News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 21

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

lesmizsaigon Profile Photo
lesmizsaigon
Posted: 8/22/18 at 1:41pm

Is it weird giving one of the cast members a closing night gift? How likely are they to do stage door for this final show? I just want to show my appreciation (to Gavin Creel specifically) and was thinking of just dropping a package or handing it to security to be delivered. Sorry, not really sure about gifting etiquette.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
Posted: 8/22/18 at 1:49pm

Row F Seat 113 and 114 are available on Telecharge for $229 each

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Posted: 8/22/18 at 4:15pm

Left balcony E 13 is available on Telecharge for Saturday night, $109.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
Posted: 8/24/18 at 12:19am

Hello Dolly! recouped with 5% returns:

http://broadwayjournal.com/lavish-dolly-earns-modest-returns/

Wow, an 850k nut per week? I can't believe the show was that expensive to run.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
Posted: 8/24/18 at 9:11am

Thanks Ivy, learned a lot from that!

So, it's the final countdown. I could barely sleep last night. Once again, I had my dreaded pre-Dolly nightmare. We arrive at the Shubert 30 seconds late and aren't allowed in and miss the show. I know what egged that on - Telecharge sent an email yesterday warning ticketholders not to be late. Message received TeleRudin.

I will be dancing to the theater tomorrow on a cloud of euphoria, tissues in my purse. This revival of my childhood favorite has been the Broadway experience of my lifetime. So glad to be sharing it with all of you.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
Posted: 8/24/18 at 9:25am

Tomorrow is the big day! 

I have a 6:10 am flight out of Chicago tomorrow. Send me good vibes that there are no delays. Can't wait to experience this closing night with many of you from this board. 

Zamedy154
Posted: 8/24/18 at 9:47am

Ditto. My one-hour flight leaves at 7:45 tomorrow morning. If they cancel it like they did the day I missed Bernadette's last show, I am getting in my car and driving the 7 hours. I will not miss this. I remember the day I booked my tickets for the closing show. August 25th seemed so far away. Now.. it's less than 24 hours away. Bittersweet, absolutely. But I truly can't wait to share in a magical night with so many people on this board who love this show, and Bette, as much as I do. 

LadyJane4
Posted: 8/24/18 at 11:02am

Hi everyone. 

I've been perusing these boards for a little while, but just made an account in order to express how excited I am to see the closing night performance tomorrow. 

This production was.....my first Broadway show. Tomorrow will be my third viewing and I'm already devastated that it will be the last. 

I can definitely say that seeing this show changed my life, and I'm probably going to cry through the entire show tomorrow. I'm a New Yorker and seeing that people are flying in for this show just makes me feel like I've found "my people" because my friends and family certainly don't understand how I could spend money on going three times. For me, I just know it will be such a special, once-in-a-lifetime experience that I feel so honored to be a part of. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
Posted: 8/24/18 at 11:08am

I still cannot believe this show is closing. At a time like this when we need so much joy.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ActorGuyIL
Posted: 8/24/18 at 11:09am

poisonivy2 said: "Hello Dolly! recouped with 5% returns:

"

Are the producers on this also the producers on the tour? Won't they make more money from that? Also, do the original creators keep getting their profits from the tour or get another lump payment?

WaffleOnWheels
Posted: 8/24/18 at 11:35am

I'm going to be at the matinee tomorrow and will probably weep through the whole show. Although I'm very excited for the energy in the theater. Even without it being the last day of the show, it sounds like the energy lately has been through the roof, and add onto that it being closing day, it will be electric. When I saw Bernadette, the energy was kind of meh, which was the only disappointing part about the show.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Posted: 8/24/18 at 12:05pm

In hindsight I wish I had purchased a ticket for tonight's performance as well.  I'll admit I'm a bit sad that this production is closing.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Posted: 8/24/18 at 3:38pm

Trying to ignore that I'm not going to Dolly this weekend, and then this arrives in the mail! So, looks like Bette signed my poster?! I know you never can tell with her, but will have to pretend she did, I guess, hehe.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
Posted: 8/24/18 at 3:53pm

Wish I could take advantage of it, but there some seats available on StubHub for <$200 if anyone is looking for a last minute ticket. Looks like some in every section of the theatre, including a few center Orchestra.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Posted: 8/24/18 at 4:15pm

If anyone is able to pick up a few extra playbills please PM me.

Dollypop
Posted: 8/24/18 at 5:23pm

For those interested in meeting up tomorrow, we'll meet in front of Sardi's at 6:15 and decide where we'll eat. Wear red.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 8/24/18 at 05:23 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Posted: 8/24/18 at 6:34pm

Haterobics, how did you get that??

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Posted: 8/24/18 at 8:14pm

For anyone interested, orchestra G 3 is available on Telecharge for tomorrow's matinee, $229.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 8/24/18 at 8:41pm

Once the final show has been performed Saturday night, and the curtain drops for the very last time, what’s the sequence of events that happens next with the props and backdrops for “Hello, Dolly!”? I remembered reading in another thread that the Harmonia Gardens set was to be used in the National Tour, so will this be part of a Shubert Theater load-out that takes place, if there is one? Since we’re also a month away from the Schenectady Previews, will this all transit ASAP to that theater for practices?

Helodfan
#519 Sad
Posted: 8/24/18 at 10:23pm

i saw it 4 times with Bette. Worth every penny to be a part of that greatness. I’m sitting here in tears tonight that I didn’t book a ticket for the finale. The show truly is on e in lifetime greatness. I’ll see the tour. But I’m worried I’ll be disappointed. Don’t cry because it’s over. Cry because it happened!

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#520 Sad
Posted: 8/25/18 at 12:03am

I would love to have something signed by Bette.  How much was the donation?  Maybe I can drop off an SASE at the stage door tomorrow?  Hmm....

BroadwayBeebe
#521 Sad
Posted: 8/25/18 at 12:15am

I can’t believe tonight has finally arrived. I can’t wait for the pure electricity in the room this evening and also for the immense sadness that comes with knowing I won’t be able to head over to the Shubert and witness the magic anymore. Looking forward to meeting several of you and enjoying the show tonight.

As an aside, Last June I sent a SASE with $50 and received a full original cast signed playbill including Midler. It’s one of my most prized possessions!

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#522 Sad
Posted: 8/25/18 at 2:26am

BroadwayBeebe said: "I can’t believe tonight has finally arrived. I can’t wait for the pure electricity in the room this evening and also for the immense sadness that comes with knowing I won’t be able to head over to the Shubert and witness the magic anymore. Looking forward to meeting several of you and enjoying the show tonight.

As an aside, Last June I sent a SASE with $50 and received a full original cast signed playbill including Midler. It’s one of my most prized possessions!
"

The price went way up towards the end of Bette's run. I seem to recall both $150 and $200 being floated when Bernadette was in the show ($150 was what it cost during Easter Bonnet, I remember, with window cards being $200). I can't imagine it went down when Bette came back--so you got very lucky!  Sad

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#523 Sad
Posted: 8/25/18 at 10:56am

poisonivy2 said: "Hello Dolly! recouped with 5% returns:

"

Well, now we know why it's closing. 850k? 

There are a tier of stars who could pull in Bernadette-like numbers, say 700-900k. But if they needed over a million to be returning investment, then there's no way. 

And Midler must have had a nice backend on that profit, too. Not doing all the math now, but averaging 2.5 mil seems it should've returned it quicker than 17 months later.

electrode10
Posted: 8/25/18 at 10:57am

Hi Friends!

Couple of friends backed out for tonight's closing performance of Dolly so I'm putting them up for grabs.

Front row mezzanine A-14 and A-16. Face value with fees was $250 each. (Looks like premium seats next to them are on Telecharge for $599.) PayPal and I'll put them in your name at the box office.

Thanks!

Videos