News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Pacific Overtures

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#25Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 7:06pm

Got my ticket! Front row in mid-May, $71. I agree with what a above-poster said about "Passion." I think this will be a tremendous theater experience. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#26Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 7:40pm

SO happy. Grabbed 2 on the aisle for Thurs May 11. 

Thought I'd re-share Ed Cachianes's excellent video collage of Pacific Overtures, that I recall both Sondheim and Frank RIch have praised 
https://youtu.be/--EZV2uY8-8

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 8:06pm

Do they often cast women in this?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 8:12pm

The 2004 revival did. 

Wayman_Wong
#29Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 8:19pm

The 1976 Broadway original had women in it, but in minor roles.

Updated On: 3/6/17 at 08:19 PM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#30Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 9:33pm

"1976 Broadway original had women in it, but in minor roles"

Not entirely accurate. Women were used as hooded figures, manipulating props, etc. Their faces were not seen or their voices heard except in the finale, "Next," partly to show the vast changes in Japanese culture.

Wayman_Wong
#31Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 10:00pm

Yes, there were women in the original 1976 ''Pacific Overtures'': Susan Kikuchi, Diane Lam, Kim Miyori, Freda Foh Shen, Leslie Watanabe. And though they mostly played the hooded stage assistants, they had bit parts, disguised as sailors and townspeople. As you note, the women could be clearly seen as women in the modern-day ''Next.'' Also, Foh Shen was featured as the Shogun's comical, off-key singing wife in ''Chrysanthemum Tea.''

Updated On: 3/6/17 at 10:00 PM

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#32Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/6/17 at 10:37pm

I'm slightly upset that this revival has chosen to cast women as well, and since theatre producing isn't what it was in 1976, I doubt they will only be playing bit parts or be disguised till the end. There is something about the all-male cast that lends to the shows Kabuki-esque feeling.

I do hope that whoever is the Shogun's Mother does justice to Alvin Ing's phenomenal interpretation.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#33Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 8:16am

I, too, prefer the show when staged in a heavily stylized way (including using men in women's roles, as the writers intended). It creates a kind of magic that a more prosaic, pedestrian visualization does not.

Sadly, I've only seen it done this way once, in the really wonderful 1984 Off Broadway revival. (Although the video of the original Broadway production offers a very good argument that that was the definitive version which will probably never be surpassed for magic, message, and sumptuousness.)

Updated On: 3/7/17 at 08:16 AM

guitarperson
#34Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 8:24am

Hmmm, I'm definitely curious to see Doyle's interpretation and think the show could work great with women cast in some lead roles. Like "Sweeney", I think the source material in Pacific Overtures is so strong that it could be presented any number of different ways with success. I'm more concerned about the "100 minutes, no intermission" running time and hope they don't cut out any major songs (though of course there are parts of the original production that should be cut)

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#35Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 8:45am

I grabbed a pair of tickets for a Sunday in May in Row C. They had tickets in Row A available, but I was afraid the stage may be high and thought it might be best to be a bit further back.

This will be my first time seeing a production of Pacific Overtures and I am so excited! Can't wait to hear reports from previews!

myk
#36Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 8:58am

At CSC, when there is a stage, it is usually only a foot or so off the ground. Most shows are performed on the "floor." I've sat in the front row many times and because it's so intimate a space and you're right there with them, it takes on an almost environmental theater feel. It might not be for everyone, but I highly recommend sitting that close sometime. I saw both Allegro and Passion from the first row (side) and it was like "living" the performance with them.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#37Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 9:14am

That's good to know, thank you myk!

VintageSnarker
#38Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 10:51am

If I'm remembering correctly, Mother Courage was performed on the existing floor of the theater and Peer Gynt was performed on a platform. But yes, I don't remember the platform being high enough to impede anyone's view. I'm not sure that would even work in that space.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#39Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:08am

I had thought that the space was T-shaped with seating on the sides of the stage, but the seating plan for P.O. shows a long, narrow stage between two long sides of seats. Of the two sides, without knowing the specifics of the set, is one side usually considered better than the other?

VintageSnarker
#40Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:29am

MarkBearSF said: "I had thought that the space was T-shaped with seating on the sides of the stage, but the seating plan for P.O. shows a long, narrow stage between two long sides of seats. Of the two sides, without knowing the specifics of the set, is one side usually considered better than the other?

That's an interesting question. The former seating made a sort of C-shape with center risers that faced the "stage" head on with a set of seats on either side. In that configuration, both sides were fine depending how the actors were facing at any one moment. My assumption is that they took out the center seating because if you were to instead put another set of risers along the back wall I think it would block the doors where the actors make their entrances and exits. If the stage is lengthways I'm not sure if the actors will mostly be in profile or if they'll turn one side of the audience will have a poor view. The center seating used to be the best view but they must have a good reason for taking it out. 

myk
#41Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/7/17 at 1:08pm

That's the configuration that Peer Gynt (John Doyle direction) was staged. The 100 side (if that is the side when you enter the auditorium, closest to the door) is usually the "front" but I'm sure it will be staged so both sides get a great view... Peer was.

chris d
#42Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/9/17 at 8:51pm

Going to see this May 10 and I'm super excited.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#43Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/10/17 at 5:44pm

Heisenberg Off-Broadway was staged like that and I feel like both sides would have been equally good. But Heisenberg only has 2 actors and basically no set, so it's probably a bit easier.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#44Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/11/17 at 7:50am

Will Jonathan Goble and his ricksha be left out of this production, too?  I'm unhappy when this and other more kaleidoscopic aspects of the show are removed to make the show more "linear" (not the original intent).  For me, these adjustments diminish the show, much like the absence of "Bolero d'Amour" in FOLLIES and "Tick-Tock" in COMPANY.  I don't see such cuts as "improvements".

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#45Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/20/17 at 2:43am

Hey I have a friend of mine visiting in July and they're a huge Sondheim fan.  I was wondering what the chances of this extending into July are?  Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not to familiar with CSC.

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#46Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/20/17 at 8:03am

Put me in the 'super excited to see this' camp.  My only (live) experience with this show was in Philadelphia in 2003.  (The Google tells me it was at the Arden Theater).  

The show was, as I recall, very stylized, all-male and definitely non-linear.  The experience of seeing a production of a show one has grown to love solely via cast recordings has got to be one of theater's most satisfying experiences--***finally*** being able to scratch that itch!

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#47Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/20/17 at 9:15am

Anyone think there's a chance this will extend into June? 

Peteo
#48Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/20/17 at 9:47am

getting tickets today.  The original production was one of the most thrilling experiences I have had in the theater.  

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#49Pacific Overtures
Posted: 3/23/17 at 2:10pm

The production has gone up on BroadwayBox, which is interesting.

Link

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Videos