News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 24

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
Posted: 8/26/18 at 7:56am

I'd respond to you After Eight, but I've decided to no longer feed the trolls.

Zamedy154
Posted: 8/26/18 at 8:21am

Someone at the stage door said Julianne Moore was there as well.

I did see Bette wipe away tears during Parade. The first time I saw the show was in previews, so it’s anazing to see how she has emotionally evolved her Parade monologue, and how a slight change in the delivery of a word or phrase can be so powerful. Last night, she seemed to deliver it a half beat faster than last time I saw her, but it was by far the most ‘emotional.’ You felt her really missing her late husband and the true love they shared.

Max Clayton is in the cast of Moulin Rouge but posted on social media that they allowed him to return for the final week. I’ve always been drawn to him and the adorable actor who shouts ‘Rudyyyyyy!’ and understudies Barnaby (I apologize I don’t have my Playbill in front of me), so it was great to see them. I think they’re among only three or four waiters from the OBC?

I also noticed Kate Baldwin peeking through the side of the curtain during Bette and DHP’s Harmonia Garden scene at the hight of the laughter. Sincere and magical.

I did miss Taylor’s Barnaby (he’s a stronger actor IMO and he and Gavin had incredible chemistry)... but Charlie’s charm fills the theatre. I could watch him dance (and do things shirtless) all day long.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
Posted: 8/26/18 at 8:54am

Zamedy154 said: "I did miss Taylor’s Barnaby (he’s a stronger actor IMO and he and Gavin had incredible chemistry)... but Charlie’s charm fills the theatre. I could watch him dance (and do things shirtless) all day long."

I know what you mean. I also miss Beanie!!! One of my favorite moments of Beanie as Minnie Fay was during "Dancing" when she nervously starts that tap dance segment with the ensemble near the end of the song (Barnaby does it now instead of Minnie.)

Regardless, I've grown to love Molly and Charlie and so glad they were in this revival!!! I'm still giddy this morning!!! I wish I can see it again! 

And yes I saw Julianne Moore in the orchestra.

BTW, I didn't wait after at stage door but did Bette Midler come out?

LxGstv
Posted: 8/26/18 at 12:35pm

Updated On: 8/26/18 at 12:35 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Posted: 8/26/18 at 12:38pm

God I miss this show so much already. I got to the show seven times (Donna and Bernadette I saw two times each and Bette I saw three times). This show will forever be on the best things I have ever seen. Absolutely joyous from beginning to end. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Posted: 8/26/18 at 12:54pm

Dollypop said: "A whole segment of my life is over--from the 17 year old boy who saw the show with his mother in 1964 to the 71 year old man who was there at tonight's closing. It was 94 performances and incredible amounts of love.
"

@Dollypop I am glad you have those memories to look back on with you and your mother. 

My mother also saw the original production in 1964. When I took her a couple of weeks ago see so enjoyed it I decided I wanted to surprise her with tickets to the final. I didn't want to give her too much notice so told her Friday night. She was very happy and had been saying since she saw it a couple of weeks ago she felt happier and has been playing the music ever since. 

I know you must have thought of your mother last night and wished she was there as well. And for all we know she might have been. :) This is why everyday I still have with mine is special.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Dollypop
Posted: 8/26/18 at 12:58pm

What beautiful thoughts, Huss!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
Posted: 8/26/18 at 12:58pm

Here's a great photo of the entire cast backstage:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm8oEP1BiLB/?tagged=hellodolly

Jarethan
Posted: 8/26/18 at 12:59pm

Stage Door Sally said: "I'd respond to you After Eight, but I've decided to no longer feed the trolls."

Must be an age thing...I agree with After Eight.  In the old days, audiences would applaud till their hands hurt, but stay in their seats; not anymore.  Between the jumping up for just about every curtain call of every show) and 'whooping' like they are at a football game, I find the I do not enjoy curtain calls as much as I once did.  My hands never hurt...there is no pint to applaud more than politely, since the whoops are going to drown it out anyway.  Call me a curmudgeon, but I enjoyed shows more when SO's were few and far between, but my hands hurt ike hell when I loved a show)..

(I have to admit that there are times when exceptions are okay...closing night of a great production that should have run much longer would be one of those, but standing for half the title number...that to me is overkill.  Stand as long as you want after the title number, but not during.  It distracts from what is happening on stage IMO.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Posted: 8/26/18 at 1:30pm

Random observation: Gavin's hair in this production added so much to his characterization. He used it like a prop. The way it moved, the way it fell on his face, and the way he would push it to the side really helped to communicate Cornelius' innocence, in my opinion.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
Posted: 8/26/18 at 1:40pm

Good point. Gavin was damn cute!

Updated On: 8/26/18 at 01:40 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
Posted: 8/26/18 at 2:10pm

CT2NYC said: "Random observation: Gavin's hair in this production added so much to his characterization. He used it like a prop. The way it moved, the way it fell on his face, and the way he would push it to the side really helped to communicate Cornelius' innocence, in my opinion."

Your obsessing .  But who can blame you.  Now put your darn face back in your avatar so we can both obsess .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Posted: 8/26/18 at 2:33pm

DAME said: "CT2NYC said: "Random observation: Gavin's hair in this production added so much to his characterization. He used it like a prop. The way it moved, the way it fell on his face, and the way he would push it to the side really helped to communicate Cornelius' innocence, in my opinion."

Your obsessing . But who can blame you. Now put your darn face back in your avatar so we can both obsess .
"

Behave!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Posted: 8/26/18 at 2:38pm

I uploaded my video of the curtain call to YouTube. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgDslT9mAPc

imklepcyk
Posted: 8/26/18 at 2:51pm

Great video! This show is very special to me because it was my first show in New York, I live Houston TX and I see all the national tours, but it was probably one of the best things I've seen in my life. I am so glad that I was able to see it. I saw Bernadette Peters and WOW! She was stellar. She really was Dolly! Sad to see it go, but all good things must come to an end. Hopefully I'll catch it on tour!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Posted: 8/26/18 at 3:39pm

I don't see Kate or Molly in the onstage cast photo. 

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

bfreak
Posted: 8/26/18 at 3:59pm

I also don't spot David Hyde Pierce. They all make their entrances later than the first scene, this was probably an impromptu places call at the top of the show.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
Posted: 8/26/18 at 4:09pm

Ct2nyc; You are so right about Mr. Creel’s hair! Last night,in particular, it took on a life of its own!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Posted: 8/26/18 at 6:12pm

I thought the swings would have been incorporated in at least one of the numbers last night, or at least brought out during the end.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Dollypop
Posted: 8/26/18 at 6:44pm

I recall that when the original production closed (Dec 27, 1969), Gower Champion danced in the chorus.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

mufish
Posted: 8/26/18 at 7:07pm

I don't have a ton to offer that hasn't already been said about last night, but it was very cool being at a closing night.  The standing was excessive at times (and being in the mezz made it worse for viewing during those moments) but at the same time I'm willing to grant a little leeway given it was the final performance of what has been a very well received production.  It was my second time seeing the show, the first having been last October on a whim - had last night been my first time I would've been more annoyed by all the histrionics.  Along that line, I'm fairly certain the ladies next to me had no clue it was closing night.  At one point I heard one ask the other if it was someone's last show and that's why everyone was going crazy - I just left it be.  All that said, the show didn't run nearly as long as I thought it might.

I didn't see Taylor Trensch as Barnaby (my Playbill isn't handy, but I'm pretty sure a new swing was on for the first time as Bette Midler pulled him forward during the curtain call) but I really enjoyed Charlie Stemp.  His dancing in particular was fantastic!

All in all it was great to revisit the show again as it really was a spectacle; not in a Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark kind of way, but an old school, feel-good, big production.

For those wondering about the stage door, as mentioned Bette didn't come out.  However, in terms of principles, David Hyde Pierce, Gavin Creel, Charlie Stemp, and Melanie Moore came out and worked their way down the entire barricade and I'm fairly certain anyone who wanted something signed got it.  Will Burton came out as well and did the densest part of the crowd between the stage door and 44th.  Taeler Cyrus and Carmen Ruby Floyd also signed for everyone, and I saw many others from the ensemble stop when asked, again between the door and 44th. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
Posted: 8/26/18 at 8:20pm

Kate Baldwin didn’t come out? That’s strange if so, she always seemed to enjoy the stage door.

Both times I went to the stage door, Charlie didn’t stay and sign, though he did wave. I have such a crush on him, I would have loved to be able to tell him how great he was in Dolly!

mufish
Posted: 8/26/18 at 8:41pm

n2nbaby said: "Kate Baldwin didn’t come out? That’s strange if so, she always seemed to enjoy the stage door.

Both times I went to the stage door, Charlie didn’t stay and sign, though he did wave. I have such a crush on him, I would have loved to be able to tell him how great he was in Dolly!
"

If she did, I didn't notice but she definitely didn’t do the part of the barricade I was near. I got the sense everyone was headed to a closing party, so that could’ve been why. 

Hard not to like Charlie! 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
Posted: 8/26/18 at 8:43pm

I saw Kate walking down 44th Street toward 8th wheeling a suitcase behind her after the show. She waved and smiled at the people who stopped and applauded for her   

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
Posted: 8/26/18 at 8:44pm

mufish said: "n2nbaby said: "Kate Baldwin didn’t come out? That’s strange if so, she always seemed to enjoy the stage door.

"

If she did, I didn't notice butshe definitely didn’t do the part of the barricade I was near. I got the sense everyone was headed to a closing party, so that could’ve been why.

Hard not to like Charlie!
"

There’s Instagram pics of the party.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Videos