News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Obama is going to the Saturday matinee of "Hamilton"...- Page 3

Obama is going to the Saturday matinee of "Hamilton"...

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#50Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 7:00pm

At two o'clock this afternoon, Lin-Manuel tweeted: javilton's put-in rehearsal today. I'm about to see my show for the first time y'all.

So, Javi is going on! The question is when? I'm assuming tomorrow's matinee, as scheduled, but I really have no idea. We see soon enough.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#51Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 7:03pm

That tweet makes it sound like Javilton is happening tonight!(?)

FindingNamo
#52Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 7:18pm

It's a rehearsal.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

mfaye9
#53Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 9:48pm

Lin will in fact be out tomorrow..

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/lin-manuel-miranda-to-sit-out-performance-of-hamilton-even-with-obama-in-audience/?_r=0

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#54Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 9:56pm

Bit of a shocker seeing who is in the audience.

Poster Emeritus

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#55Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:00pm

I think that's great! Javi gets to have the thrilling experience of performing for the president, and Lin-Manuel gets to watch.

colleen_lee
#56Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:21pm

I'm glad they're sticking to the alternate schedule. It sends a powerful message. If Javier is good enough for the Obamas, he's good enough for everyone else. 

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 7/17/15 at 10:21 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#57Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:36pm

"I'm glad they're sticking to the alternate schedule. It sends a powerful message. If Javier is good enough for the Obama's, he's good enough for everyone else. "

Very well stated! Also, good on Lin-Manuel for not hogging the spotlight. Not that I thought he would. 

FindingNamo
#58Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:39pm

The producers owe it to Obsma to exchange his ticket. #fairisfair

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#59Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:40pm

Javier was amazing in Heights. He'll slay this as well. For everyone going on Saturday, you're already very lucky but good luck Obama at Hamilton

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#60Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 10:40pm

If I was Mr. Miranda I would definitely sit the show out and watch with the President. I don't think this is very surprising.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#61Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:31pm

He meets the president as a writer. That's a noble enough calling to meet a president.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#62Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 8:26am

I have been watching Ticketmaster for the past couple of days to see if any seats would pop up for todays matinee. Last night on Ticketmaster seats popped up for todays matinee.

I tried to justify spending $342.00 for one of the premium seats that was released. I almost did it but thought twice. 6 or 7 seats popped up in row F Orch center. This morning I was looking at Stubhub and low and behold 3 of the seats that were on Ticketmaster are now here. 

2 are listed for $877.41ea and 1 is listed for $917.66

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#63Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 8:38am

Lin-Manuel is a class act for letting his understudy perform when Lin could easily decide to perform for Obama.

decast
#64Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 9:36am

Maybe I'm just being soft, but judging from social media and everything that's happening with the lotto entertainment etc, they really do seem like a really happy, very supportive, close cast and team. I think Lin is fully aware this show is much more than just him, but as people have said, he could have very easily decided to perform this afternoon, so it's nice to see he's letting Javier do it. I expect there to be mayhem later. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#65Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 1:09pm

I'll just echo what everyone else has said, it's very cool and generous of Lin to let Javier go on for President Obama today. I can't imagine the thrill they both will have today. 

Updated On: 7/18/15 at 01:09 PM

Phantom4ever
#66Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 1:15pm

I'm here !   Just got in my seat and now I get to cool my heels for 45 minutes.   There was only about 20 people in line ahead of me (lots more were already inside).  There's a huge white tent outside that I guess will be just for Obama.  All they did was wave a wand over me band have me empty my pockets and that was it for security.  TSA and secret service split the job it seemed like.  The metal detectors (for people with bags?) blocked all of the box office windows so it looked like they box office staff had to deal with people outside.  Everything is very orderly and normal except for a few ushers shouting at people keep it moving in the lobby 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#67Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 4:03pm

I think LinManuel is doing a really professional and humbling thing by sticking with the schedule. He's pro enough to know he is the Director first and foremost. Fill ins or understudies are, from my experience, generally equal to or better than...they are professional actors and deserve a chance whenever possible. Also based on publicity and reviews it doesn't sound like a real Star vehicle for one person. I love the cast as it is now and wish them all to break a leg every night. 

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

Brick
#68Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 4:07pm

He also may relish the opportunity to watch the show and actually see the changes that have gone in. He could jump in for the sake of Obama seeing his performance, but likely he knows he has work to do and watching the show today is best for the show.

I doubt he even considered doing otherwise.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#69Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 4:34pm

Did anyone go today? Did anyone get to see Obama? I hope there are pics. I don't know why but this makes me excited.  

Phantom4ever
#70Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 5:07pm

Show just let out.  Obama came in right as the lights went down.  The alternate was great.  So many excellent numbers.  The lighting was exquisite.  

The only thing different was that there were huge cheers when Obama came after the lights went down at the top of each act.   At the end of the show, an announcement was made to stay on our seats til further notice.  The house lights stayed down. Nobody really listened and people got a little frustrated at the wait and at the fact that nobody listened.

ardiem
#71Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 5:26pm

Javier exited a few mins ago. He said they had a chance to meet the Obamas backstage during intermission.

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#72Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 5:51pm

I was not at Hamilton, but I saw American in Paris today and I was stuck in the mass of people waiting to see him drive by. I was wondering whether or not he had met the cast or not, that was smart to do it during intermission. It was pretty crazy after he left with all the people. That was a huge tent out front! 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#73Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 5:53pm

I have friends at Finding Neverland across the street.  Apparently, they got held in the theatre until Obama left 46th Street.

Margo319
#74Obama at Hamilton
Posted: 7/18/15 at 6:53pm

Obama at Hamilton

Videos