News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews- Page 2

ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#25ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/14/24 at 6:43pm

Much better reviews than I expected. With such great reviews for Sutton, I wonder if she'll be remembered coming Tony time, even with so many more great performances to go.

BCfitasafiddle
#26ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/14/24 at 6:56pm

Love Sutton's haircut! She hasn't aged in years.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#27ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/15/24 at 12:06am

Saw this today…eek 🫤

Sutton is a star and elevates the material…but it’s not good material.  Easily one of the worst musicals I’ve always heard about, but hadn’t yet seen.  I guess this is why we have Encores! 🤷🏽‍♂️ Just surprised this warranted a transfer. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#28ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/15/24 at 11:28pm

How is first row orchestra at the Hudson? I'd love some legroom if there is anyway, but is the stage too high?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#29ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/15/24 at 11:53pm

Too bad Harriet Harris is filming Fraser. She was the gem at City Center.

gibsons2
#30ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 9:56am

Play Esq. said: "Saw this today…eek 🫤

Sutton is a star and elevates the material…but it’s not good material. Easily one of the worst musicals I’ve always heard about, but hadn’t yet seen. I guess this is why we have Encores! 🤷🏽‍♂️ Just surprised this warranted a transfer.
"

Agreed. Really weak material and generic songs, bad choreo. The show is only saved by really talented comedians in the cast. And Michael Urie's mary jane shoes lol 

Updated On: 8/16/24 at 09:56 AM

JSquared2
#31ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 12:00pm

UWS10023 said: "Too bad Harriet Harris is filming Fraser. She was the gem at City Center."

Frasier is only 12 episodes, and Harriet is a guest actor in only 1 or 2 of those episodes.  She could shoot her scenes in a day or two, so I really doubt that was a factor here.

Observation
#32ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 1:15pm

I must admit, I'm a little bummed at the tepid response to Gasteyer. She was the reason I wanted to see the show, but I'm probably going to skip. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#33ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 1:35pm

Yeah, Ana just seemed not comfortable and barely got any laughs. It was strange when I think about how funny she was in SNL and American Auto

Sutton is a star and elevates the material…but it’s not good material. Easily one of the worst musicals I’ve always heard about, but hadn’t yet seen.

I had never seen this, I just knew it was popular in middle/high schools. It's not a good show by any means, but the majority of the cast elevates it to the point where it's just a wonderful night at the theater. 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#34ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 3:08pm

everythingtaboo said: "How is first row orchestra at the Hudson? I'd love some legroom if there is anyway, but is the stage too high?"

Curious about this also... Second row is temping price-wise and this seems to be light on complicated scenic elements, so guessing it's mostly played mid-stage. Probably gonna pull the trigger but would love to hear from someone who's sat middle/close.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#35ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 3:25pm

I really enjoyed this last night. I've been in the show twice so I know it pretty well and enjoyed the little changes they made, lots of little jokes that I chuckled at. Is this a must see? No, but it's a good time - Just like with Spamalot, Michael Urie stole the show from me! He's such a cutie. 

MezzA101
#36ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 3:31pm

Michael Urie loves sharing a 'Mattress' with Sutton Foster

https://www.out.com/out-exclusives/michael-urie-mattress

Observation
#37ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 3:43pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, Ana just seemed not comfortable and barely got any laughs. It was strange when I think about how funny she was in SNL and American Auto.

Sutton is a star and elevates the material…but it’s not good material. Easily one of the worst musicals I’ve always heard about, but hadn’t yet seen.

I had never seen this, I just knew it was popular in middle/high schools. It's not a good show by any means, but the majority of the cast elevates it to the point where it's just a wonderful night at the theater.
"

She's mentioned in interviews how quick of a process this was for her, so hoping she gets there with some time! She's so talented and I would love to see her live. Not seeing her as Elphaba is one of my regrets in life, lol! 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#38ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/16/24 at 6:08pm

Observation said: "Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, Ana just seemed not comfortable and barely got any laughs. It was strange when I think about how funny she was in SNL and American Auto.

"

She's mentioned in interviews how quick of a process this was for her, so hoping she gets there with some time! She's so talented and I would love to see her live. Not seeing her as Elphaba is one of my regrets in life, lol!
"

You didn’t miss much

bigbelterbaby
#39ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/19/24 at 4:06pm

Is the line in Shy “you can be sure, people say I’m demure” getting a reaction in the audience? Princess Fred is on trend! 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

MatthewS1
#40ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/19/24 at 4:12pm

bigbelterbaby said: "Is the line in Shy “you can be sure, people say I’m demure” getting a reaction in the audience? Princess Fred is on trend!"

I literally thought this to myself last night and searched through the show’s Instagram for demure comments. I think I’m seeing it on Wednesday- will report back!!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#41ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/21/24 at 3:47pm

Daniel Beeman will be on for Dauntless this Sunday and Tuesday. 

Oh look, a bibu!

berniesb!tch
#42ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/21/24 at 4:25pm

I saw the show a week ago on opening. Overall I would describe it as...cute. The material as some mentioned just isn't the strongest and it definitely doesn't need to be two acts, but the cast is really giving it their all. Michael and Nikki Renne Daniels were the highlight for me. Her voice is just perfection and he was so damn funny. I don't know the original so I don't know what all is Amy's stuff (I could kinda figure it out though). Sutton is doing great work here. It is the most I have enjoyed in her post lockdown shows. The show has some funny jokes but overall is never quite funny ENOUGH imo. 

Also I know it's expected from city center but god that set was awful. I usually can tolerate not full sets from city center on Broadway but this for me was a big miss. 

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#43ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/21/24 at 5:42pm

de Bessonett isn't a good, or creative, director.  She should take the cue from Jack Viertel and be the Artistic Director Encores! and stop directing the shows.  They are so much better without her direction (Titanic, Jelly's Last Jam, Light In The Piazza).

The high profile actors want to do the material - although many have become wary of her after a single experience.  Under her direction, we worry about Ragtime despite a good cast.  Wish someone with vision and creativity would tackle it, even as concert.

Updated On: 8/21/24 at 05:42 PM

MezzA101
#44ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/29/24 at 12:23pm

Before Bed: How ‘Once Upon a Mattress’ Star Sutton Foster Winds Down After a Performance | Vogue

https://www.vogue.com/article/before-bed-with-sutton-foster

nativenewyorker2
#45ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/31/24 at 3:42pm

Can someone explain to me that in year of our lord 2024, in a show that has been rewritten several times, how Very Soft Shoes has not been cut?

it has no basis to the plot except being based on a throwaway line in act one

inception Profile Photo
inception
#46ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/31/24 at 5:44pm

It's a moment for the actor playing the Jester to perform some *hopefully* great dancing

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#47ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 8/31/24 at 9:46pm

Uh. WOW.

Yet another Broadway summer miss.

ONCE UPON A MATTRESS was inane, painful, empty-headed, and lacked any and all forms of fizz and humor.

Even gifted performers like Michael Urie and Ana Gasteyer couldn’t save this. I would’ve rather slept on a bed of nails.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

inception Profile Photo
inception
#48ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 9/1/24 at 9:02am

Did you see it at Encores earlier in the year?

Is it worse than The Wiz?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#49ONCE UPON A MATTRESS Reviews
Posted: 9/1/24 at 9:54am

I didn’t see it at Encores.

Honestly, it was very much like The Wiz in the sense that it felt like Celebrity Community Theatre, but I’ll at least give credit to The Wiz for their sheer level of talent through their singing.

In Mattress, nothing ever really popped out. Everyone seemed to be kind of…there.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Videos