News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews- Page 13

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#300MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:10pm

Scotty:

Definitely more introspective. 

After Higgins & Pickering leave the room, she sings quietly, building to a mild crescendo, during which the housemaids try to bundle her off to sleep.  She pretends to go to bed, but sneaks back in for a final, hushed refrain in semi-darkness, which I found to be one of her nicer moments. 

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Updated On: 3/18/18 at 01:10 PM

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#301MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:37pm

I don't remember thinking she was a lock for a Tony Award. Bart Sher's choice is asking us to suspend disbelief a little more than usual because of her age unfortunately. I felt I wanted the songs to be knocked out of the park too but the quieter voice was a fine trade-off for her very nice and thoughtful portrayal.  I just remember thinking this was not a slam dunk as you do while watching Harry Hadden-Paton. 

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 01:37 PM

enjoyable2
#302MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:42pm

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 01:42 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#303MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:48pm

Any pics of the curtain call where we can see some costumes?

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#304MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:55pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Any pics of the curtain call where we can see some costumes?"

I found this: https://twitter.com/CloneNic/status/974487817681358849

enjoyable2
#305MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:55pm

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

My recollection in the movie [I saw the play when I was 7 and don't remember] is that the orchestra played I could have danced all night after they delivered their final lines and the curtain came down.  What does the orchestra do as she is walking off the stage and into the audience? 

GeorgeandDot
#306MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:08pm

Andy Mientus just tweeted a lowkey shady tweet about My Fair Lady. Basically saying that his husband did a production that was amazing (it wasn't) of MFL that had a *truly* feminist ending that he suspects will be "borrowed" very often in the future..... Also saw Arden like a tweet that threw shade at Sher a while back. Is there something going on there?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#307MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:14pm

Here's the tweet in question.

Honestly sick of seeing that Andy Mientus has tweeted something shady—this is far from the first time. He infantilizes the entire industry when he posts stuff like that. Just let people do their jobs.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#308MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:19pm

Because that ending is much different than this?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GeorgeandDot
#309MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:20pm

It's just so disgustingly immature. Sher probably didn't go and see you're little regional production, hun.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#310MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:20pm

How did that version end? I've read about it a bit online but I haven't been able to find specifics about the ending.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#311MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:42pm

What's their problem with Sher? Is it because he won't cast them in his productions?

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#312MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:45pm

From a tweet response from AM:
“Without the changing the text, he staged it so that her return was only in Higgins mind and she actually leaves for good. She walked toward him, then past him and onward to her own future. Higgins says “where the devil are my slippers?” to no one, knowing he’s utterly alone.”

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#313MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:56pm

Sorry Andy, the Guthrie did an "imaginary Eliza" ending a couple seasons before your husband. It's not that insane a choice to come up with when trying to make the ending work today.

AEA AGMA SM
#314MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 4:16pm

If I’m not mistaken I believe the “last scene is all in his head” is basically the way the Amanda Dehnert/chamber version of the show ends that has been kicking around the regional theatres for a number of years now.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#315MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 4:26pm

I guess Andy auditioned for Sher a few times and Sher passed.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#316MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 4:34pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "If I’m not mistaken I believe the “last scene is all in his head” is basically the way the Amanda Dehnert/chamber version of the show ends that has been kicking around the regional theatres for a number of years now."

Indeed it is a very similar ending. Just double-checked with a friend back home in Rhode Island who saw it in 2000. Sorry, Andy. Your hubby is a marvelous director, but an originator of the “ghost Eliza” he is not.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#317MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 4:52pm

Jimmyb1969 said: "Epic production! Thoroughly enjoyed it and it was fun to see Bart working the audience and making the rounds. He’s obviously proud of the show and should be. I kept thinking how I never realized...duh...just how dark the show really is. And I think that’s because there’s no overglossy portrayals in this production except for Norbert. More on the acting in a bit. The set is fantastic...what a stunner! Here’s where I’m going to disagree with folks. I thought the costumes and wigs were just average and problematic. All of the Guys pants needed tailoring especially in the ball scene. Women were tripping over their dresses. I didn’t buy for a second that they felt comfortable in them. And I thought Lauren’s ball gown was just average. I wanted her to be transcendent and she did look beautiful and the red coat was lovely but her final looks were just so meh to me. I wanted more swan! And at one point I thought her wig might fall off. It really bobbled and she had to put her head down and try and fix it. One of the cast covered her so she could adjust. Something very sloppy is going on in the hair and costume department! Norbert was a sweaty mess and his hair looked like strands of dyed straw. Again I needed more transformation for him. Unfortunate. These things can and should be fixed. Also lighting and sound were both having issues throughout. Lauren needs special attention! Her singing is ok and she’s working with her voice but help her in the audio dept. Where the production needs work is it feels like a collection of scenes now...it needs some glue. Gotta tighten up the transitions and keep the show moving. I found myself thinking ugh move along already. Lots of long entrance and exits that need tightening. The other glaring need is some character work ...Freddy, Pickering and Norbert all have some work to do. Yes Norbert brings the house down with church and I was glad as was the audience to have a little energy and excitement cause this production is very dark and heavy...not in a necessarily bad way just an observation. But Norbert felt like the Norbert show not part of The larger whole. I needed a little more connection. Tightening the scenes and doing some character work should help. Same for Freddy and Pickering. Pickering is throwing this part away. Thankless for sure but the kindness he shows her needs to come across more. Build the relationship. And Freddy feels like a big why? Gotta mine the race scene more and build the why. Especially in street...there’s ways to do this. Higgins for the win this year. And Lauren’s heart breaking portrayal may just win her a Tony too.
"

Your points about this being a darker interpretation and Lauren's more introspective singing are spot on. Add to that the ending  that was chosen and you get an understanding of the directors overall take on the material. I'd suggest all of the above works against - A Little Bit of Luck and I'm Getting Martied in the Morning.id also suggest the libretto wasn't tuned to this darker take. Higgins got the lower energy songs and Eliza and her father got the high energy stuff. Now we've got most of the score on the lower energy spectrum with two quasi comic relief numbers that don't feel right. Do we even need her father in this? I know I'm be facisous but there's an imbalance in all that beautiful work. Her walking away was not a breath taking moment it was almost redundant. For the record I'm not a fan of this show, I am a fan of the director. So for me this is a gorgeous miss but still worth seeing. 

Up In One

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#318MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 4:56pm

I don’t think Andy said something bad???? What did Michael tweet?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#319MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 5:18pm

He was so throwing shade at the whole production and Sher in particular....basically saying that his husbands version was not only superior but also had a ground breaking concept --- as we can see here...he didn't.

I'm not dissing his production, I've not seen it....but to slam a production that is only 3-4 days into previews is pretty low....and very much full of bridge burning.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bk
#320MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 6:10pm

I am looking forward to seeing this, but after his Fiddler, I just don't know.  I thought that was horrible and this sounds like he's going that same route - darker, more today, blah, blah, blah.  My Fair Lady is a joyous musical and I'm bored of all this pandering to now.  As I've said repeatedly there is a very simple way to stage the ending that would have audiences so happy but NOT make it what they've made it, to be true to the intention of the MUSICAL, which is what they are doing.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#321MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 6:16pm

I have an idea for Sher - Eliza should come back with a gun and shoot Higgins. He tries to find his slippers to plug the bleeding hole but can't find them - "where the devil are my slippers?". Then, suddenly black out and curtain rises to Eliza singing "We Both Reached For the Gun". That was cut in early previews of the original production right?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/18/18 at 06:16 PM

GeorgeandDot
#322MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 6:20pm

Ya'll got problems.

JIMG3
#323MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 6:56pm

Serious problems.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#324MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 7:21pm

Chill people...they've had 4 previews as of today and 33 more previews till it opens...

It will be perfection by opening night! PREVIEWS are a set of public performances of a theatrical presentation that precede its official opening. The purpose of previews is to allow the director and crew to identify problems and opportunities for improvement that weren't found during rehearsals and to make adjustments before critics are invited to attend.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos