News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !- Page 4

Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#75re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:52am

I wish I could take credit for that, Dre, but it's a quote from the opening monologue of "The Drowsy Chaperone."

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#76re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:52am

I can't believe Constantine got a nomination over James Barbour. There's just absolutely no comparison, Barbour's performance was one of the best I saw this year. Like everyone was saying, they really left out/forgot most of shows that have already closed -- Tale was shutout (and really could have been in the mix for lighting and orchestrations), nothing for Seagull, only lighting and sound for Equus...

I'm also [less] upset for the lack of Radcliffe and Tveit, and think Shrek deserved a set nomination.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#77re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:54am

whyyyyy did guys and dolls get nominated for best revival? i realize it's not like there were tons of revivals that didn't get nominated, but can't they just nominate pal joey, west side, and hair?? guys and dolls was seriously the worst piece of theater i have ever seen.

They need to fill the category. If there are four revivals, no matter what, they will nominate them all.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#78re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

How about I can't believe Constantine got a Tony nomination, PERIOD.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#79re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !

logan0215: I know that. huge fan of Drowsy Chaperone but you were the one that said it on this thread (which was needed) so crediting you.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#80re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 10:58am

So you loved the show from the 2nd to last scene to the end? What a snub!

Basically. I didn't think anyone was great in the first act. I thought it ended well. I am not really sure I would have nominated anyone from the show. Janey's number was fun. I did think Get Out and Stay Out was a show stopper. 20 or so people stood after she sang. (Probably the same ones who laughed and clapped when she said, "No good deed goes unpunished.") It wasn't a show I would pay to see again. If I had to nominate one of the women, it would be Stephanie, I think. I adore Alison, but her voice made me cringe throughout the first act.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#81re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:01am

Well thank you. I would go out on a limb, though, to say that BE is Elton's most effective score and I really enjoyed the production I saw... in London. It's as if Tony voters felt as though they needed to mirror the critical acclaim it received in London.

As for Shelley:

I think that "Grandma's Song" can be subject to the following story from PalJoey:

Arthur Laurents, the Bitchiest Man Ever to Work in the Theater, infamously turned on director Sam Mendes during previews for the Bernadette Peters revival.

Despite knowing that Arthur was saying awful things about him all over town, Mendes still wanted Arthur's approval.

So Sam called Arthur one night after the performance to tell him how well it had gone and how much better Bernadette was getting. But nothing could change Arthur's mind: The production was a debacle.

Finally, near defeat, Sam said, "Well, Arthur, the strippers got a big hand."

"Oh, please, Sam" Arthur said. "ANYONE can make that number work. You could cast Saddam Hussein and his two sons as those strippers and they STILL would get a big hand. Good NIGHT."

And with that he hung up the phone.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#82re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:05am

I'm very surprised that Aaron Tveit was left out. Constantine over Matt - I didn't see that one coming.

Very happy that Arthur Laurents was snubbed for his butchering of West Side Story.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MeganW Profile Photo
MeganW
#83re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:05am

I was a fan of Stockard Channing's performance in Pal Joey, and though it's quite derisively spoken of, I enjoyed her version of ?Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered? so I?m happy she got the nod.

On the other hand, Radcliffe deserved a nomination.

If people have split views about your work, I think it's flattering. I'd rather have them feel something about it than dismiss it.
Stephen Sondheim

bestoffates.com

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#84re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:07am

Ok - What happened to "Irina's Vow"?

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

mgcproductions Profile Photo
mgcproductions
ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#86re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:18am

I just thought I'd pop in to say that I love Allison Janney.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#87re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:24am

The only thing I truly want to bitch about is Shrek being nominated for Best Musical. Really?? Shrek?? What a waste.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#88re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:26am

Snubs I am upset about:
Tovah Felshuh
Kristin Scott Thomas
9 to 5 Best Musical
Stephanie Block
Megan Hilty
9 to 5 Book
9 to 5 Set Design
9 to 5 Costumes
Matt Cavenaugh
Arthur Laurents
James Barbour
Daniel Radcliffe

People/things nominated that I am upset about:
anything Rock of Ages - the worst show I've ever seen
James Gandolfini
Hope Davis
Jeff Daniels
J. Robert Spencer
Stockard Channing
John Glover
David Bologna???
Pal Joey Set Design
Next to Normal Set Design
Hair Costume Design

Luckily, BILLY ELLIOT will win practically all these awards, so I probably won't be too upset with the winners.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#89re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:29am

Aaron Tveit was robbed. He is the glue of that show and deftly alternates being loving presence and eerie devil boy. He was stunning.

Also, hated to see Risch snubbed and Maroulis nominated. Matt gave 110% as Joey.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#90re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:32am

From what I saw Matt Cavanaugh was not snubbed. I like him a lot but he brought nothing new to the role of Tony. His portrayal was boring and wooden.

Arthur Laurents wasn't snubbed either as far as I'm concerned.

Barbour and Radcliffe were snubbed.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#91re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:35am

9 to 5 winning a TONY for costume design would be ludicrous. They might as well give it to the film's costume designer Ann Roth.

JerseyGirl- Was just checking if you meant that the 11 o'clock number being a great ballad meant that you loved the show, thanks for clarifying.

Although Stephanie got a powerhouse song to sing, I think that Janney brought her A-game acting-wise (as she always does) and was actually not given the chance to shine vocally as the chorus was "backing" (read: covering) her up for the majority of her songs.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#92re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:37am

"9 to 5 winning a TONY for costume design would be ludicrous. They might as well give it to the film's costume designer Ann Roth."

I've never seen the movie...was just going by what I saw on stage.

Ole Chum
#93re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:41am

The big surprise is Rock of Ages- i had no intention of seeing this show, but now that it picked up five noms and will run forever... I know everyone is shocked by Constantine's nomination, but I cant exactly think of any other leading musical men who so deserved that spot... Matt Cavanaugh got lukewarm reviews, and Barbour's show closed forever ago.

You can hate 9 to 5 all you want (i didnt see it...) but 4 nominations for such a top-talent show is a slap in the face, especially when the beneficiary is a show like RofA. It may be well deserved, I dont know, but Dolly Parton is definitely this year's Mel Brooks.
Same goes for nominating Stockard Channing's limp, boring performance over either Hilty or BLock. A big slap considering how weak the nominated talent is.

Other huge snubs, in my opinion:
Godot over Exit the King AND The Seagull???

the entire Best Actress in A Play category bothers me. Where is Tovah Feldshuh??? Irenas Vow, fine, everyone hated it but i thought tovah was BRILLIANT.
Kristin Scott Thomas and Carla Gugino left out... for Hope Davis? Really? I dont see how you can even compare!

I have not seen Billy Elliot and thought Aaron Tveit wasnt as strong as his three costars...but that little kid who performs 4 shows a week singing one song, over Tveit? Stupid.

Hair definitely walks away with Best Revival, right? I mean, with so few nominations for WSS, theres no way it wins anything other than Karen Olivo getting her Tony?

And wow, Desire Under the Elms has about, what, 20 minutes left on Broadway? That show, and Irenas Vow, should be gone by the end of the week... and I thought both were damn fine theater.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#94re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:47am

Don't you mean Karen Olivo applauding while Haydn Gwynne gets her Tony? It's bound to happen...

~Steven

outdamnwench
#95re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:49am

"9 to 5 winning a TONY for costume design would be ludicrous. They might as well give it to the film's costume designer Ann Roth."

If we're comparing film-to-stage costume designs, then BE shouldn't even be nominated.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#96re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 11:50am

Well where to begin with my bitching? There are some things I am really happy about. Yay for Title of Show being recognized for anything. Yay for Raul Esparza being nominated again, his time will eventually come (though it should have already, yes Ill be sour forever about that). But thats about all that made me happy. WTF are nominations for Heidi Blickenstaff, Aaron Tevit, Stephanie J. Block and probably most importantly Daniel Raddcliffe? Ok so maybe the producers should have made 9to5 ladies featured and obviously we see how they feel about the show which doesnt bother me. But Stockard Channing! Why?!? Was her performance in that crap revival so incredible to be nominated with no chance of winning against the likes of Hilty or Block. I think of the two Block would have been more deserving of the nom but I mean really? Im happy it seems the award is in the bag for Ripley but I think the nomination itself is a great honor and should be given out for the right performance and frankly Channing didnt need the nomination nor is deserving of it. I dont dislike her but I find the nom to be ludarcris. That being said, good for Rock of Ages. I didn't want to see 9to5 nominated. But [title of show was better]. I know they had little to no hope of being nominated and I agree they didnt quite deserve the score nomiantion. Book and score came out just as I had predicted. But They were far more original and should have been honored with the best musical nomination and the right to perform. That being said, we get it already! Billy Elliot is some amazing musical that everyone feels they needed to kiss the ass of. We get its going to win virtually everything and it wont tie producers but will come very close. But Carol Shelley? Shes a wonderful performer but give the nomination to the up and coming more in need of the nomination actress. Im talking about miss Heidi here! Shame to not nominate her or even Susan. Both brought heart and soul and Heidi is only just beginning to take us by storm. She will be back and hopefully her time will come. I think the leading actor in a play catagory is actually pretty good but I just really liked Radcliffe's performance and would have liked to see him get a nom over Daniels but I understand his inclusion. Aaron Tveit being left out may be due to the fact he will be leaving early and im sure a CMIYC nom will happen, but i feel it was more of the Billy Elliot ass kissing that excluded him. Im tired now! End of Rant for Now.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

touchmeinthemorning
#97re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:02pm

Why don't I see...

[title of show] up for best show!
Neither gal from [title of show] up for featured actress!
James Barbour for best actor
Megan Hilty for best actress
Aaron Tveit for best featured
Kathy Fitzgerald for best featured
Daniel Radcliffe for best actor
Kristin Scott Thomas for best actress
Moses Kaufman - for best director
Armfield - for best director
Kate Mulligan for best featured actress

SURPRISE SHUTOUTS:
Tale of Two Cities
Seagull
All My Sons
Desire Under the Elms

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#98re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:07pm

That was incredibly hard to read, Theatreboy. I think I may have gone blind.

~Steven

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#99re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
Posted: 5/5/09 at 12:08pm

IMO Stockard deserves the nod over Block or Hilty. She was heartbreaking. If people are going to knock on a "non-singer", then take back Janney's nod. She was singing flatter than Stockard. Stockard is a top notch actress and was great in that role.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos