News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 117

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2900Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:41pm

They all look and sound wonderful. This really feels like a film adaptation (not a filmed stage play).

Meryl's line reading of "Whooooooooooooo CARES!" made me laugh out loud at work.

:P

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2901Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:47pm

I can barely contain myself!

Btw,

It's forecast to open with $27 million and finish up with around $125 million.

(Annie is forecast to open with $34 million and finish up with $140 million)

....but the world goes 'round

a-mad
#2902Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:49pm

Absolutely stunning footage. This could be really, really good.

I'm wondering if this clip may get legitimate Oscar talk going - whereas its truly been a "wait and see" approach.

Will Anna Kendrick be using an english accent? It sounds like Chris Pine will... but her one line didn't sound like it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2903Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:49pm

I'll bet it does better, especially with the star power. And if the word of mouth is really strong, that will push it closer to $200 million.

Either way, this looks like a winner. :)

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#2904Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:54pm

Les Mis looked like a winner at this point also. Everyone went gaga over the "Live singing featurette"...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2905Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:55pm

I don't know that it will score a bunch of Oscar nominations. It's got three major "genre" strikes against it: musical, fantasy, comedy (largely).

None are given fair consideration by Oscar voters as a rule (which is a shame), with only a few exceptions over the years. And only one fantasy has ever won Best Picture (LOTR).

But I think it could get nods for all technical categories, and maybe win for Sound or Costumes or Art Direction. And if it's well-reviewed enough and does well enough at the box office, it could be up for Best Picture.

But I wouldn't look for many (if any) acting nominations or director or screenplay adaptation.

Maybe I'm wrong. If it does better, I would be happy!

I just hope it makes them a ton of money and people like it. That's enough for me!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2906Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:57pm

I thought Les Miz was a winner.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2907Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:00pm

Les Miz, by Hollywood standards was both a critical and box office winner.

Individual opinions aside, it did very well.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#2908Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:08pm

The footage looks pretty good overall, but Emily Blunt really blew me away! Her face when the Prince is kissing her was perfect. I could easily see a
Golden Globe nomination for her (they love their musicals).

a-mad
#2909Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:13pm

best12bars - I realize its not in the top echelon of Oscar hopefuls right now the way that Les Miz was at this point... but I agree with you that it could be up for several technical awards. Supporting Actress appears to be a weak category this year, so unless she is a complete disaster, I can see La Streep being nominated in that category (Blunt and Corden are going lead... everyone else is supporting)

If it gets enough critical notice and does well with Golden Globe nominations, I think it could sneak into Best Picture.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2910Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:15pm

With 30 something slots available now, it's not hard to "sneak" into a best picture nomination.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#2911Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:15pm

Looks great! Though, that "Stay With Me" sounded awfully shaky vocally and overlly lush and embellished orchestrally. I guess I have to just give into the shininess of it all.

beautywickedlover
#2912Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:37pm

The featurette was amazing. This is going to be a Christmas I will not forget. It appears that Granny leaves in a tree. That's fascinating. It looks like Kendrick and Crawford are the only ones whose characters who not have accents in this film.

Wildcard
#2913Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:40pm

Don't judge "Stay With Me" by that brief footage. When you see the whole thing it is heartbreaking. Her voice is strong when it needs to be strong and her acting sells the whole thing.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#2914Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:42pm

That's good to hear, Wildcard. I'm still very much looking forward to hearing the full number. That's the one song I can never separate from Bernadette's original vocal. Her voice on that song - both on the OBCR and on the video taped presentation - just break my heart. The song hits in her vocal sweet spot and she goes straight to the emotional core of what could have been a pretty but forgettable moment of the show.

pli1018
#2915Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:45pm

Wildcard is indeed right, the performance of "Stay With Me" is heartbreaking.

The only characters using English accents (if my memory serves me correctly) are the Baker, Bakers Wife, Jack and Jack's mother. Those who have also seen it, correct me if I'm wrong.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2916Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:52pm

WOOOOW. Couldn't this week get any better? "Stay With Me" from that bit of footage looks heartbreaking and beautiful, the way it should be. Rob Marshall, I think you might have been redeemed after all; I can't wait! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Updated On: 10/23/14 at 01:52 PM

Joviedamian
#2917Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 2:15pm

When do the EW covers come out? It says October 31st, but I know sometimes they come out a week or so early!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2918Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 2:19pm

I loooove the "stay With ME"...I love the way she says "You wish...to have the curse...reversed?"...I love the way she says "Who... CAAAAARES!?!" (thanks, D2!)...and I love James Corden and Chris Pine trying to sound like James Corden....and I love the way it looks and the way the music sounds.

Merry Christmas!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2919Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 3:01pm

The new issue should be in your mailbox tomorrow if you're a subscriber.

It's supposed to hit newsstands the same day, but where I am it rarely does.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2920Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 3:08pm

Into The Woods is trending on Twitter in the US... just saying... this footage better get people talking and increase some hype up in here...

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2921Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 3:27pm

According to this article, Rob Marshall approached Emma Stone to ask her to play Cinderella but she declined because she didn't have the vocal range to play her. Smart woman she is.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Emma-Stone-Originally-Tapped-to-Play-Cinderella-in-INTO-THE-WOODS-20141023

decast
#2922Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 3:37pm

At this point I'd say my only worry is that I'm going to end up in a cinema full of kids who can't sit still and get bored all because the parents saw the words "Disney" and "fairytale". lol

Visually, it is just remarkable tho, utterly beautiful.

Starship
#2923Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 3:43pm

Nowadays, there's only a small percentage of parents with kids who do NO research before going to a "Disney" movie. Just looking at the cover I'm sure the parents will be aware of the tone of the movie.

With that being said, I'm excited! The featurette looked beautiful and I'm very excited. I've never actually seen the stage production of Into the Woods (I know, I know), so I can't compare it with the original adaptation. The only reservation I have so far about the film is Anna Kendrick. I love her as a comedian/person, but her acting always comes off a little amateur and stiff to me. I always feel as if she is a more expressive Kristen Stewart. I also wonder if when they were putting the movie together, if Meryl Streep was one of the names that helped the movie get green lighted. Maybe it's just because I'm not the BIGGEST Meryl fan, but I feel there are other names that could've done a better-ish job? I'll have to wait until I see the film to make my judgment, of course. This is just coming from the few clips we've seen. Initial reaction.

If only Emma Watson could sing....my she would've made a stunning Cinderella.

Updated On: 10/23/14 at 03:43 PM

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#2924Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/23/14 at 4:33pm

"I thought Les Miz was a winner."

Financially, yes. Artistically? ehhhhhhh

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos