News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys- Page 2

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#25WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 4/30/23 at 9:22pm

darquegk said: "The Macy’s Day Parade was unscripted and improvised during a previous writer’s strike. As that’s the other big Broadway commercial, I can see the same thing happening here."

Skimming online through the first hour of the 2007 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, it seems that Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira had a proper introduction for every Broadway show — thus, it felt to me like any other parade. 

Oh look, a bibu!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 4/30/23 at 9:24pm

But are news anchors in Actors Equity or any of the sister unions? I could see a lot of the sister unions not wanting to participate. 

Islander_fan
#27WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 4/30/23 at 10:08pm

RippedMan said: "But are news anchors in Actors Equity or any of the sister unions? I could see a lot of the sister unions not wanting to participate."

When it comes to news anchors, they are in SAG-AFTRA and the writers of news programming are part of WGA. Equity is only for the stage. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 9:35am

Equity members cannot take work that would fall under SAG-AFTRA jurisdiction without a SAG-AFTRA contract. So if SAG-AFTRA supports a WGA strike, Equity does too. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#29WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 10:33am

I really don't know the intricacies of this, so please please please correct me if there's anything I say here that's egregiously wrong, but I have a hard time seeing this get in their way. I think they go full steam ahead and just steamroll over or work around the limitations. 

I can't remember the specific bits she did, but Ariana's opener was not specific to the nominated shows at all. I think if they have any brains, they already have it and some generic bits for her written. 

If they don't already do this, I think they have the performing shows write their own intros. 

And then that leaves witty banter between presenters. Who knows, maybe they already have some of that figured out (it doesn't have to be specific to the shows or even the category)? If not, just don't do it. The whole thing will run faster if they don't do that stuff anyways. People aren't watching for witty banter among the presenters, they're watching for performances and to see who wins (which really means what shows to go see)

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#30WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 11:21am

CBS and the American Theater Wing know a strike is likely and are not stupid, and likely are preparing for a ceremony/telecast that happens in the event of a strike. The first sign of that was going with Ariana DeBose as host over the seemingly predestined host with the move uptown of Lin Manuel Miranda. Miranda is a member of the WGA and hosting would put him in a predicament with the union in the event of a strike. DeBose on the other hand is only a SAG and Equity member, the former of which stated while they support the WGA, members should still go to work. 

Second while I know some have pointed to the 2008 Golden Globes, the 2008 SAG awards went off without a hitch with WGA granting a waiver a month before the ceremony. I have to assume the American Theater Wing is in the middle of ironing out, but cannot announce it until the strike officially begins. 

Third regarding the Golden Globes, in their statement at the time the WGA chose to picket the Globes because it was produced by Dick Clark Productions, a production company that was being struck at the time. The Tony Awards are produced by Tony Award Productions a joint venture between the American Theater Wing and The Broadway League, two entities that are not involved in the strike outside of the Tony Awards. Thus pointing to the likelihood of a waiver and agreement not to picket the event. 

Fourth remember the WGA is not involved in Broadway, theater writers are represented by the Dramatists Guild. While some members may belong to both of are both WGA and DGA, and actors belong to both Equity and SAG, theater is a different industry that they only work on during the Tony Awards. Thus for the WGA not to agree to a waiver and in doing so severely hurt an industry just starting to recover from the pandemic, it would ruffle a lot of feather and could backfire significantly more than staying "Union Strong". As there are at least 4 productions Some Like It Hot, Kimberly AkimboShucked, and Life of Pi whose entire runs are looking to be dependent on the Tony Awards and if they don't happen several hundreds of jobs will likely lost will be on the WGA's hands. 

But back to the strike proofing though, the waiver does not mean that WGA workers can work on the Tonys. Tt only means that their will not be a picket line at the ceremony. It will still be up to Debose, to come up with her opening number/monologue, any bits performed during the show, and presenter banter themselves. As the Tony's are much more reliant on performances than bits and banter, I would just assume they extend the amount of time each production is given and the opening number to be a mash up over an original song. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#31WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 11:53am

A few additional comments.

1. It's the league not the wing that is/would be negotiating or, more specifically, it's conduit (most likely imo: an agent or LMM). I don't think LMM was angling for a hosting gig. 

2. There is a constituency for cutting the original songwriting and "witty banter." The school of thought is that more often than not the product is not great and eliminating it would enable the presentation of all awards within the three CBS hours, a major positive achievement. Also, even without that constituency, it would make things work. 

3. Virtually no chance of allowing writers to work on the show. 

JSquared2
#32WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 12:10pm

jkcohen626 said: "I really don't know the intricacies of this, so please please please correct me if there's anything I say here that's egregiously wrong, but I have a hard time seeing this get in their way. I think they go full steam ahead and just steamroll over or work around the limitations.

I can't remember the specific bits she did, but Ariana's opener was not specific to the nominated shows at all. I think if they have any brains, they already have it and some generic bits for her written.

If they don't already do this, I think they have the performing shows write their own intros.

And then that leaves witty banter between presenters. Who knows, maybe they already have some of that figured out (it doesn't have to be specific to the shows or even the category)? If not, just don't do it. The whole thing will run faster if they don't do that stuff anyways. People aren't watching for witty banter among the presenters, they're watching for performances and to see who wins (which really means what shows to go see)
"

I love banter But I hate witty banter - Misc - quickmeme

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#33WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 1:01pm

jkcohen626 said: "I really don't know the intricacies of this, so please please please correct me if there's anything I say here that's egregiously wrong, but I have a hard time seeing this get in their way. I think they go full steam ahead and just steamroll over or work around the limitations.

"

I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works. If the project is not filmed before the strike occurs they can't move forward with scripts that are written but not filmed. 

JSquared2
#34WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 1:05pm

TheatreFan4 said: "jkcohen626 said: "I really don't know the intricacies of this, so please please please correct me if there's anything I say here that's egregiously wrong, but I have a hard time seeing this get in their way. I think they go full steam ahead and just steamroll over or work around the limitations.

"

I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works. If the project is not filmed before the strike occurs they can't move forward with scripts that are written but not filmed.
"

That is incorrect.  Theoretically, scripts for movies and TV shows that have already been written could go on being filmed and produced -- unless the other unions refuse to cross picket lines (which is quite likely to  happen).

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#35WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 1:06pm

TheatreFan4 said: "jkcohen626 said: "I really don't know the intricacies of this, so please please please correct me if there's anything I say here that's egregiously wrong, but I have a hard time seeing this get in their way. I think they go full steam ahead and just steamroll over or work around the limitations.

"

"

The are allowed to use any material written before the strike. Its just no union writers can work or contribute to the broadcast until the strike is settled. 

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#36WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 2:11pm

The are allowed to use any material written before the strike. Its just no union writers can work or contribute to the broadcast until the strike is settled."

One thing to add to this is that may or may not be obvious is that the WGA's strike guidelines also extend to non-union writers, so in a hypothetical scenario where a strike occurs and non-WGA writers (or anyone including the host, producers, etc) contributes new material for the telecast, that would considered picket line crossing, regardless of whether there's a waiver in place or not.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 5/1/23 at 02:11 PM

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#37WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 11:56pm

Breaking News: We all knew it was coming but the strike is now official

"The Board of Directors of the @WGAwest and the Council of the @WGAeast, acting upon the authority granted to them by their memberships, have voted unanimously to call a strike, effective 12:01 AM, Tuesday, May 2. The decision was made following six weeks of negotiating with @Netflix, @Amazon, @Apple, @Disney, @wbd, @NBCUniversal, @Paramountplus, and @Sony under the umbrella of the AMPTP. Though our Negotiating Committee began this process intent on making a fair deal, the studios’ responses have been wholly insufficient given the existential crisis writers are facing. Picketing will begin tomorrow afternoon."

https://twitter.com/WGAWest/status/1653242408195457025

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#38WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/1/23 at 11:59pm

Here we go! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

pippy1
#39WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:02am

"

So my daughter is SAG and she received an email today from SAG. It appears (and I could be misreading this) but award shows are under a different contract, along with soaps, news programs, etc. Now, that doesn't mean they won't follow the WGA strike - sister unions often support, although if under currently contract as actor they can't strike. But the award shows are a bit more unclear.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#40WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/4/23 at 2:57pm

Drew Barrymore has just withdrawn from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with the strike, which is something that I could 100% see DeBose doing. That show will now be hostless and will not have a red carpet or interviews beforehand either.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/drew-barrymore-mtv-movie-tv-awards-writers-strike-1235603357/

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#41WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/4/23 at 3:27pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Drew Barrymore has just withdrawn from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with the strike, which is something that I could 100% see DeBose doing. That show will now be hostless and will not have a red carpet or interviews beforehand either.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/drew-barrymore-mtv-movie-tv-awards-writers-strike-1235603357/
"

I still think that there is a distinct difference in something celebrating the fruits of WGA members' labor and celebrating a non movie or TV medium. 

The WGA and everyone who participated in 2008 Grammys knew this at the time and I think the WGA, Ariana, and others potentially participating in the Tonys all will again. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#42WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/4/23 at 4:05pm

jkcohen626 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Drew Barrymore has just withdrawn from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with the strike, which is something that I could 100% see DeBose doing. That show will now be hostless and will not have a red carpet or interviews beforehand either.

"

I still think that there is a distinct difference in something celebrating the fruits of WGA members' labor and celebrating a non movie or TV medium.

The WGA and everyone who participated in 2008 Grammys knew this at the time and I think the WGA, Ariana, and others potentially participating in the Tonys all will again.
"

This materially misapprehends the essence of a strike (and this strike). The strike is not about what is being celebrated but that the writers are being asked to write for television. It is 2023 and the stakes are very high. There will be no casual agreements. If the Tonys are to go forward, a carefully crafted format will have to be established and agreed to. As I have said elsewhere, the risk is that people start bailing at the last minute because they see that games are being played with the setup. 

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#43WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/4/23 at 4:55pm

HogansHero said: "jkcohen626 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Drew Barrymore has just withdrawn from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards in solidarity with the strike, which is something that I could 100% see DeBose doing. That show will now be hostless and will not have a red carpet or interviews beforehand either.

"

"

This materially misapprehends the essence of a strike (and this strike). The strike is not about what is being celebrated but that the writers are being asked to write for television. It is 2023 and the stakes are very high. There will be no casual agreements. If the Tonys are to go forward, a carefully crafted format will have to be established and agreed to. As I have said elsewhere, the risk is that people start bailing at the last minute because they see that games are being played with the setup.
"

As usual, thank you Hogan -- this was what I was trying to get at as well. Additionally, no amount of "good will", or not wanting to see a related industry fail, or argument that it "isn't the same" is meaningless. If you take a moment to look at the credits that flash by at the tail end of any awards ceremony, you'll see a *ton* of writers involved...all of which are WGA. And if "good will" comes into play at all, it'll be the reverse -- SAG-AFTRA or similar not crossing the picket line. 

verywellthensigh
#44WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/4/23 at 5:08pm

I say we just push presenters out there and have them improvise.  Lets make the Tonys spicy this year.

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#45WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/4/23 at 9:12pm

Agree with all of the above. The stakes here are significantly higher than they were in 2007 and notably, there's a sense that the other unions are falling in line behind the WGA, as everyone across the board is being shafted by the studios and streamers - unlike before, many of the issues the WGA is fighting for are the same concerns that SAG-AFRTA, the DGA & IATSE are bringing to the table in their own negotiations later this month.

I don't think there is any willingness right now to make exceptions for anyone, no matter how much the telecast matters to Broadway and it's box office. As someone mentioned earlier, the goal of a strike is to cause disruption & it's highly unlikely that this will be resolved by June 11. Like Hogan said, the Tony telecast will still happen, but it will look different than years past.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 5/4/23 at 09:12 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#46WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 12:52am

yes, the optics are much different now than in 07-08. We know hosting & presenting at the Tonys is a bum gig –– more of a civic duty than an honor –– and if there's even a whiff of controversy around doing that, there's no reason why any public figure worth their salt should participate.

People continually cite the 2008 Grammys, but that was also more than 3 months into the strike when there was a willingness to budge and try to have some sense of normalcy. Making an exception for the Tonys this early in the game dilutes the strike. This year, timing-wise, a closer thing to the 08 Grammys would be the 2023 Emmys (slated for Sept 18th).

Updated On: 5/5/23 at 12:52 AM

djoko84
#47WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 3:29am

Obviously most of the tweens on this board don't know how a strike works. Most people in front of the camera and behind-the-scenes are in a union. Regardless, if they're in the same union or not everyone sticks together. If another union strikes in the future, they'll need all the support they can get from the other unions. No one from the other unions will cross the picket line including Ariana DeBose. This includes the camera operators and sound people. If the wga strike is still going on then don't except a televised ceremony. You're all coming up with scenarios that are not realistic. There will be no concessions just for the Tony's. Just deal with it. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#48WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 5:40pm

In a recent Theater Mania article, they go over the possibility:

Could the strike affect the Tony Awards telecast?

This is one way the strike could significantly impact Broadway in the immediate future. The jokes, transitions, and intro number for host Ariana DeBose would all normally be written by WGA writers, who won’t cross picket lines for a major event on CBS (a subsidiary of Paramount, one of the major members of the AMPTP). The WGA could grant the Tonys a waiver to go on with the show as normal, although they didn’t do it for the Golden Globes in 2008, which were announced via press conference that year.

Will the Tonys have to downsize in a similar manner? Will the show go on, but with no jokes and cutesy musical numbers shouting out all the nominees? Are the Tony producers actively lobbying the WGA for a waiver? Or are they hoping the whole thing will blow over before June 11? I don’t have the answers to any of these questions, and multiple requests for comment from the official spokespeople of the awards went unanswered at time of publication.

As I’ve written on numerous occasions, the Tony Awards are Broadway’s infomercial, selling New York’s latest stage offerings to potential ticket-buyers across America. It’s the reason we put so much emphasis on this event, the cancellation of which would be detrimental to an industry still recovering from the pandemic shutdown.

https://www.theatermania.com/news/story-of-the-week-hollywood-writers-are-on-strike-what-does-this-mean-for-the-theater_1701231/?smclient=22fbe449-7118-11ed-bcae-18cf24ce3548&utm_source=salesmanago&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DailyNewsletter-May5th

chrishuyen
#49WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/5/23 at 5:48pm

(mostly joking) Could we just get the Freestyle Love Supreme crew to host it and just improv everything?  Then again, their last Tonys appearance was just...bizarre.

Videos