is better than some Best Musical winners & very prestigious shows! A lot more people will have seen this than the Broadway productions of The Prom, A Strange Loop, Merrily, Some Like It Hot, Kimberly Akimbo, etc.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#29BACK TO THE FUTURE will close January 5, 2025
Posted: 10/26/24 at 10:31am

I feel like in the post-licensing, post-internet age, there are degrees of flops. All the great writing on Broadway economics and the business side of musicals came from a time when licensing houses were less accessible, before the rise of the Big Three. It's probably safe to assume most producer and investor contracts today are drawn up with clauses for tours and licensing as an avenue to recoup over time.

The BIG FLOPS are the ones that close at a loss and just... disappear. No afterlife except sometimes a cast recording, but often not. Think Lestat or Dance of the Vampires, or Spider-Man TOTD for an example that got a recording but still disappeared. There's no world in which these shows ever recoup. A loss is a loss.

The smaller flops are the ones that close at a loss, but have enough of an afterlife in regionals and licensing that little by little, money is coming in. This is MOST closed shows today; it's a relative rarity to see a show genuinely get shelved anymore without a licensing deal.

The "redeemed flops" are the ones that do so well in their afterlife that they wind up being more profitable as post-Broadway shows than they ever did as a sitdown in NYC. Legally Blonde and Seussical are the most famous redeemed flops.

Videos