News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 63

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

neonlightsxo
#1550The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 12/20/16 at 1:52pm

sorano916 said: "I think you're correct... so the change over in the ensemble since the beginning is:

Ariana DeBose -> Sasha Hollinger

Sydney Harcourt -> Roddy Kennedy

Sasha Hutchings -> Tanairi Sade Vazquez

Emmy Raver-Lampman -> Elizabeth Judd

Jon Rua -> Neil Haskell

Austin Smith -> Nik Walker

Seth Stewart - > Zelig Williams

Betsy Struxness -> Hope Easterbrook

Ephraim Sykes -> Gerald Avery

(Fixed the Sashas. :))
"

It looks like Sydney's track has been taken over by Donald Webber Jr., and Ephraim's has been taken over by Rickey Tripp, per Playbill Vault.

Also, it seems Lauren Boyd begins tonight in Carleigh's track.

http://www.playbill.com/personlistpage/person-list?production=00000150-aea8-d936-a7fd-eefc733e0005&type=cp#cc

4getmenot
#1551The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 12/20/16 at 7:02pm

I just saw the NY cast (all replacements except for Oak) and also saw the Chicago cast last month.  I agree with most of the sentiments above that the Chicago cast blows NY replacements away.  If I go down the list of characters:

Hamilton- Cervantes much better than Luowye.
Burr- Henry slightly better than Dixon.
Washington - Kirkland lightyears ahead of Treco (s/b).  The physical height disparity between Kirkland and Cervantes was so striking and effective.
Lafayette/Jefferson- Stewart couldn't come close to Lee's energy.  Stewart is definitely the weak link in the NY cast while Lee is one of the highlights in Chicago.
King George - Gemignani did slightly better than O'Malley.
Eliza - Afsar brought sweetness and power at the right times, Lawson was fairly wooden.
Angelica- I didn't like either especially but Olivo's It's Quiet Uptown performance was gut-wrenching.
Laurens/Phillip - This was the closest matchup.  I might even give a slight edge to Fisher since he is so physically suited for the role and knows his comedic timing.
Hercules/Mulligan - Also kind of a tie.

Anyways, it's safe to say that I wish they were a bit more discerning about finding Broadway replacements.  Although I didn't have the special experience of seeing the OBC, the Chicago production will definitely hold a fond place in my heart.

Updated On: 12/20/16 at 07:02 PM

Castle2
#1552The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 12/24/16 at 4:56pm

Oak's final performance as Mulligan/Madison should be wrapping up right about now. Anyone there to see it?

Mmmmoni
#1553The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 12/26/16 at 9:08pm

Does anyone know how the stage door is? I'm going with my niece next month and wondering if it's as crazy as it was last year with the OBC? 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1554The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/10/17 at 4:09pm

Bryan Terrell Clark begins his tenure as the new George Washington tonight! Will anybody be seeing his first few performances in the coming weeks?

MinervaMoon Profile Photo
MinervaMoon
#1555The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/10/17 at 8:31pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Bryan Terrell Clark begins his tenure as the new George Washington tonight! Will anybody be seeing his first few performances in the coming weeks?

I will about two weeks from now. So excited to see some of the new cast.

Hamilton Emotional Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamiltonsupport/

Castle2
#1556The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/10/17 at 8:41pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Bryan Terrell Clark begins his tenure as the new George Washington tonight! Will anybody be seeing his first few performances in the coming weeks?"

I'm seeing the matinee on the 18th (next Wednesday). First time seeing it, so I won't be able to compare to other performances besides the cast album. It'll be Taran Killam's second show!

Castle2
#1557The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/10/17 at 9:09pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Bryan Terrell Clark begins his tenure as the new George Washington tonight! Will anybody be seeing his first few performances in the coming weeks?"

And J Quinton Johnson started Jan 6 as Mulligan/Madison. Anyone seen him in the role yet?

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#1558The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/11/17 at 12:51pm

I saw him last Saturday, and thought he was great! He had a physical presence/swagger similar to Oak, and his voice was strong. Saw Jevon as Hamilton (it was only his second performance), and he has some growing to do....he knew all the words/cues, his voice was strong, but IMHO he was lacking the confidence, inner drive, and passion that is needed for the role of Hamilton. I'm sure this takes time to develop, and he will grow with each future performance. No complaining by me...I was just so thankful to finally see this show!

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#1559The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/11/17 at 3:54pm

I just need to say that I saw the show last night for the second time. The first time I saw it was in September 2015, and while I'm a little scared to admit this here... I kind of hated it. Partly because I was sitting in the rear mezzanine and had absolutely no clue what was going on the whole show... couldn't understand the lyrics, couldn't tell the characters apart from that far away, the usher was incredibly loud and distracting, the people around me were being fidgety, my back was killing me in that tight seat, etc. It looked like the ants were doing something cool on stage, but damned if I understood it. I also hate to admit here that I think LMM is a brilliant writer, but his voice makes me cringe, speaking and singing. It made me hate the character of Alexander Hamilton, which is the opposite of what we're supposed to feel. Basically, for the last year+, I've been bitching about this show and the overhype and groaned any time anyone would mention it.

Nine months ago, before my over saturation annoyance really crept in, I was in the right place at the right time online and bought a third row orchestra ticket for January because I thought it deserved a second chance. And last night... I finally got it. Being able to see the characters, and follow the plot, and understand the lyrics... it made all the difference in the world. I thought Javier was so compelling and endearing, and I finally understood the character and his motivations. I had a lump in my throat the entire time, and basically sobbed my way through Act 2. (Especially in "One Last Time," knowing that Obama was delivering his final speech at that exact time.) I can't say that the entire cast was mindblowing - I understand why the OBC Tony winners won - but it didn't matter. I get the hype now, and I'm really looking forward to digging into the cast recording and the Hamiltome to truly get to the root of the brilliant writing, now that I'm coming at it with fresh eyes. 

Anyway, you don't know me, but I wanted to formally send my apology out to the Hamilton obsessives. You were right; I was wrong. I am finally satisfied. 

KingOPancakes
#1560The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/11/17 at 10:01pm

@JudyDenmark Very nice write-up. I'm fascinated by just how different your two experiences were. 

Like you, I've been fortunate enough to have seen the show both from the back of the house and from the front row. While I loved the show each time, I agree that seeing it up close and personal is a COMPLETELY different experience. 

Were there any bright spots in your first viewing?  Not many were lucky enough to see the original cast. 

JudyDenmark
#1561The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/12/17 at 1:46am

KingOPancakes said: "Were there any bright spots in your first viewing?  Not many were lucky enough to see the original cast."

I mean, sure! I really loved Leslie Odom, Jr. I feel like I got Burr more than anyone... I remember LOVING The Room Where It Happens. I had zero clue what was going on in that room, but I could tell he really longed to be in there, haha. And obviously his performance was thrilling - it's one of the few songs that I've really listened to on repeat on the recording. (Still scratching my head that they didn't do that at the Tonys.)

I remember thinking that Renee was great too. Even though I couldn't understand the words, I could basically tell what was happening in Satisfied and thought she killed it. I also got the basic gist of "The Schuyler Sisters" and had a very "I love New York" a-ha moment that I'm able to live in this city and have experiences like seeing Hamilton that the majority of the world will never get to experience. It felt very special, and the energy of the audience during that particular song was very palpable.

In a nutshell... the biggest thing I took from it was the vocals and the strength of the performances. I just had no idea what they were singing about (I saw it pre-cast recording and pre-off the charts hype), and had a hard time telling some of the characters apart from a distance, which is what really tainted it for me.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#1562The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/12/17 at 2:52pm

Gregory Treco made his Burr debut on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/treco27/status/818970087784935425

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGmV3MgUGD/?taken-by=treco27

JudyDenmark, it seems like you would have had him as your Burr. How was he?

Updated On: 1/12/17 at 02:52 PM

neonlightsxo
#1563The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/12/17 at 2:58pm

Treco has been on for Washington before. You can look on his instagram for evidence of that.

Hamilton also isn't his Broadway debut.

Updated On: 1/12/17 at 02:58 PM

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#1564The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/12/17 at 3:18pm

neonlightsxo said: "Treco has been on for Washington before. You can look on his instagram for evidence of that.

Hamilton also isn't his Broadway debut.
"

Fixed my post. Burr debut. As it was, according to his post: Tonight I am making my Broadway debut as Aaron Burr in @hamiltonmusical LIKE. RIGHT. NOW.

BroadwayConcierge
#1565The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/26/17 at 12:12pm

Sad to read that Javi's been out injured since January 13! His Twitter reveals he's been trying to get back but hasn't been permitted to. Says he's now aiming for a Saturday return.

JudyDenmark
#1566The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/26/17 at 12:52pm

sorano916 said: "Gregory Treco made his Burr debut on Tuesday. JudyDenmark, it seems like you would have had him as your Burr. How was he?"

He was good! I mean... I don't think they're gong to cast people for this who who aren't. I didn't have anyone to compare him to other than Leslie, and they played it differently, but I enjoyed his performance. 

Mmmmoni
#1567The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/28/17 at 9:55am

Saw the show last night after seeing the OBC last year and it was wonderful! 

MIchael Luwoye- he was absolutely phenomenal as Hamilton (even better than Lin). I'm not even bummed that I missed Javi. Cannot imagine anyone would be better than him!

Lexi Lawson- i actually really loved Lexi's Eliza. She was really sweet and her acting was great. My only complaint is that her "Burn" was a little too over the top for me. 

Brandon Victor Dixon - His Burr was completely different than Leslie's. He was a lot funnier(he made me laugh out loud a couple of times) and his Burr seemed to have a lot more ego than Leslie's. He didn't blow me away with "The Room Where It Happens" or "Wait for It" like Leslie did.

Mandy Gonzalez- I LOVED her Angelica. I feel like she played Angelica like a fiesty Latina (I am one so I loved it haha). Her "Satisfied" was one of my favorite moments and she gave me chills. I do think that Renee's "It's Quiet Uptown" packed a bigger emotional punch though.

Jordan Fisher- Absolutely wonderful! I think I might have liked him more than Anthony! "Take a Break" was hilarious.

Taran Kilam - I liked his King George! He did a good job but I think Groff was funnier (never saw Rory though)

Bryan Terrell Clark - I thought I was really going to miss Chris Jackson but I was wrong! He gave a really solid performance. Right Hand Man was awesome

J Quinton Johnson- sounded just like Oak! My niece said he was her favorite 

Seth Stewart - he was alright. His Jefferson didn't blow me away like Daveed's did. His Lafayette wasn't too great- I didn't like his French accent. 

Castle2
#1568The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 1/29/17 at 4:31am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Sad to read that Javi's been out injured since January 13! His Twitter reveals he's been trying to get back but hasn't been permitted to. Says he's now aiming for a Saturday return."

He performed the Wednesday matinee on January 18.  I was there and was looking out for signs of an injury, but there was nothing noticeable to me.  He's incredible, to perform so flawlessly through what I imagine must be quite painful.  I hope he heals quickly!

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#1570The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 2/1/17 at 11:25pm

This is kind of an odd, random question, but if anyone would know, it would be you guys. I am a huge Decemberists fan. They recently released The Crane Wife on vinyl with a foreword by LMM... my worlds are colliding.  I am not going to buy vinyl.  I don't have a record player, but I want to read LMM's essay.  Does anyone know where I could find it? I've tried Google.  Can't find it anywhere. Thanks if anyone can help.

BroadwayConcierge
#1571The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 2/15/17 at 10:25am

Does anybody know why there isn't an available BroadwayDirect lottery for tonight's performance?

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#1573The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 2/15/17 at 3:32pm

did they ever officially announce who the new Hamilton alternate is now that Michael Luwoye has left the Broadway production to lead the tour?

neonlightsxo

Videos