News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The 2005 Tony Awards Thread- Page 37

The 2005 Tony Awards Thread

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#900re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:11pm

I have a question. So many people on this thread - obviously rabid theater fans like me - are now saying which shows they will or won't see following the awards show. Is this based solely on the number of awards a show won, or are you judging the show on the one abbreviated out-of context performance? Is this selectivity due to finances?

Maybe I'm a freak, but I go see every show I can, regardless of the Tony Awards. I would have missed so many fantastic, non-mainstream shows if I were that selective.

MargoChanning
#901re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:12pm

SEVERAL of us said this week that PIAZZA would likely take the most awards -- just not Best Musical. It did the same at the Drama Desks and most of the "experts" predicted it would win at least 4 or 5 tonight (and most figured SPAMALOT would get three, just like a the Drama Desks). The only sort of surprise was the costume award that several had going to SPAMALOT. PIAZZA's six wins were not only well-deserved, but were predicted by most of the pundits.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#902re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:15pm

I never understood the concept of one show winning best book, choreography and score and then the best musical award going to another show.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#903re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:17pm

Yes, I know Margo. I predicted it would too. I knew Spamalot would win. But it's undeserving in my opinion. The Light in the Piazza is far superior.

Yay, I'm seeing it again on Wednesday!

~Steven

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#904re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:17pm

I thought PIAZZA's number was great.. So I just bought a ticket
for July 2nd. 6th row center for $20!! :)Yeah.. I'm mad about Spamalot wining best musical, but we all knew it's gonna take it. The only "surprise" for me was the costume award which I thought La Cage will take. I'm also mad at La Cage for getting best revival. Overall, I liked last year's telecast much better.

Updated On: 6/5/05 at 11:17 PM

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#905re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:18pm

Well i was a little upset by the whole thing. I mean i guess it was kind of cool because i was just in the city a couple of weeks ago, seeing a good portion of the nominees and who-not in their street clothes, and then to see them in the greatest theatre in the world dressed to the nines!
My analysis: Let another network carry the show (sans FOX). CBS always does a very classy job with the show, but I do agree, the past couple of years it has seemed like the entire thing just drags, personally I say let O'Donnell get back to hosting, there was a very big sense of FUN but yet organization....the past couple of years it just seems very makeshift really...I was so upset Jan Maxwell didn't win! LOVED the Christina Applegate bit, Crystal....a bit too much..a couple less interruptions could have been done with.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#906re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:19pm

I think the show started off well, then began to drag. And they need a new sound guy. I wouldn't mind seeing another network give it a try, preferably a network that can handle the word "ass"

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#907re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:20pm

Spamalot's win wasn't met with a lot of joy, save for the people on stage. It was kind of a superficial win.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#908re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:20pm

I found the whole night a little dissapointed. For some reason last year was SO much more exciting for me.

The performances were ALRIGHT. If I rank them in order I think they were the best/enjoyed the most

1. The Light in The Piazza
2. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
3. Sweet Charity
4. Spelling Bee
5.Spalamot
6. La Cage

- and a special note for the WONDERFUL ensemble of Chicago. such a REAL PLEASURE for me to see them perform this year.

MargoChanning
#909re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:21pm

You're absolutely right, Marquise. It's called politics and voters voting their wallets -- SPAMALOT will make them rich, while PIAZZA probably won't/can't. It may extend through the end of the year at (not-for-profit) Lincoln Center, but whether it will tour and make a significant chunk of the voters money is an open question -- which is why it lost.

The Tonys (at least when it comes to the ONE award that means anything at the box office) are about commerce, not art.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MargoChanning
#910re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:21pm

Double post

Updated On: 6/5/05 at 11:21 PM

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#911re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:22pm

Is it me or did Christina Applegate majorly suck in her SC performance?

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#912re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:24pm

She was incredibly nervous. She's better in the show.

~Steven

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#913re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:25pm

Well, her voice was shakey, but look at it this way......for the character of Charity it was okay......

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#914re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:25pm

Anyone else upset that SPELLING BEE didn't get more recognition? I've seen every musical that was nominated for anything this season and by far i thought Spelling bee was the most enjoyable. I had high hopes for all of the other best musical nominees but they all left me with something to be desired. I enjoyed Piazza, and it had many redeeming qualities but it was highly flawed. (It was definitely no Caroline, or Change). It just seemed no one had mentioned spelling bee at all, so I figured I would share my opinion.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#915re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:30pm

In Applegates defense:

In one of the interviews she said she was VERY FRIGHTENED to perform, even thought she does it 8 times a week. She made it known she was extremely nervous to peform.

lets not forget, she is still dancing on a broken foot.

The tempos were sped up, and the performers had trouble hearing the orchrestra.

She was in tune with her singing, and dancing was fine.

PJ
#916re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:31pm

I'm excited that Sara and Norbert won. But for next year, please, pleaseeeeeeeeee get someone new to host. Hugh Jackman was just plain boring this year. It's time to pass the torch onto someone else now.

And what was with the sound? Sheesh.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#917re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:31pm

Spelling Bee, I thought, was my only hope for someone other than Spamalot winning. I highly enjoyed the show. I really want to see it again. But I think I liked Piazza a bit more. It should have gotten more recognition, though, you're right.

~Steven

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#918re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:48pm

I think Spamalot deserved best musical. Piazza didn't do much for me. It's pretty, but that's it for me (hint the technical awards). Spamalot is quite a well done musical that is introducing Broadway to many people who are unfamiliar with the territory (like the many young and middle aged men who see it every week).

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Plum
#919re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:11am

It's weird- the performances were better this year, but the overall ceremony seemed better last year. Or maybe my Hugh-goggles are skewing my vision.

VIETgrlTerifa
#920re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:41am

Plum, maybe that's why I personally enjoyed this year's better than last year's telecast. From everyone's opinion except mine, it seems that last year was done better, but I couldn't help enjoying this show more. True, I didn't like Hugh nearly as much as I did last year when he did the Dreamgirls number, and I thought the presenters writing was really bad...but to me the Tonys are about the musical numbers, and I think that other than the extra fluff numbers that had nothing to do with the actual nominees, it was done really well.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

#921re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:03am

Thank you to Mr. Albee for the recognition of his partner - "For 35 years he made me a happy playwright, and tonight you have made me a happy playwright."

Coming so soon after his partner's death, it was a difficult moment for him, I'm sure - but it was beautiful, and hopefully touched some hearts of those who heard him.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#922re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:10pm

OK TIME TO OBSESS MORE ABOUT NORBERT!!!!!!
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG IM SOOOO HAPPY FOR HIM

im in search for a therapist right now...dont worry...ive got issues...lmao!

and yes, i do need goals of my own.

im a butz-head, what can i say? lmao

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#923re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/6/05 at 1:12pm

Whatta ya mean Hugh was boring? He wasn't even onstage....

BroadwayPer4mer03
#924re: The 2005 Tony Awards Thread
Posted: 6/6/05 at 5:33pm

Here is what I think:
Spamalot should have gotten more
LITP should have gotten less
DRS and Spelling Bee got what they deserved
12 Angry Men should have gotten Best Play Revival
Brian F. O'Byrne should have won best Actor in a Play
I thought this awards show was pretty bad. Hugh Jackman bored me half to death. The performances all were on the mediocre side. There were a couple of funny, touching moments with Billy Crystal, Nathan Lane, and the whole Applegat around a lampost thing but thats about it. I would rank the performances in this order:

1. LITP( I hated the show but the performance was good enough for me)
2. Spamalot( this probably would have been the best performance if it werent for Sara Ramierz's illness)
3. Spelling Bee
4. La Cage(The show looks terrible but hey the dancing was impressive!
Tied for last: Sweet Charity and DRS( I was looking foward to seeing both shows but now I am definetley not going!)

Unfortuantely a bad ceremony for the Tonys, again. The awards were too predictable except for a few suprises in which the suprises were all lame desicions. Hugh Jackman was great the first year, the second year he was good, the third year I can't stand him! Oh well! Hopefully next year's better.

Videos