News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Obama is going to the Saturday matinee of "Hamilton"...- Page 4

Obama is going to the Saturday matinee of "Hamilton"...

mfaye9
#75Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 7:57pm

I was there. I was in the mezz so I couldn't see Obama from my seat but everyone did stand and clap when he came in. It was a really special experience.

Javier was fantastic, as was the rest of the cast. The show was everything I wanted it to be and more.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#76Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 8:02pm

Pal Joey: word; absolutely.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#77Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 8:44pm

I love the stern Secret Service guy photobombing to Obama's left.

FindingNamo
#78Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 9:22pm

He's pro enough to know he is the Director first and foremost.

Where did he get that idea?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#79Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 9:26pm

And did he tell Thomas Kail?  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#80Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 9:53pm

Have to applaud the Secret Service. Getting him to the theater, in, out, and onto his next destination is a complicated puzzle to figure out and execute. They've been doing this for decades, yet it impresses me every time. 

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#81Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 9:58pm

But remember Lin-Manual performed some of the numbers for the President at the White House a while back so he has had the opportunity to perform some of the material for Obama. It was interesting at work today because people were saying that Obama should have been comforting military families who lost loved ones in the shootings rather than attending the Broadway theatre. I did not agree however....

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#82Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 10:21pm

Miranda sang one song at the White House, not "some." And at the time, the song came solely from the mouth of Burr, whereas now it includes most of the cast in a big opening number. 

This isn't the place to debate the allocation of time between grieving and celebrating American history, but suffice it to say that there are very few weeks nowadays in which some new tragedy does not unfold because we think guns are more important than people.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#83Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 2:15am

"Miranda sang one song at the White House, not "some." And at the time, the song came solely from the mouth of Burr, whereas now it includes most of the cast in a big opening number. 
This isn't the place to debate the allocation of time between grieving and celebrating American history, but suffice it to say that there are very few weeks nowadays in which some new tragedy does not unfold because we think guns are more important than people.

The use of the word "some" was indeed incorrect.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#84Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:53am

I was there on Saturday afternoon and it was a truly thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience that I am so grateful I was able to witness.

First off, it was extremely well run and a very smooth process. It seemed like everyone was very respectful of each other (both the audience responsible and respectful of the rules and the secret service also seemed extremely respectful of all of us).

Lin’s family was there and, when he walked in before the show to join them in the audience, he got a nice, big applause & standing ovation.

I was anticipating the show to start late, but it actually started earlier than most performances usually do! Just a few minutes after 2:00, the lights dimmed and Obama and the girls were ushered in to thunderous applause and a standing ovation from the audience. Once they were sitting (two rows directly behind Lin), the show started, prompting us all to sit back down and enjoy the show.

It was hard to not think about how the show was being seen through the eyes of the President. So many different lines and moments held extra meaning. The one line that got a different reaction (beyond a usual laugh) with Obama in the room was when one of the ensemble says (in reference to Burr), “He seems like someone you could have a beer with.”

When the show ended, Obama was one of the first people on his feet for the standing ovation.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#85Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 10:58am

^^^ That sounds really cool. Thanks for posting!

GilmoreGirlO2
#86Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:09am

Oh, just wanted to add that, with Obama in the audience, “History Has Its Eyes on You” became even more powerful. It was one of the moments that my breath was really taken away with the significance of being in the room with this President watching this show.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#87Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:11am

Awesome. Wow!

Also, I was wondering, did Javier get entrance applause? I'm hoping the audience showed him some love. What was the reaction to his performance?

Liza's Headband
#88Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:12am

...it was a truly thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience...

Because a corrupt politician with ties to Chicago cronyism, Wall Street and Big Pharma attended a show on Broadway about the messy history of America?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#89Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:13am

"...it was a truly thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience...
Because a corrupt politician with ties to Chicago cronyism, Wall Street and Big Pharma attended a show on Broadway about the messy history of America?"

Yes.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Liza's Headband
#90Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:15am

I suspect Hamilton would find the whole thing ironic when you consider the level of corruption and cronyism currently taking place in our country's political system.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#91Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:16am

This "ALL POLITICIANS ARE CORRUPT" routine is even worse than Dollypop's old Loretta Swit schtick.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GilmoreGirlO2
#92Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:17am

Javier did get entrance applause and major, major applause at the curtain call. The audience absolutely showed him lots of (well-earned and deserved!) love.

Liza's Headband
#93Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:23am

Kad -- I didn't realize the truth is a "schtick." I have also never suggested ALL politicians are corrupt, only that most are and that it applies to both parties. You can push back against my hyperbole all you wish but a man as smart as you cannot deny the cronyism, influence-peddling, corruption and massive lobbying taking place in the government right now. Special Interest groups own our freedom. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#94Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:24am

If Hamilton is a cautionary tale for voters who elect corrupt politicians, and tolerate the passage of laws that make corruption legal, it seems even more apt for the eyes and ears of someone who can actually affect/exploit those laws, or at least has a bully pulpit to inveigh against them.

Liza's Headband
#95Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:27am

Well put, HH. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#96Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:37am

Oh, I don't deny it is an issue.

I take issue with your own awareness of your hyperbole and your insistence on using this relatively new act of yours- and it is just that, another act you have put on in your ever-evolving identity on this board- as a way to assert superiority and tacitly demean others.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Liza's Headband
#97Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:42am

Sorry, but there is no "superiority" in the act of reminding others of the corruption taking place in our government. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#98Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:48am

"Javier did get entrance applause and major, major applause at the curtain call. The audience absolutely showed him lots of (well-earned and deserved!) love."

I'm so glad to hear this! I've always felt it must be really tough to be an understudy or alternate. I think they have the hardest job in theater. I look forward to seeing him in the role at some point.

Updated On: 7/20/15 at 11:48 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#99Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:52am

"Sorry, but there is no "superiority" in the act of reminding others of the corruption taking place in our government."

Yes. There inherently is. It's saying, "I know better than you. You should be as aware of it as I am. Be more like me." It's not about the corruption at all; it's about you.

There's a fine line between being a Cassandra and a dick.

Updated On: 7/20/15 at 11:52 AM

Videos