News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL- Page 11

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#250THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/20/15 at 8:46pm

They're going for a traditional Broadway-style show, so we will mainly see musical theatre performers.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see some 'specialized' performers in the mix.

jimmycurry01
#251THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/21/15 at 1:35am

I have to admit that I have only seen Zumanity, but there was a considerable amount of singing and acting, so that is why I bring it up.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#252THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/21/15 at 8:45am

The one song everyone in America knows from THE WIZ isn't "Home, but "Everybody Rejoice! only because it was used in at least 2 national commercials.  It became the go-to for upbeat for a while.  It was on the Tonys, and is in the "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat" position in the show's second act.  And worth noting: it was one of the added numbers, not written by Brown/Small but by the late great Luther Vandross.  People forget that fact.  It needs to take the proverbial roof off the TV version.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#253THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/22/15 at 1:34am

Mildly OT: Upon listening to the original opening night audio, its sounds like the film did the stage version such a disservice. Mabel King totally kills it. I really, really, really hope NBC doesn't screw this up. I'm interested in which libretto they're gonna use for this. Do you think they'll use the La Jolla Version? Or an original? Or a combo of both? Also, I'm curious--did anyone see the infamous 1987 Marriott Lincolnshire "colorblind" production with Felicia Phillips? I'm interested to hear about that from anyone who saw it.

It would be interesting if they could get Felicia Rashad to be in this, as apparently she was a munchkin in the original production!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#254THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:12am

They've reportedly hired Harvey Fierstein to do a revised script, so my guess is that it won't take into consideration the revisions made for La Jolla.  PETER PAN LIVE! had a lot of new material in it, so I suppose that it shouldn't come as a surprise if THE WIZ LIVE! has a lot of new material as well.

What made the 1987 production infamous, missthemountains?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

LarryD2
#255THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/22/15 at 11:16am

I have no memory of that production, but I'm guessing the fact that it was apparently colorblind.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#256THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/22/15 at 1:40pm

I love this show! Hope this is a good production. 

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#257THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/30/15 at 12:54am

This may be a dumb question but has it  been announced that the NBC show will be with an All black cast?

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

skies Profile Photo
skies
#258THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/30/15 at 1:53am

"This may be a dumb question but has it  been announced that the NBC show will be with an All black cast?"

Not if they are giving a role to  Christian Borle.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#259THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/30/15 at 4:20am

The "big" song from The Wiz was Ease on Down the Road. It saved the production. It was featured in the commercial and then was recorded by some group whose version hit the Billboard top 10 or top 20. Every disco in New York, the Pines and Cherry Grove was playing either the Billboard version or the OBC version. I saw the show midweek four weeks after it opened and the theater was less than half full. Like the original Chicago, it was a big production that needed to nearly sell out every performance to make its nut and it really struggled the first few months. It almost closed. But Ease on Down the Road brought in audiences and after it won a slew of Tonys, including Best Musical, it started selling out and became the monster hit people remember.

It opened to mixed reviews, justifiably so. The production numbers were fantastic but the book scenes really dragged and you sat there saying to yourself "Just shut up and sing." I suspect the problem was director Geoffrey Holder, who had replaced Gilbert Moses out-of-town, because the wonderful Timbuktu, an all black revisal of Kismet with Eartha Kitt, also directed by Holder, had exactly the same problem. He was an enormously talented man but he couldn't direct a book scene to save his life.

I'm surprised to find out that Mills was seventeen or eighteen as she was made up, dressed, acted, and looked as if she were an adolescent. Like the rest of the cast, she was nothing short of terrific.

Updated On: 6/30/15 at 04:20 AM

Showface
#260THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 6/30/15 at 11:36am

I wonder if Marla Louissaint is being considered for Dorothy...

Last night she won the Best Actress Jimmy Award!!

Updated On: 6/30/15 at 11:36 AM

skies Profile Photo
skies
#261THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/1/15 at 3:20am

I wonder if Ms. Ross would do a cameo appearance.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

jimmycurry01
#262THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:30am

"I wonder if Ms. Ross would do a cameo appearance."

Ms. Ross never should have appeared in the first screen adaptation. I certainly don't care to see her in the second one. These NBC musicals already have a track record for bad acting, why throw Ross into the mix to extend that reputation any further?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#263THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:32am

Usher & Queen Latifah are set

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

silent
#264THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/3/15 at 9:49am

Other than Audra, it appears that Latifah is the other go-to black woman for a musical. And it needs to stop!

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#265THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/3/15 at 10:36am

What about Uzo Aduba? Girl sang on "The View" the other day and it was GOOOOOD. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#266THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/3/15 at 4:03pm

Usher as the tin man and queen latifah as evilene?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#267THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/3/15 at 9:13pm

"Usher & Queen Latifah are set"

How do you know this? And if it's true which roles?

Updated On: 7/12/15 at 09:13 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
jimmycurry01
#269THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/13/15 at 11:33pm

"Fill those ruby slippers!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Fill-Those-Ruby-Slippers-NBC-to-Hold-LA-Casting-Call-for-Role-of-Dorothy-in-THE-WIZ-LIVE-20150713
Really BWW? Really? THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL"

Surely they meant silver shoes.

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#270THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/26/15 at 11:13pm

According to the IMDb page for this, Grace Jones (Zula in "Conan the Destroyer") is rumored to be playing Evillene...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4718770/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Visceral_Fella
#271THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/27/15 at 1:07am

Grace Jones would be perfection!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#272THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/27/15 at 9:54am

Ms. Jones has sung Evillene before.  Ms. Jones in Oakland

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#273THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/27/15 at 10:04am

If they get Grace Jones to play "Evilene" that would be beyond amazing!

I really hope they get her!

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#274THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 7/28/15 at 3:43pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I think Brynn Williams would be perfect for Dorothy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsshDWQR2as

Videos