News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024- Page 6

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024

B212323
#125CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:17pm

TaffyDavenport said: "‘CABARET’ ISCOSTLIEST BROADWAY REVIVAL

https://mailchi.mp/bwayjournal/sprecher-loses-rights-to-rebecca-15384020?e=a9cf22d0ab

"

The most shocking thing about this story is that Here Lies Love capitalization in 22 million dollars. They are no where near breaking even each week. If Eddie Redmayne comes in they'll do what they're doing in London (and with Little Shop) and bring in 'names' for the emcee and sally every six months so I can see them recoup.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#126CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:25pm

No way will this ever recoup in my opinion. Those costs are insane. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

lopside
#127CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:32pm

I don't think they want big names really (or should be aiming for). Just enough that it creates some excitement among those who know them, but ultimately the show has to be the star and they don't have to pay "stars". The cast with the longest run in London were the least known ones. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#128CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:35pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- costly musicals/shows losing all their money has a ripple effect on the state of investor relations on Broadway. Costs going up like this isn't good.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#129CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:36pm

If they hope to rely on stars to replace, that is RISKY. If they’re a star that can command a big enough salary there should be other offers knocking too that won’t come with as much comparison. The replacements they’ve had in London aren’t megawatt names. Settling for C-listers or solid theatre actors doesn’t cut it at the box office unless this show transcends all expectations. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#130CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:43pm

Voter said: "I've said it before and I'll say it again-- costly musicals/shows losing all their money has a ripple effect on the state of investor relations on Broadway. Costs going up like this isn't good."

100%. This is a real “fool me thrice” after COMET and HLL. Of the three this has the most name recognition, but as we know from countless other revivals that can’t be relied on too much in the longterm.

Wish there was a giant warehouse or two in midtown with a good lobby/dressing rooms/bathrooms that could accommodate immersive productions without the extra costs that come associated with Broadway.

Updated On: 9/20/23 at 02:43 PM

B212323
#131CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 2:48pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Voter said: "I've said it before and I'll say it again-- costly musicals/shows losing all their money has a ripple effect on the state of investor relations on Broadway. Costs going up like this isn't good."

100%. This is a real “fool me thrice” after COMET and HLL. Of the three this has the most name recognition, but as we know from countless other revivals that can’t be relied on too much in the longterm.

Wish there was a giant warehouse or two in midtown with a good lobby/dressing rooms/bathrooms that could accommodate immersive productions without the extra costs that come associated with Broadway.
"

That would've been Roseland but they tore that down for a fugly skyscraper.  I'm still surprised HLL didn't take CITS or rent out Studio 54 - they would've lent themselves much more to the disco/club set. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#132CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 3:07pm

I get why they went the Broadway route, but I think doing something like Sleep No More could have been a cheaper, better option. Have an actual night club, etc.

chrishuyen
#133CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 3:13pm

B212323 said: "That would've been Roseland but they tore that down for a fugly skyscraper. I'm still surprised HLL didn't take CITS or rent out Studio 54 - they would've lent themselves much more to the disco/club set."

I think in the Variety article they mentioned that they had once been in talks to go to Studio 54 but that fell through.  And it's been talked about a good amount but I don't think CITS would've had the space for them to do everything they wanted to do while having both standing and seating options. (fwiw I feel like the mezz might overhang too far in Studio 54 for it to work as well as the Broadway, though I've never been there when it was an actual nightclub during the Cabaret revival)

The Broadway Journal article mentions there will be pre-show performances, but I wonder if they'll still go for the stage door entrance approach.   

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#134CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 3:22pm

CITS would be way too small for what they wanted to do with HLL. They need the mezz to make their real money and cater to more traditional buyers who don’t want to stand all night, and the Broadway has a huge mezz. I don’t think any other traditional Bway house would have made a difference.

NoItAll
#135CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 12:10am

binau said: "No way will this ever recoup in my opinion. Those costs are insane."

Wanna recoup? Two words

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#136CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 12:25am

NoItAll said: "binau said: "No way will this ever recoup in my opinion. Those costs are insane."

Wanna recoup?Two words
"

You are right  That was horrible.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#137CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 1:08am

binau said: "No way will this ever recoup in my opinion. Those costs are insane."

Look. If there was a show this season to turn into our next long-runner, I'd expect it to be this one. It's a very unique take on a classic property (i.e. known entity, but worth seeing again) that will probably take home some big Tony wins, will never tour, and will probably become the thing to see (I know it'll immediately jump to the top of my recommendations list). But, it's definitely still a very tough lift. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#138CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 1:30am

1) High price tag, but this Cabaret could possibly be one of the only financial hits on Broadway this season (another good guess is Merrily We Roll Along based on its star power alone, but Back to the Future is also SUPER expensive to run and I have no clue how long it will end up lasting). Based on London buzz alone, this is the kind of production the Tonys fall head over heels for. It may just tie/surpass Sher's South Pacific for the most Tony wins for a musical revival. What stars will the show recruit after Redmayne's six-month contract ends?

2) It's hard to see how this won't end up touring after all the inevitable wins. It will be interesting to see how much the immersive set will be scaled back (if at all) for each city. Will the pre-show be kept or scrapped?

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 9/21/23 at 01:30 AM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#139CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 3:24am

this will be no where near South Pacific level success.  Cabaret is done all the time, this is a less good version of the Sam Mendes production that we've all known and loved on Broadway.  They will also have lots of competition from the array of new musicals this season.  and who gives a crap about redmayne? 

lopside
#140CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 4:14am

Broadway Flash, you were the person in love with Bad Cinderella, don't think your opinion counts for much

JasonC3
#141CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 6:25am

One could posit that the immersive nature of this production makes it quite easy to see how this might not end up touring at all.  I think it is too early to accurately predict with certainty much of anything about how this will be received on Broadway or anything that might flow from that.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#142CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/21/23 at 7:22am

I think we’ve learned and seen if this is a huge success they’ll squeeze any and every dollar from it.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#143CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 10/5/23 at 5:30pm

Take a look at Gayle Rankin’s IG. She is absolutely in NY doing something Cabaret related. Green finger nails post, and another another in a rehearsal room. I’m willing to bet Gayle is working with Julia Cheng on some of the choreography. 

Just sayin’.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#144CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 10/5/23 at 6:43pm

Maybe prepping for a filmed announcement of some kind?

Owen22
#145CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 10/6/23 at 4:22am

JasonC3 said: "One could posit that the immersive nature of this production makes it quite easy to see how this might not end up touring at all. I think it is too early to accurately predict with certainty much of anything about how this will be received on Broadway or anything that might flow from that."

It is not THAT immersive.  Not Bridge Theatre Guys and Dolls or Bway Here Lies Love immersive. It could reconstruct and tour.

yahyahyah
#146CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 10/6/23 at 8:49am

This is right. I don’t think this show even is immersive. 

The pre-show cast is an entirely separate cast. They contort above the lobby bar, strum an instrument perhaps. 

The show is performed in the round. Which doesn’t mean immersive—it’s not. The Mendes production using cabaret tables for the front seating is just as immersive as this one. 

And the Mendes production is far superior in direction and execution. I didn’t get that this production had anything new to add. But I appreciated the re-energized approach to the costumes. 

JasonC3
#147CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 10/6/23 at 9:17am

By immersive, I was referencing the entire experience and how the space had been renovated to accommodate it, not just the show.  Glad others feels this might tour adequately.

lopside
#148CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 10/6/23 at 10:04am

This production is not going to tour, no matter what you think about its degree of immersiveness.

Ensemble1696584123
#149CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 10/6/23 at 10:26am

jkcohen626 said: "Maybe prepping for a filmed announcement of some kind?"

They already filmed what seemed like a pretty big promo thing last month. The guy who is doing the video stuff over at Lloyd´s Sunset does all promo-y stuff for ATG so have been following him a while. He did some stuff for Merrily after that and that seems to already have aired, so no sure what the hangup for this is. Maybe they want to announce closer to ticket sale and don't have seating arrangement finalized. 

Videos