News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 17

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

Ke3
#400Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:44pm

Sutton Ross said: "People under 50 knowing of the show does not mean they will be a significant part of the ticket-buying audience. And that's also different from audience appeal. The young people who like Newsies and Beetlejuice are too young to have an attachment to either original property.

That's a great point. Also, Newsies had a 95% male cast of young, visually appealingmen for fan girls/boys to look at. Beetlejuice was really successful because they leaned into their socials after their Tony performance and were doing TikTok stuff on a daily basis so thatreally helped its numbers, in my opinion.

"

I don't see this developing a fanbase. It may however build one around Beanie which might be reason enough for her to do it.

SouthernCakes
#401Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:59pm

I have no qualms about Beanie but I’m unsure of the vocals. I don’t want a Lenk situation. Where you want to root for them but the vocals just aren’t what they should be for a major musical.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#402Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:00pm

Funny Girl is a tough sell. As others have said, it has problems and needs a solid star to dazzle and distract from the rough patches. I’m sure Beanie earned everyone’s seal of approval but I’m not convinced she’ll put butts and more importantly pandemic butts in the seats. Regardless of the performance she gives.

By the time this opens Glee will have been off the air for 7 years. I’m not sure younger people who watched that show even care anymore.

Theatre nerds don’t sell tickets and they don’t pack houses. They count for an initial rush of discounted sales. They get in on discounts, look for freebies and do TKTS. As hardcore as they are, they don’t equate success for a show. A show needs the general public to be interested and be willing to pay top dollar.

I don’t see that happening here.

If they truly gave Nicky to Ramin over Oscar they are morons.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Theatrefanboy1
#403Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:05pm

Well then. It’s clear that this will not be the “event “ that many hoped for. I honestly can only see this closing to a large financial loss. Music man at this point will take home best revival and this revival will likely rank along side the last guys and dolls revival. Sorry but I have not interest. Which sucks because I’ve looked forward to a revival for almost two decades

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#404Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:40pm

Awful casting. She's the right type for the role if it were a straight play, but there's absolutely no way she can sing this role.

The Lenk comparison makes no sense. Bobby has never been a role for an incredible singer. It's always been a role for an actor with a good voice.

Fanny is a role for an extremely strong singer. People go see Funny Girl for the music and they want to hear it sung well. This production is doomed from the start.

gibsons2
#405Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 11:59pm

Lea Michelle is getting lots of hate on social media over not being cast for the FG. Reminds me of really toxic media campaigns against closure of Beetlejuice and Amar's casting at WSS. If there was a bit of a curiosity to see the show, it's gone now.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#406Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 12:06am

The people complaining won’t be buying tickets anyway. If they were, Beetlejuice would be on its 10th sold out year

SouthernCakes
#407Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 12:22am

Georgeanddot2 said: "Awful casting. She's the right type for the role if it were a straight play, but there's absolutely no way she can sing this role.

The Lenk comparison makes no sense. Bobby has never been a role for an incredible singer. It's always been a role for an actor with a good voice.

Fanny is a role for an extremely strong singer. People go see Funny Girl for the music and they want to hear it sung well. This production is doomed from the start.
"

no…. The Doyle revival had a singer AND an actor. You can have bot. It’s 2021. Musical theater is different. People should be able to do both. There’s enough talent out there. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#408Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 1:33am

They will cast a big pop star.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#409Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 6:33am

Not sure if someone has posted but there is actually a video of her singing “Meadowlark” on YouTube from a while back. A little unpolished but I think based on this she will be able to get through the Funny Girl score without embarrassment. It is clear though to me the strength of the performance will not likely be based on the vocal performance though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O_s_y5xpapU

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JennH
#410Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 8:34am

Highland Guy said: "bwaydreamer said: "You can't go from cutesy singing to learning how to belt higher than you ever have."

Kinda like this?

"

The difference is that Gaga ALWAYS had that voice but it was hidden away for longer than it should have been, thanks to an industry/industry powers that prioritize tweeny bopper music and cookie cutter vocal affects over actual artistry and skill. I honestly have no clue as to Beanie's skills....TBH, I'd never heard of her until this thread, so I can't say much about that but saying Gaga learned this over time is quite dishonest. when she was always a powerhouse. 

EDIT- Don't know why the video link doesn't show up here, but I digress. 

Updated On: 8/12/21 at 08:34 AM

JennH
#411Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 8:42am

gibsons2 said: " Lea Michelle is getting lots of hate on social media over not being cast for the FG. Reminds me of really toxic media campaigns against closure of Beetlejuice and Amar's casting at WSS. If there was a bit of a curiosity to see the show, it's gone now."

That's...weird. Getting hate for something she has basically no, if not none at all, control over? Not that I'd want to see her in this anyway, she's not funny in any way, but as I said before, thanks to Glee this is too safe/obvious of a choice. Not that I'd want to reward her after revelations of past behavior, so she shot herself in the foot with that and now she's reaping what she has sown. Her career seems pretty much done. And...yeah, I'm sorry Amar should never have been in WSS to begin with. Again, I don't want toxic and damaging behavior rewarded. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#412Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 9:54am

Gaga has stated countless times her dream was always to be a pop star. First-and-foremost, that was her career goal. She loves writing and performing pop songs. Also, her kooky and outlandish outfits were/are fully intended as an homage to those glorious glam-rock and flashy performers of the 70s like Cher, David Bowie to Elton John. All of this was calculated and part of her guided direction to establish her Lady Gaga persona.

As many in the industry were very well aware, she was a classically trained musician and owned an incredible voice. They stood back and just waited until she herself was ready to make that proper transition. This is why she has been embraced by the music and entertainment industry as much as she has. Even before she chose to make her film debut, she was already being invited to perform at the Oscars. Her work with Tony Bennett took her work to another career level. She is a highly respected artist today and no one is surprised with the journey her career has taken her. The talent was always there. She needed to do other work and chose to slowly pick the right projects.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#413Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 10:49am

may i remind everyone that when Barbra started Funny Girl on Broadway, she wasn't the star she would become...yes she had a voice, but she hadn't really proved herself in a leading role...this holds true for Beanie...this is a star making role, so one does not have to be a star to inhabit it...one becomes a star doing it...the stage is set for Beanie, so we shall see what happens...break a leg Beanie!!

Owen22
#414Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 10:49am

JennH said: "gibsons2 said: " Lea Michelle is getting lots of hate on social media over not being cast for the FG. Reminds me of really toxic media campaigns against closure of Beetlejuice and Amar's casting at WSS. If there was a bit of a curiosity to see the show, it's gone now."

That's...weird. Getting hate for something she has basically no, if not none at all, control over? Not that I'd want to see her in this anyway, she's not funny in any way, but as I said before, thanks to Glee this is too safe/obvious of a choice. Not that I'd want to reward her after revelations of past behavior, so she shot herself in the foot with that and now she's reaping what she has sown. Hercareer seems pretty much done.And...yeah,I'm sorry Amar should never have been in WSS to begin with. Again, I don't want toxic and damaging behavior rewarded.
"

I beg to differ. Whatever else one has to say about the Lea, she was always an expert comedian with an amazing singing voice. We can now completely agree that she seems to be a sociopathic monster, but that has nothing to do with the extremes of her talent.

Updated On: 8/12/21 at 10:49 AM

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#415Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:12am

SouthernCakes said: "Georgeanddot2 said: "no…. The Doyle revival had a singer AND an actor. You can have bot. It’s 2021. Musical theater is different. People should be able to do both. There’s enough talent out there."

Exactly and that's why Lenk is perfect casting.

Anyways, there's no way Beanie can sing this role. She has a nice voice, but not strong enough to sing that score and the score is what people come to see Funny Girl for.  Another example of how having a wealthy, well-connected family can get you far in this industry.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#416Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:14am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Gaga has stated countless times her dream was always to be a pop star. First-and-foremost, that was her career.

Not true. She has said she wanted to be an actress first but was too nervous in auditions so gave up on that and became a musician instead. 

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a867195/lady-gaga-gave-up-acting-career-became-singer-terrible-auditions/

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"
Updated On: 8/12/21 at 11:14 AM

SouthernCakes
#417Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:18am

Georgeanddot2 said: "SouthernCakes said: "Georgeanddot2 said: "no…. The Doyle revival had a singer AND an actor. You can have bot. It’s 2021. Musical theater is different. People should be able to do both. There’s enough talent out there."

Exactly and that's why Lenk is perfect casting.

Anyways, there's no way Beanie can sing this role. She has a nice voice, but not strong enough to sing that score and the score is what people come to see Funny Girl for. Another example of how having a wealthy, well-connected family can get you far in this industry.

"

To each their own! I thought she was fantastic in the book scenes but the vocals were lacking and could feel her voice straining. I’m hoping after a year off they’ve either lowered the keys or she’s learned how to navigate the songs. But otherwise it’s a fantastic production. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#418Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:21am

Owen22 said: "I beg to differ. Whatever else one has to say about the Lea, she was always an expert comedian with an amazing singing voice. We can now completely agree that she seems tobe a sociopathic monster, but that has nothing to do with theextremes of her talent."

I certainly do not agree that she is a sociopathic monster.  What a nasty blanket statement.

Non sibi sed patriae

Alexander Lamar
#419Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:22am

I’m sorry….Lea is getting hate for NOT being cast?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#420Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:25am

I admit, I'm not sure how I feel about this casting - but I hope she and the rest of the cast knock it out of the park. 

I suspect I will see this in the spring, but I suppose that depends on how often I go to the city (based on Covid.)  I've got 2 trips planned for now (Oct and Feb) and am not sure if I'll plan more.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#421Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:29am

Highland Guy said: "Owen22 said: "I beg to differ. Whatever else one has to say about the Lea, she was always an expert comedian with an amazing singing voice. We can now completely agree that she seems tobe a sociopathic monster, but that has nothing to do with theextremes of her talent."

I certainly do not agree that she is a sociopathic monster. What a nasty blanket statement.

It’s not a blanket statement.  Do a Google search and you’ll find lots of media coverage of many speaking up about their experiences working with her and the toxic environment she created on her projects, including post-Ryan Murphy projects.  Even Murphy has distanced himself from her and she’s no longer on his projects lists. He also let the rights to FUNNY GIRL expire as he no longer has any intentions of producing it in any capacity.  He originally purchased the rights with intentions of it being a Broadway vehicle for Lea.  Lea off his list, bye-bye FUNNY GIRL.  

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#422Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:49am

Alexander Lamar said: "I’m sorry….Lea is getting hate for NOT being cast?"

Yeah, it's really gross on Twitter. She doesn't deserve to be wished death upon her and all these horrible things Im reading. She is a new Mother trying to better herself, and harassing her it not necessary for something she literally has nothing to do with. However, due to her extremely abhorrent behavior towards others in a professional setting, it seems no one in the industry wants to work with her. Both things can be true.

She would have been a great Fanny, she has the vocals but in my opinion is now regarded as toxic in the entertainment industry which is 100% her fault. 

Updated On: 8/12/21 at 11:49 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#423Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 11:49am

Alexander Lamar said: "I’m sorry….Lea is getting hate for NOT being cast?"

What's happening is that it's become a running joke on Twitter that Lea Michele must be furious about a Broadway revival of Funny Girl happening without her. It's "hate" in the sense that people are making fun of her volatile tendencies, and delighting in the fact that this dream of hers hasn't been fulfilled. Updated On: 8/12/21 at 11:49 AM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#424Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/12/21 at 12:13pm

Second message that was deleted. Lots of controlling the narrative going on here today.

Videos