News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews- Page 3

ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#50ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 9/2/24 at 12:02am

CoffeeBreak said: "de Bessonett isn't a good, or creative, director. Sheshould take the cue from Jack Viertel and be theArtistic Director Encores! and stop directing the shows. They are so much better without her direction (Titanic, Jelly's Last Jam, Light In The Piazza).

The high profile actors want to do the material - althoughmany have become wary of her after a singleexperience. Under her direction, weworryabout Ragtime despite a good cast. Wishsomeone with vision and creativity would tackle it, even as concert.
"

She must be doing something right. She has had two Broadway transfers in the last few years and the first one was nominated for several Tony awards. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#51ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 9/5/24 at 10:31pm

Saw this tonight.  You really miss the big orchestra that they had at city center, and overall I enjoyed it more there.  Ana Gasteyer was fine, but Harriet Harris stole the show for me at City Center.  Was Mattress always this sitcom-y?  It’s truly not a good musical, enjoyable at times.  It doesn’t even make sense, everything is underbaked.  Sutton has a line in there about the royals in her town living in the swamp, and the poor having some stuff.  You’d think she would bring generosity to the kingdom, but sadly, the line went nowhere.  I don’t understand the wizard, the jester, the no speaking king, why the others can’t get married, why she can't keep being queen even after he’s married.  It’s just such a mess of a musical, the score mostly sucks, the direction sucks,  Michael urie sucks.  Why is there a song about the jesters father? The end of act 1, FRED song, is the most underwhelming thing especially when you think about Sutton being amazing in “Show Off.”  What’s up with the grape eating bit? And why so longgg.  
We deserve a good Princess and the Pea musical. Shaina Taub, if you’re listening. 
Are they doing a cast recording?

Updated On: 9/5/24 at 10:31 PM

VintageSnarker
#52ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 9/14/24 at 1:14am

Any advice on if rush or TDF will provide better seat locations? Normally there's something in one of these threads but no one mentioned it.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#53ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 9/14/24 at 1:39am

I rushed and got a seat maybe third row balcony.  It really was not a bad seat at all, I think the Hudson balcony feels quite close to the stage. 

Videos