News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Funny Girl 2022 Revival- Page 16

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#375Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:09pm

Ke3

It's not an assertion, it's a fact, you only have to look at the audience of the recent UK production. Of course some younger people, the up and coming theatre nerds (I use that term affectionately) who probably watched Glee will know the show, at least a song from it, but that audience, the younger audience will be the minority. This is a show that older theatre goers will be excited about.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#376Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:11pm

bwaydreamer said: "You can't go from cutesy singing to learning how to belt higher than you ever have."

Kinda like this?

Non sibi sed patriae

SoCalDirector
#377Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:15pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "I think everyone involved in this show knows the risk of casting Beanie Feldstein. The Streisand comparison has already begun. They wouldn't have picked her if they didn't believe she couldbring it. She will deliver. I imagine she's already working on the songs. I have high hopes."

Exactly. I'm sure they auditioned her thoroughly and had her sing if not the whole score a lot of the more difficult key songs. Would they have cast her if they didn't think she could do it? I don't think so. I for one am fine to wait to the shop opens and go see it before I decide what it's going to be like. So tired of the negative Nancys on this board.

Miles Robert Mills

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#378Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:19pm

dramamama611 said: "massofmen said: "This thing is gonna close before it opens.
No one sees revivals unless a massive global star is in the lead role (beanie is not even close to that) or if it's produced at lincoln center with a massive subscription base to keep it going.

Oh, I don't know - both Hair and Pippin seemed to have decent runs (for revivals) without those things.

"

It's not exactly shocking that shows that weren't star vehicles can be revived successfully without stars.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#379Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:21pm

Ke3 said: "The assertion that nobody under 50 or into musical theatre knows Funny Girl is simply incorrect. For better or for worse, Ryan Murphy introduced the show to an entire generation. Funny Girl is one of the only musicals that is mentioned by name on Glee multiple times. They even did a half a season arc of Rachel's character getting the lead in a revival. Glee was one of the most popular shows of the '00s, and Ryan made Funny Girl (and Babs) a huge part of its imagery. Just looking on Twitter at how far this announcement has gone outside of theatre circles shows that Funny Girl is far more well known than people think.

Now, will any of this translate into ticket sales? I don't want to say no because the theatre is unpredictable, but I doubt it. People my age (21) aren't high on any broadway demographic polls.
"

Ryan Murphy introduced people to one song, not to Funny Girl, nor did that one song lead to an all-times ratings upswing for viewings of Funny Girl on Netflix or sales of Funny Girl on DVD/Blu-ray.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#380Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:31pm

Thinking of Glee, I wonder if the producers considered getting Lea Michele as Fanny?
Regardless, am very happy for Beanie!

JSquared2
#381Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:36pm

Wick3 said: "Thinking of Glee, I wonder if the producers considered getting Lea Michele as Fanny?
"

Nahh -- you're the first person to ever come up with the idea of Lea Michele for Funny Girl.

nasty_khakis
#382Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 6:36pm

Wick3 said: "Thinking of Glee, I wonder if the producers considered getting Lea Michele as Fanny?
"

Ryan Murphy tried for years to make it actually happen so I'm guessing nobody wanted to actually PAY for that production.

Ke3
#383Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:15pm

joevitus said: "Ke3 said: "The assertion that nobody under 50 or into musical theatre knows Funny Girl is simply incorrect. For better or for worse, Ryan Murphy introduced the show to an entire generation. Funny Girl is one of the only musicals that is mentioned by name on Glee multiple times. They even did a half a season arc of Rachel's character getting the lead in a revival. Glee was one of the most popular shows of the '00s, and Ryan made Funny Girl (and Babs) a huge part of its imagery. Just looking on Twitter at how far this announcement has gone outside of theatre circles shows that Funny Girl is far more well known than people think.

Now, will any of this translate into ticket sales? I don't want to say no because the theatre is unpredictable, but I doubt it. People my age (21) aren't high on any broadway demographic polls.
"

Ryan Murphy introduced people to one song, not to Funny Girl, nor did that one song lead to an all-times ratings upswing for viewings of Funny Girl on Netflix or sales of Funny Girl on DVD/Blu-ray.

"

Off the top of my head, they performed "Don't Rain On My Parade," "You Are Woman, I Am Man," "I'm The Greatest Star," and "People". Plus, "Funny Girl" and "My Man" from the film. That's more than one song, and even if they'd only done one song, having your main character star in an in-universe revival of the show certainly qualifies as introducing a show to a new generation. The question was not if Funny Girl was selling DVDs or if people knowing the name Funny Girl would help sell tickets. I already said I didn't think it would. The assertion that people under 50 don't know Funny Girl is still flatly incorrect when one of the biggest teen dramas of the last 20 years used it as a consistent touchpoint for its main character. 

VintageSnarker
#384Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:18pm

"Ke3 said: "The assertion that nobody under 50 or into musical theatre knows Funny Girl is simply incorrect. For better or for worse, Ryan Murphy introduced the show to an entire generation. 

joevitus said: Ryan Murphy introduced people to one song, not to Funny Girl"

That's just false. Lea sang Don't Rain on My Parade and My Man. Idina sang Funny Girl. And I know they at least did I'm The Greatest Star and You Are Woman when Rachel was supposed to be in the show on Broadway. 

I think they're two separate issues though. People under 50 knowing of the show does not mean they will be a significant part of the ticket-buying audience. And that's also different from audience appeal. The young people who like Newsies and Beetlejuice are too young to have an attachment to either original property. If we're just talking revivals, you could make the same argument about how much the general public knows Carousel or West Side Story.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#385Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:43pm

SouthernCakes said: "Agreed! This one just happens to be a star vehicle hence all the criticisms. If her “don’t rain on my parade” doesn’t bring down the house then what’s the point?

Honestly it’s much inline with the lead in Company. The vocals just weren’t there and therefore a lot of the moments felt “eh” for me. So I hope this isnt like that. (Although the production as a whole is incredible)
"

I actually thought the same about Katrina Lenk? When she performed at the Olivier Awards, her vocals seemed very weak. Not sure if her vocals were just off that day?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#386Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:45pm

People under 50 knowing of the show does not mean they will be a significant part of the ticket-buying audience. And that's also different from audience appeal. The young people who like Newsies and Beetlejuice are too young to have an attachment to either original property.

That's a great point. Also, Newsies had a 95% male cast of young, visually appealing men for fan girls/boys to look at. Beetlejuice was really successful because they leaned into their socials after their Tony performance and were doing TikTok stuff on a daily basis so that really helped its numbers, in my opinion.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#387Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:47pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "SouthernCakes said: "Agreed! This one just happens to be a star vehicle hence all the criticisms. If her “don’t rain on my parade” doesn’t bring down the house then what’s the point?

Honestly it’s much inline with the lead in Company. The vocals just weren’t there and therefore a lot of the moments felt “eh” for me. So I hope this isnt like that. (Although the production as a whole is incredible)
"

I actually thought the same about Katrina Lenk? When she performed at the Olivier Awards, her vocals seemed very weak. Not sure if her vocals were just off that day”

… When did Katrina Lenk ever perform at the Olivier Awards?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#388Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:50pm

She never did. Rosalie did and she was slightly off that evening. 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#389Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 7:53pm

Ah nevermind! It was Rosalie Craig!

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#390Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 8:24pm

According to social media (again), Oscar Isaac was in the running for Funny Girl but now it's officially* (basically confirmed I guess) Ramin? 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#391Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 9:05pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "According to social media (again),"

Specifically, the deuxmoi instagram account in their story tonight, for anyone curious.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#392Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 9:26pm

Oscar Isaac as Nicki would be A+ casting, and would give them that boost in star-power that many people in this thread are predicting is needed. They "considered" a movie star and went with Ramin? No way. It must be that Isaac turned it down or wasn't available. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#393Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 9:41pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "According to social media (again), Oscar Isaac was in the running for Funny Girl but now it's officially* (basically confirmed I guess) Ramin?"

The person whose name here is literally "beanie feldstein is fanny" and registered here just to tell everyone that she would be Fanny before the ~rumor took off and was revealed to be true, said it's Ramin and going into the August Wilson. I see no reason to doubt their statement.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#394Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 9:48pm

veronicamae said: "Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "According to social media (again), Oscar Isaac was in the running for Funny Girl but now it's officially* (basically confirmed I guess) Ramin?"

The person whose name here is literally "beanie feldstein is fanny" and registered here just to telleveryone that she would be Fanny before the ~rumor took off and was revealed to be true, said it's Ramin and going into the August Wilson. I see no reason to doubt their statement.
"

They did say that it's going into the August Wilson, and that, to their knowledge, it's not Ramin, but they weren't willing to bet on that like they did with Beanie.

veronicamae
#395Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 9:50pm

^^ Did they post later in these 16 pages that they aren't 100% sure about Ramin anymore? Their original post (I see their username has changed...) says: "Beanie is Fanny. Ramin Karimloo is Nicky."

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#396Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 9:50pm

veronicamae said: "^^ Did they post later in these 16 pages that they aren't 100% sure about Ramin anymore? Their original post (I see their username has changed...) says: "Beanie is Fanny. Ramin Karimloo is Nicky.""

Post #323

veronicamae
#397Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 9:53pm

LOL now that one's name IS "beanie is..." are wickedwhatever and beanie is different people?

I give up I can't keep up anymore. I'm TIRED.

Appreciate the pointing to the post nonetheless!

Dolly80
#398Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:27pm

This isn’t a great show. The book is and has always been clunky. Some of the songs are great, but really what’s elevated it in everyone’s minds is Barbras portrayal. Anyone taking on the memory of that is very brave.

I’m just glad it’s not Lea Michele There’s karma right there.

Now if it’s also Ramin, can they make sure Nick takes his top off please. Updated On: 8/11/21 at 10:27 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#399Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/11/21 at 10:43pm

We all knew Lea Michele would never get to do this. Her fictional revival on TV was the closest she'll get. At least she had that. She sounds like a nightmare to work with. Whereas Beanie sounds like a total joy behind the scenes. I'd take a nice person who can deliver a great performance over a monster behind the scenes who can hit a few high notes.

For what it's worth: Lea's renditions of all the songs from Funny Girl that were on Glee were pretty great. "My Man" is pretty spectacular on the show.

Videos