News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??- Page 3

Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#50re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:17am

Having just seen "The Light in the Piazza" again, I must say that Say it Somehow is absolutely beautiful, simply and yet stunningly staged...

Everything's Coming Up Roses from "Gypsy" is hair raising. You're concerned for Louise. More so now than ever...

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#51re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:21am

The Secret Garden
Dreamgirls
Piazza

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#52re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:36am

and i am telling you...
a little priest
defying gravity
la vie boheme
what is it about her
i am what i am

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

bwayrunner22 Profile Photo
bwayrunner22
#53re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:50am

Gotta say, One Day More gives me chills everytime I hear it; but I love Defying Gravity.

I don't know if this counts, I've never seen La Cage but I've heard I am what I am and I don't see how that couldn't be one of the best. Just my thought though. I've heard a lot of songs and that one is one of my favorites.

MusicalDirector109
#54re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:51am

"Anything Goes" all that tap thrills me!!
"And I Am Telling You...." - "Dreamgirls" - truly stunning!!!
all of Jerry Herman's stuff

loganp37 Profile Photo
loganp37
#55re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:34am

"I'd Give My Life for You" from Miss Saigon.

worrell4077
#56re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:39am

"Run Away"-SpamAlot
"The Miracle"-Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
"Can't Help Falling in Love"-All Shook Up
"Along Came Bially"-The Producers
"There's a Fine, Fine, Line"-Avenue Q
"Astonishing"-Little Women
"Act One Finale"-LSOH/Urinetown
"Not the Boy Next Door"-The Boy From Oz
"The Frogs"-The Frogs
"Defying Gravity"-Wicked

Sant
#57re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:42pm

Defying Gravity - WICKED

Til We Reach That Day - RAGTIME

If I Can't Love Her - BEAUTY & THE BEAST

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#58re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:49pm

One Day More and Defying Gravity are my favourites.

jera

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

Emcee4ever
#59re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 2:51pm

Cabaret! Scariest Finale EVER!

(For Act 1 and Act 2!)

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#60re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:07pm

Defying Gravity. The first time I saw Wicked I was front row center and after Idina hit the last note and the curtain dropped I said "holy S*#T." I was covered in goose bumps.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#61re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:09pm

Les Miserables and Urinetown

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#62re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:20pm

Wicked.

Gypsy.

Fiddler- so dramatic.

Sweet Charity - its hysterical

so many more.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#63re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:20pm

Wicked.

Gypsy.

Fiddler- so dramatic.

Sweet Charity - its hysterical

so many more.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#64re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:28pm

Aside from those mentioned, I'll add "You're Nothing Without Me" from City of Angels.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#65re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:31pm

the first thing that springs to mind is Weekend in the Country from A Little Night Music.

Mind is Mantra.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#66re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:32pm

I hate to be cliche, but Defying Gravity is really spectacular. Even when I know all the special effects.

suddenlyseymour Profile Photo
suddenlyseymour
#67re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:36pm

Astonishing, Defying Gravity, Jimmy, There's a Fine Fine Line, I'm the Bravest Individual

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#68re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:41pm

#3 Sunday in the Park with George - "Sunday"
#2 Sweeney Todd - "A Little Priest"

and #1 Dreamgirls - "And I'm Telling You..."

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#69re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:48pm

"A Weekend In The Country" from A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#70re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 5:28pm

bwayrunner22 wrote:
I don't know if this counts, I've never seen La Cage but I've heard I am what I am and I don't see how that couldn't be one of the best. Just my thought though. I've heard a lot of songs and that one is one of my favorites.

'I Am What I Am' is staged very dramatically. Albin has just been told by Georges that he is not welcome at the dinner to meet his future in-laws. He pushed Georges aside, telling him "Excuse me, I have a show to do" and walks onstage. The Cagelles start the 'We Are What We Are' number and Albin stops them and quietly asks them to leave the stage. He then sings 'I Am What I Am', softly at first, then stonger as the anger and hurt builds within him. By the end of the number, he is practically spitting out the words. He finishes the number, pulls off his wig, throws it at Georges (who has been watching from the wings), walks down off the stage and marches up the aisle out the back of the theatre. It never fails to move me to tears. Maybe it's because I am a middle-aged gay man that I can relate to having attended family functions alone because my partner was not welcome, or watching co-workers bring spouses and children to company events and not being asked to bring my lover that this number has special meaning for me. For the past 15 or so years, I have decided to make my gayness known to everyone I know (and most of that was met with a gigantic yawn). But if you're 15 or 50, coming out is not an easy thing to do which is why 'I Am What I Am', written by an out and proud gay composer/lyricist is such a powerful number for me. Sorry to prattle on, but you asked re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#71re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 5:39pm

Let's not forget "The Hookers Ball" from THE LIFE! re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Beergoggles
#72re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 5:49pm

I'd Give My Life For You- Saigon

Leaving for the ball- My Fair Lady

One Day More- Les Mis

Phantom- Just dead shocking when you don't relaise where he is lol

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#73re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 8:29pm

re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??

Theaterlover2 Profile Photo
Theaterlover2
#74re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 8:34pm

Oh..Say it Somehow for the Light in the Piazza brings tears to my eyes, it's just so beautiful.
as does Les Miserables.
and I think the most fun I've had at the end of an act is at RENT. La Vie Boheme just pumps me up.

This is wanting something This is reaching for it This is wishing that a moment would arrive- LITP everybody goes down well with beer!-sweeney Todd Listen to the stories Hear it in the songs Angry men don't write the rules and guns don't right the wrongs!-Assassins

Videos