News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

"Best Musical" 2007 TONY Contenders- Page 2

"Best Musical" 2007 TONY Contenders

Mattbrain
#25re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 9:22pm

Amen, sundaymorning6am. Amen.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#26re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 9:22pm

If Spring Awakening receives rave reviews like it did off broadway, it will not be snubbed...don't worry.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#27re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 9:23pm

Has Love Musik been performed somewhere before? I am hesitant to ever say that one because I've heard nothing but a name and a few cast members, so FOR REAL I say:

Curtains
Grey Gardens
The Pirate Queen
Spring Awakening

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#28re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 9:40pm

Curtains
Grey Gardens
Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening

Grey Gardens will and should win (yeah, it's early). It's the most brilliant thing I've seen since The Light in the Piazza. (not too long ago, I know) It deserves to gain classic status now. Of coruse, ticket sales could slump by June, but at this point, it seems as if it will most likely make it.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#29re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 9:50pm

Spring Awakening
Legally Blonde
The Pirate Queen (if it shapes up)
Gret Gardens

I do not see Poppins getting nominated nor Love Musik...I am still weary of Curtains. The Hirschfield has not been so lucky recently.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

RentBoy86
#30re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 10:07pm

Well, Piazza may have been "brillant" but it didn't win. I'd say Curtains has the biggest chance of winning because it's really the only "comedy" opening this season. And I'm not sure how you all can nominate Lovemusik if you've never heard the score and know nothing about it. But I think this year is the year of the small shows (Grey Gardens, Curtains, Spring Awakening...)

Lizzya9
#31re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 10:10pm

Mary Poppins! = )

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#32re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 10:22pm

Yes, Piazza didn't win. I was just saying Grey Gardens is the best I've seen since Piazza. It was making no Tony comparison.
If anything should steal Grey Garden's trophy, it should be Curtains. Very clever score by Kander and Ebb, comic book. It was good out of town. I'm hoping it shapes up even more for Broadway.

McFrenzied Profile Photo
McFrenzied
#33re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/24/06 at 11:54pm

I think this will be the "Indie" year too, just like last year's Oscar race. If artistically challenging and inspired fare like "Spring Awakening" isn't nominated (I havn't seen Grey Gardens yet), then we DESERVE to have nothing on Broadway but movie musicals and fizzy fare! Mary Poppins could be the spoiler here. The Tony Committee may be thinking that the telecast needs at least one big show in order to boost the ratings.

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#34re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:28am

I'm so happy I saw "Spring Awakening" over "Tarzan"...

Very good choice on my part, I say...

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#35re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:48am

Legally Blonde
Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening
Grey Gardens

Possibly switching Legally Blonde with Curtains.

I'm just curious to see what's gonna win this year...

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#36re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 1:36am

Grey Gardens
Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening
Curtains

Grey Gardens will be in, because the show itself received better reviews for its book and score this time around, along with Ebersole's acclaimed performance. Mary Poppins will be in for not being Tarzan, and while the reviews ran the gamut, it's too big a hit to ignore, and touring markets will want a piece of it. Spring Awakening, which did not earn raves Off-Broadway (most critics liked or loved the score, but found fault with a perceived disconnect between score and source material), will still be in for being the "new thing". Curtains will be in, since the show is a crowd pleaser, and it's about the theatre.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Rentaholic2
#37re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 1:56am

Wow, I didn't realize Mary Poppins wasn't a strong lead contender. Were the reviews bad? I've been lazy and haven't read any yet, but the show looked like it'd be amazing to me (and I love the London cast album)

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#38re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 3:00am

This is such a strong year but...
Pirate Queen
Spring Awakening
Grey Gardens
Fame Becomes Me

I really am not sure other strong contenders are Legally Blond, High Fidelity and Marry Poppins

"Passion can drive you crazy but is there any other way to live"

FoscasBohemianDream
#39re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 5:05am

RentBoy, LoveMusik does not have an original score, it will feature the songs of Kurt Weill which are brilliant and exquisite, plenty of them written for the stage, most of them cabaret standards. So the score is most likely going to be one of the best things about the show. Donna Murphy has gotten glowing reviews in just about every Broadway show in which she has had a major role (though she got mixed reviews for her Tony Award-winning turn in the 1996 revival of The King & I) and Michael Cerveris is one of the most prominent leading men currently working on Broadway. Hal Prince is one of the most legendary living directors. With such pedigree the show is bound to be at least of the same quality as Curtains, which is why some of us think of it as a very likely contender in the Best Musical category.
I hope Mary Poppins does not get a nomination, it is such a mediocre show.
Am I right to believe Grey Gardens is the front-runner at this point?

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#40re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 7:35am

In Alphabetical Order...

Curtains
Grey Gardens
Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening

End of story. The Tonys are always the easist awards to guess.

punk ballerina  Profile Photo
punk ballerina
#41re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 9:43am

Curtains
Mary Poppins
Legally Blonde
???????

I think Spring Awakening could potenitally get a nomanation, but I do not think it will win.
But I'm not really sure what to put in the last spot. It could possibly be "Fame Becomes Me" or somthing else but for now, I will leave it blank.

But, Best Revival is one of the simplest awards to list and guess, unless of course you have 2 very strong revivals like ACL and Le Miserables, but I'm getting off topic!

wow thats pretty deep...did ya get that off a bumper sticker?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#42re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 9:47am

my guesses as of now:

Grey Gardens
Mary Poppins
LoveMusik
Curtains

Just saw SPRING AWAKENING on Bway and I thought it was one of the most distasteful and artistically challenged shows I've seen in awhile. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I really doubt this Broadway transfer helped the show any, infact I think it hurt the show. I don't see it running too long at all, especially being around during TONY time. It was a decent off-Broadway show, but why on? Anyway...the above 4 are what I think as of now. Not really knowing much about LM, LB, or TPQ...just my prognosticating at this moment.

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#43re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 11:54am

All I have heard about GG is that, except Ebersole, it is really bad.

Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening
Curtains
(either LoveMusik or Pirate Queen)

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#44re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:11pm

I'm thinking..

Curtains
Grey Gardens
LoveMusik
Spring Awakening

Though, it could very well happen that POPPINS is nominated instead of one of those shows.

alwy15
#45re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:35pm

what about High Fidelity? I saw it, its sort of the Wedding Singer of the season --- really cute, some fun stuff, nothing life changing, but it was good, and a good lead performance.
and pirate queen -- i saw that ---- atrocious. atrocious. oh god it was bad.
not gettin nominated. just a mess.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#46re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 1:50pm

re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders

"All I have heard about GG is that, except Ebersole, it is really bad."

Considering that most of the people on here love the show and that most of the reviews were raves, particularly the major reviews, I want to inform you that my BS alarm just went off.

You may hit snooze if you really want.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#47re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 2:06pm

UMMMM, alwy15....NO!! No way in HELL is High Fidelity getting a nomination. I saw it last night, it blew. You can't compare it to Wedding Singer because WS actually had some standout performances and good music. High Fidelity is nothing more than a piece of crap. It is pretty much guaranteed that Curtains and Grey Gardens will get nominations, with the other two spots possibly being filled by LoveMusik, Mary Poppins, Spring Awakening, and Pirate Queen. High Fidelity and Legally Blonde (unless its surprisingly awesome) have no chance of making the list.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#48re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 2:20pm

I personally think Pirate Queen would get nominated over High Fidelity.

Maybe alwy15 thinks today is opposite day.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

McFrenzied Profile Photo
McFrenzied
#49re: 'Best Musical' 2007 TONY Contenders
Posted: 11/25/06 at 2:42pm

LaCage wrote: Just saw SPRING AWAKENING on Bway and I thought it was one of the most distasteful and artistically challenged shows I've seen in awhile. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I really doubt this Broadway transfer helped the show any, infact I think it hurt the show.

LaCage, I normally love the disparity of opinions that can be found on this board, but the strength of your vehemence struck me as a little unfriendly. Did you even see it off broadway? If not, how can you say that the transfer hurt the show? If so, what would make you go back to see something which you obviously didn't like the first time? It sounds like you have an axe to grind.
Smaxie, your post made me curious (I have way too much time on my hands!) and I googled some of SA's earlier reviews. Every single major NY periodical ( The New York Times, TimeOutNY, Variety, NY Observer, USA Today, Associated Press, New York Magazine, and New Yorker) were overwhelmingly positive.

Videos