News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys- Page 3

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

MemorableUserName
#50WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 6:44pm

Deadline: The Tony Awards And The Writers Strike: What Happens If Broadway’s Big Night Has No Words?

https://deadline.com/2023/05/writers-strike-tony-awards-ariana-debose-broadway-1235357559/

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#51WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 8:22pm

djoko84 said: "Obviously most of the tweens on this board don't know how a strike works. Most people in front of the camera and behind-the-scenes are in a union. Regardless, if they're in the same union or not everyone sticks together. If another union strikes in the future, they'll need all the support they can get from the other unions. No one from the other unions will cross the picket line including Ariana DeBose. This includes the camera operators and sound people. If the wga strike is still going on then don't except a televised ceremony. You're all coming up with scenarios that are not realistic. There will be no concessions just for the Tony's. Just deal with it."

Where do you think you are? This is BY FAAAAAARRRRRR the oldest community within the online Broadway world. There's no way anywhere else is close to the old geezers that haunt these virtual halls (sorry guys, I love yah, but it's true). Tweens? Really? Give me a break. 

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#52WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 8:58pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Drew Barrymore has just withdrawn from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with the strike, which is something that I could 100% see DeBose doing. That show will now be hostless and will not have a red carpet or interviews beforehand either.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/drew-barrymore-mtv-movie-tv-awards-writers-strike-1235603357/
"

Update: the MTV Movie & TV Awards will no longer be live on Sunday, it is now a pre-taped ceremony with pre-taped acceptance speeches. 

2023 MTV Movie & TV Awards Will Not Be Held Live

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#53WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 9:11pm

How the Writers Guild strike could impact the 2023 Tony Awards broadcast

Past strikes have affected awards shows — what about this year?

https://www.broadwaynews.com/how-the-writers-guild-strike-could-impact-the-2023-tony-awards-broadcast/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#54WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 9:12pm

This is such a weird situation since the WGA and Broadway really only intersect at the Tonys.

The Broadway industry and the unions that work within it need the Tonys. I would like to see the WGA give their blessing for the Tonys to go on, perhaps with some stipulations (no written bits for example but still live performances and award distribution), so that those involved in the Tonys feel comfortable with it. And perhaps even advocate for the WGA during the ceremony.

It would really suck to see shows and Broadway suffer due to something that is not really related to them. I hope everyone does the right thing here. This is different than some of the other award shows that are directly involved with the WGA in terms of what they are awarding and honoring.

Updated On: 5/5/23 at 09:12 PM

djoko84
#55WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 9:49pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "This is such a weird situation since the WGA and Broadway really only intersect at the Tonys.

The Broadway industry and the unions that work within it need the Tonys. I would like to see the WGA give their blessing for the Tonys to go on, perhaps with some stipulations (no written bits for example but still live performances and award distribution), so that those involved in the Tonys feel comfortable with it. And perhaps even advocate for the WGA during the ceremony.

It would really suck to see shows and Broadway suffer due to something that is not really related to them. I hope everyone does the right thing here. This is different than some of the other award shows that are directly involved with the WGA in terms of what they are awarding and honoring.
"

This 100% relates to them. Everyone involved is in a union. Unions stick together. Everyone on broadway is part of a union. The reason I called this board tweens was because older people understand what a strike is and its purpose. The whole point is to disrupt and make these big companies feel some pain to give concessions to the union. How will they feel that if the WGA let's a show like the Tonys go on? It's either all or nothing. You obviously don't understand that. 

Mr. Wormwood
#56WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 10:00pm

djoko84 said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "This is such a weird situation since the WGA and Broadway really only intersect at the Tonys.

"

This 100% relates to them. Everyone involved is in a union. Unions stick together. Everyone on broadway is part of a union. The reason I called this board tweens was because older people understand what a strike is and its purpose. The whole point is to disrupt and make these big companies feel some pain to give concessions to the union. How will they feel that if the WGA let's a show like the Tonys go on? It's either all or nothing. You obviously don't understand that.
"

Thanks for the condescending lecture but I do understand how unions work. I'm in a union myself. Yes, unions stick together within the same field which is why I expect to see disruptions from unions like DGA, SAG and even IATSE. But Broadway is a different animal and they can be in solidarity without hurting themselves. It's not like you see Broadway shows cancelling performances or workshops or readings because of this the same way you see TV shows and movies shutting down because that wouldn't make any sense 

And let's be honest, the Tonys getting cancelled would hurt Actors Equity, Dramatists Guild and the crew unions a hell of a lot more than it would hurt CBS/Paramount because it's not like the Tonys are some cash cow for them.

djoko84
#57WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 2:43pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "djoko84 said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "This is such a weird situation since the WGA and Broadway really only intersect at the Tonys.

"

"

Thanks for the condescending lecture but I do understand how unions work. I'm in a union myself. Yes, unions stick together within the same field which is why I expect to see disruptions from unions like DGA, SAG and even IATSE. But Broadway is a different animal and they can be in solidarity without hurting themselves. It's not like you see Broadway shows cancelling performances or workshops or readings because of this the same way you see TV shows and movies shutting down because that wouldn't make any sense

And let's be honest, the Tonys getting cancelled would hurt Actors Equity, Dramatists Guild and the crew unions a hell of a lot more than it would hurt CBS/Paramount because it's not like the Tonys are some cash cow for them.
"

Anything getting cancelled hurts everyone, but that's the risk you take by going on strike. You don't get what you want by giving concessions to people. As someone who is in a union, I'm surprised you don't see that. I'm actually in the WGA and like I said before, it's all or nothing. You can't start making concessions because then you won't be taken seriously. The whole point is for companies to see what it's like without the writers. Yes, these shows get hurt, but again, that's the point of a strike. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#58WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 2:55pm

Sorry to break the news to you, but neither one of you understands what you are talking about. 

Mr. Wormwood
#59WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 3:25pm

djoko84 said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "djoko84 said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "This is such a weird situation since the WGA and Broadway really only intersect at the Tonys.

"

"

"

Anything getting cancelled hurts everyone, but that's the risk you take by going on strike. You don't get what you want by giving concessions to people. As someone who is in a union, I'm surprised you don't see that. I'm actually in the WGA and like I said before, it's all or nothing. You can't start making concessions because then you won't be taken seriously. The whole point is for companies to see what it's like without the writers. Yes, these shows get hurt, but again, that's the point of a strike.
"

So why aren't Broadway workshops & readings and show developments getting cancelled in solidarity? Broadway is going along as usual in all facets except for the Tonys?

Mr. Wormwood
#60WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 3:25pm

HogansHero said: "Sorry to break the news to you, but neither one of you understands what you are talking about."

Care to elaborate?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#61WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 4:19pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "Care to elaborate?"

Not really but I will just highlight, as an example, the last thing you posted above. You said:

"So why aren't Broadway workshops & readings and show developments getting cancelled in solidarity? Broadway is going along as usual in all facets except for the Tonys?"   

No "facet" of Broadway involves any labor under the WGA contract. Accordingly, cancelling any stage work "in solidarity" would not only be a non-sequitur, it would also be illegal. 

Mr. Wormwood
#62WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 4:31pm

HogansHero said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Care to elaborate?"

Not really but I will just highlight, as an example, the last thing you posted above. You said:

"So why aren't Broadway workshops & readings and show developments getting cancelled in solidarity? Broadway is going along as usual in all facets except for the Tonys?"

No "facet" of Broadway involves any labor under the WGA contract. Accordingly, cancelling any stage work "in solidarity" would not only be a non-sequitur, it would also be illegal.
"

That was my point... Maybe the sarcasm didn't read well but that was a sarcastic response to djoko84 because I know none of the labor on Broadway has to do with the WGA.

djoko84 said above "it's all or nothing" and my point was that Broadway is not really part of what the WGA (and SAG, DGA, IATSE, etc) are involved in. The only thing in a Broadway calendar that involves the WGA is the Tonys so it feels a little ridiculous to cancel an event for an industry that has very little to do with the WGA.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#63WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 5:52pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "That was my point... Maybe the sarcasm didn't read well but that was a sarcastic response to djoko84 because I know none of the labor on Broadway has to do with the WGA.

djoko84 said above "it's all or nothing" and my point was that Broadway is not really part of what the WGA (and SAG, DGA, IATSE, etc) are involved in. The only thing in a Broadway calendar that involves the WGA is the Tonys so it feels a little ridiculous to cancel an event for an industry that has very little to do with the WGA.
"

Sorry but you are still very mixed up. The "event" of the Tonys is not being cancelled; it is the television broadcast that would be cancelled if it does not circumnavigate the WGA agreement in an acceptable way (as has been rehearsed earlier in this thread). The event could go on without pickets if it were not broadcast or if any broadcast carefully avoided any reliance whatsoever on scripted content. If there are pickets, some/many/most/all members of any allied union would decline to cross that picket line and that would be highly likely to result in a cancellation of the broadcast (even though WGA is precluded from making such a request of other unions and their members). At its root, what you do not understand is that it has nothing to do with the extent to which the subject of the awards (i.e., Broadway shows in this case) have any relationship with the WGA. The same situation would arise if it were a show passing out awards to dentists.

Mr. Wormwood
#64WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 6:08pm

HogansHero said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "That was my point... Maybe the sarcasm didn't read well but that was a sarcastic response to djoko84 because I know none of the labor on Broadway has to do with the WGA.

"

Sorry but you are still very mixed up. The "event" of the Tonys is not being cancelled; it is the television broadcast that would be cancelled if it does not circumnavigate the WGA agreement in an acceptable way (as has been rehearsed earlier in this thread). The event could go on without pickets if it were not broadcast or if any broadcast carefully avoided any reliance whatsoever on scripted content. If there are pickets, some/many/most/all members of any allied union would decline to cross that picket line and that would be highly likely to result in a cancellation of the broadcast (even though WGA is precluded from making such a request of other unions and their members). At its root, what you do not understand is that it has nothing to do with the extent to which the subject of the awards (i.e., Broadway shows in this case) have any relationship with the WGA. The same situation would arise if it were a show passing out awards to dentists.

"

I am not mixed up at all. I understand the Tony ceremony and the televised Tonys are two different things being discussed. I never meant that I thought Tonys wouldn't be awarded. Every time I've referred to the Tony Awards or the "event" in this thread, I meant the televised ceremony. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

What I am saying (and have said earlier in this thread) is I would like to see the WGA give their blessing for the event to occur (televised) with modifications (such as no scripted bits as they did in the 1988 Tonys, which also happened during a WGA Strike, to my understanding). I think if they did, you would have some of the presenters and/or winners actually support the WGA from the stage.

My point was that the televised Tony ceremony not going on is not really going to hurt CBS/Paramount, among the corporations the WGA is picketing, it is going to hurt the people involved in the Broadway unions because struggling shows won't get the exposure that could really help them play at least through the summer (I know typically no awards besides Best Musical lead to a long lasting box office bump). Especially with YouTube, televised Tony performances live on forever. Simply handing out awards in a non-televised broadcast is not going to have the same effect on the box office or a show's health even after it closes on Broadway (how many times do Tony Award performances get watched by amateur and school directors and performers? I'd wager a lot).

For those reasons, I would like to see the WGA actively work with the Tonys to ensure the televised show can go on. That's what I was disagreeing with djoko84 about, who thinks that would be a non-starter whereas I think they could and should work together to make sure the televised Tonys can happen.

Updated On: 5/6/23 at 06:08 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#65WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 6:36pm

I've had several people argue that there should be some kind of exemption or waiver for the Tonys because Broadway needs a televised ceremony to go on.

If the WGA decides to make that exemption, that's on them. But giving an exemption during such a high-stakes (and extremely well-supported) strike such as this fundamentally undercuts the strike action. Once that door is opened just a crack, it leads to more demanding entry. Not to mention, DGA and SAG's contracts are also expiring soon- next month, in fact- which will make the solidarity here even more important and necessary.

Strikes are meant to be disruptive and cause some degree of pain, even collaterally. That's why they are the very last option on the table.

Let's be clear: we are here not because of the WGA, but AMPTP. If the Tonys do not go forward as a televised event, then the blame can be pinned entirely on them.

Hopefully the Tonys had writers working to come up with some really basic stuff about the nominees and season overall they can use in a ceremony in the days before the strike was called.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/6/23 at 06:36 PM

Mr. Wormwood
#66WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 6:45pm

Kad said: "I've had several people argue that there should be some kind of exemption or waiver for the Tonys because Broadway needs a televised ceremony to go on.

If the WGA decides to make that exemption, that's on them. But giving an exemption during such a high-stakes (and extremely well-supported) strike such as this fundamentally undercuts the strike action. Once that door is opened just a crack, it leads to more demanding entry. Not to mention, DGA and SAG's contracts are also expiring soon- next month, in fact- which will make the solidarity here even more important and necessary.

Strikes are meant to be disruptive and cause some degree of pain, even collaterally. That's why they are the very last option on the table.

Let's be clear: we are here not because of the WGA, but AMPTP. If the Tonys do not go forward as a televised event, then the blame can be pinned entirely on them.

Hopefully the Tonys had writers working to come up with some really basic stuff about the nominees and season overall they can use in a ceremony in the days before the strike was called.
"

I understand that, I really do. But I feel like this is not the same as the Emmys, Oscars, GGs, even the MTV Awards because they are not honoring the work that is done by WGA members or people who benefit directly from the work of WGA members (saying or directing their words for example). It feels like the televised Tonys ceremony is something that is unfortunately only tangentially related but now caught in the crosshairs.

AMPTP is to be blamed for the strike for sure. But I still think WGA could consider an exception here. I would not advise the same thing for the Emmys in September if the strike were still going on then. Those are different situations IMO.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#67WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 6:46pm

It's also worth reminding that a lot of theatre writers are also members of WGA if they've done screenwriting work (which many have and many more would like to get). They're not going to want to be perceived as undermining this strike in any way, which would have potentially severe professional repercussions.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#68WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 6:54pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "Kad said: "I've had several people argue that there should be some kind of exemption or waiver for the Tonys because Broadway needs a televised ceremony to go on.

"

I understand that, I really do. But I feel like this is not the same as the Emmys, Oscars, GGs, even the MTV Awards because they are not honoring the work that is done by WGA members or people who benefit directly from the work of WGA members (saying or directing their words for example). It feels like the televised Tonys ceremony is something that is unfortunately only tangentially related but now caught in the crosshairs.

AMPTP is to be blamed for the strike for sure. But I still think WGA could consider an exception here. I would not advise the same thing for the Emmys in September if the strike were still going on then. Those are different situations IMO.
"

It is not tangentially related.

The Tonys as we know them are a television event first and foremost. What the event is about is beside the point- it could be honoring theatre or it could be honoring pastry chefs, it doesn't matter. It's a scripted event for television and that requires WGA writers.

The Tonys being affected by this strike only further bolsters the point: that WGA writers are an integral part of the entertainment industry. Any squishiness on that point weakens the case- it says some work matters more, or matters differently. It says WGA writers should swallow whatever terms they're given on this project. which implies other projects should be likewise considered.

It may be blasphemous to say here, but the financial well-being of a handful of Broadway shows is not the priority of WGA.

Updated On: 5/6/23 at 06:54 PM

Mr. Wormwood
#69WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/6/23 at 7:03pm

Kad said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Kad said: "I've had several people argue that there should be some kind of exemption or waiver for the Tonys because Broadway needs a televised ceremony to go on.

"

"

It is not tangentially related.

The Tonys as we know them are a television event first and foremost. What the event is about is beside the point- it could be honoring theatre or it could be honoring pastry chefs, it doesn't matter. It's a scripted event for television and that requires WGA writers.

The Tonys being affected by this strike only further bolsters the point: that WGA writers are an integral part of the entertainment industry. Any squishiness on that point weakens the case- it says some work matters more, or matters differently. It says WGA writers should swallow whatever terms they're given on this project. which implies other projects should be likewise considered.

It may be blasphemous to say here, but the financial well-being of a handful of Broadway shows is not the priority of WGA.

"

We'll have to agree to disagree. I support the WGA. I am a huge fan of scripted television in particular. But I could do without any scripted bits at the Tonys (that frankly aren't usually that enjoyable) if I could see the performances and winners' speeches.

I hear what you're saying that it doesn't matter how big or little the work is. I get that it doesn't matter if it's Succession or the Tonys. I just think the people hurt by the Tony televised ceremony not happening will be the rank and file of Broadway and their own unions and that's what I would like to not see happen. I understand your point though.

Updated On: 5/6/23 at 07:03 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#70WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/7/23 at 12:16am

Kad has done his usual excellent job of trying to explain this to you. I'm not going to retrace what he or I have said. A couple of points. 

1. I continue to believe that it is extremely unlikely there is not going to be any kind of "deal." 

2. No one needs WGA's permission to do an unscripted show. No one needs WGA's permission to do a scripted show that is not broadcast. If what is done is beyond WGA's jurisdiction, there is nothing to discuss. The problem is that there is a fine line between scripted and unscripted when people start talking into a camera and microphone because people are going to write clever things down to say whether they are "writers" or not. Some will see the effort to game the contract as a reason to stay away; the only real question is whether there will be a groundswell, and when that will be clear. As I said before, risk is the great determinant here.

3. I continue to believe that the results of the voting will be announced on June 11 whether in a not very telegenic broadcast (possibly with taped show performances to sweeten it up) or merely in a press release promising some TV show later, after the strike is over. 

4. The best solution is that a new contract is agreed to by the end of the month. I think I may have said this before but I do not envy those that are trying to juggle right now without dropping any of the balls.  

Mr. Wormwood
#71WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/7/23 at 12:42am

Hogan, I really don't know why you continue to think I don't understand things and it needs to be explained to me. I understand all of it and I think we agree on most of this. Look back and my posts in this thread make that pretty clear. I don't understand the condescension in the posts. Anyways...

#1 is what I've been advocating for the whole time. The whole back and forth started when someone said it was "all or nothing" and a deal wasn't possible.

#2 I don't need this explained to me. I understand that completely. But without some kind of deal I have a feeling that the actors won't show up and this force the hand of the Tonys to pivot to something else. That is what I hope can be avoided.

#3 I agree. But I really hope it's not a press release because Broadway needs more than that now.

#4 From everything I have read, a deal by June 11 seems very unlikely. But we'll see...

Updated On: 5/7/23 at 12:42 AM

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#72WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/7/23 at 12:43am

Imagine being told, “You can't start making concessions because then you won't be taken seriously” and being met with “we’ll have to agree to disagree”. Just say you’re not with/for the WGA. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Mr. Wormwood
#73WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/7/23 at 12:51am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Imagine being told, “You can't start making concessions because then you won't be taken seriously” and being met with “we’ll have to agree to disagree”. Just say you’re not with/for the WGA."

It's not unprecedented for the WGA to carve out exceptions or waivers. They have done this in the past. All I am saying is I hope they do that again. 

I'm sure the WGA is not 100% in lockstep on all of these minute details. People who want an exception for the Tonys and people who don't can still both be on the WGA side. Geeze.

Oh and also, I am not suggesting WGA members write for this year's Tonys. I am saying I hope the union gives their blessing for the show to go on (I know they don't HAVE to for it to go on) so that actors and those involved feel ok participating without feeling like they're betraying the WGA.

Updated On: 5/7/23 at 12:51 AM

bear88
#74WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/7/23 at 2:29am

I am skeptical there will be a quick settlement, and in the meantime, WGA picketed New York City locations where television shows, already-written, are being filmed this week. The Tony Awards would be an even bigger target, so that means every performer and writer and attendee would have to cross a well-publicized WGA picket line. Is that sustainable, even if the show is nominally unscripted?

I read somewhere that the 1988 Tony Awards went ahead, with Angela Lansbury as host, during a WGA strike. I don't know if that's accurate, or if that show is any sort of model for what the Tony Awards could look like next month. 

The Tony Awards are sort of unique because it's a long promo for Broadway musicals that, mostly, are running now. All the new musicals are struggling and could use the boost a nationally televised show could provide. We all focus on how well the shows did in promoting themselves with their performances because sometimes it seems to matter. And in most years, though not in 2022, the Best Musical winner gets a boost. Would there be much of a boost if the winning show isn't televised and the focus is on the television show being cancelled or postponed indefinitely?

Videos