News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/9/24 at 11:19am

Hairspray Stars Marissa Jaret Winokur, Kerry Butler and Laura Bell Bundy Reunite for New Off-Broadway Show.  
New World Stages November 2 - December 8

https://people.com/hairspray-stars-marissa-jaret-winokur-kerry-butler-laura-bell-bundy-reunite-for-new-off-broadway-show-exclusive-8708077

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/9/24 at 11:26am

Ah, sir. Times is hard.

Dan6
#3Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 3:05am

Saw this tonight in LA and my wife and I both had an absolute blast. It's kind of all over the place in trying to create a (very loose) narrative structure, and it could definitely use a director, but it's still a treat seeing these three women...whose close friendship and connection over 20+ years feels very genuine...rattle off show tunes, joke with each other, and tell stories for 90 minutes. And Kerry Butler in particular sounds fantastic. Overall a very fun and unexpectedly moving evening.  

Updated On: 9/27/24 at 03:05 AM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#4Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 11:12am

I say this not as a put-down but as a genuine thought: this seems more sustainable and ultimately profitable as a podcast than as a cabaret.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 11:20am

darquegk said: "I say this not as a put-down but as a genuine thought: this seems more sustainable and ultimately profitable as a podcast than as a cabaret."

A live cabaret show generates ticket sales which equals to profit so the ladies made some money. A podcast, unless enormously successful and sponsored, generates zero income. Any podcast that has zero sponsors mentioned, is generating zero money. 

SongandDance2 Profile Photo
SongandDance2
#6Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 12:33pm

It seems not too dissimilar from something like The Midtown Men, collectively capitalizing on their association with one particularly beloved show to book gigs around the country. Another example would be Broadway Princess Party that became the Disney Princess concerts. This sounds a little more like a "3-for-1-woman show" (to attempt to coin a phrase), using their joint and individual experiences and relationship to give it more story to hang onto than a typical concert. Assuming a relatively small cost to run the show, I could imagine a few of these each month paying the bills and giving some nice exposure to some very talented performers. Nice work if you can leverage your resume to get it (to fail at coining another phrase).

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#7Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 1:39pm

I saw them do this and thought it was pretty delightful. I will say... seeing all three on stage sort of makes one of them look a good deal less talented than the other two... even as all three are lovely stage presences.

Jesus saves. I spend.

degrassifan
#8Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 5:31pm

I saw this last night. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I had fun! All three women were amazing, but when you put them together, you can definitely tell two are more talented than one. Again, all three were incredible! 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 5:52pm

We're all wondering who the third is...

But in all fairness, I think this a great idea. If people can still pimp out the success of Jersey Boys, why not this?

BrodyFosse123
#10Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 6:42pm

Let’s just say, 2 are seasoned vocalists and one just likes to sing. Nothing wrong with that. 

VintageSnarker
#11Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/27/24 at 7:35pm

Do they only do the post-show meet and greet for those with VIP tickets? I was curious but not enough to drop $300 for those seats.

BrodyFosse123
#12Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/30/24 at 5:51pm

Listener
#13Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/30/24 at 10:00pm

Does Kerry sing anything from Xanadu?

This looks fun. Wish it were starting in NY earlier though.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 9/30/24 at 11:28pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Let’s just say, 2 are seasoned vocalists and one just likes to sing. Nothing wrong with that."

Yeah, but she has a Tony.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BrodyFosse123
#15Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 10/1/24 at 12:16am

blaxx said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Let’s just say, 2 are seasoned vocalists and one just likes to sing. Nothing wrong with that."

"

So did Rex Harrison. What’s your point? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#16Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 10/1/24 at 12:29am

blaxx said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Let’s just say, 2 are seasoned vocalists and one just likes to sing. Nothing wrong with that."

"

Tony Awards are for the best actor, not the best singer.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Dan6
#17Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now!
Posted: 10/1/24 at 12:30am

Listener said: "Does Kerry sing anything from Xanadu?

She does a bit of "Suddenly," but not the whole song.  

Videos