News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys- Page 5

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

Playbill_Trash
#100WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:29pm

I know this is not easy and does not happen with the wave of a magic wand, but a good contingency plan would be each show filming a quality performance in their respective theatre now to have in the bank to use as a “Tony performance” just in case.

I understand this costs a lot of money and time and they would need to gather another audience for it, but maybe these are calls each show should make now?

Cue everyone on these boards lecturing about how difficult that would be. I just think producers should be smart about reading the tea leaves one month out.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#101WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:38pm

I think all five best musical nominees film their performance in their own theaters. Plus, A BEAUTIFUL NOISE. They can probably cut back the Awards to just two hours, too.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

troynow
#102WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:40pm

I assume postponement. I can not see Ariana Debose crossing a picket line to host The Tony Awards. While I believe it will mean the closure of some shows, Just not possible to have awards while the WGA is on strike,

JSquared2
#103WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:43pm

troynow said: "I assume postponement. I can not see Ariana Debose crossing a picket line to host The Tony Awards. While I believe it will mean the closure of some shows, Just not possible to have awards while the WGA is on strike,"

Not gonna happen. Postponement is not an option under consideration. Not by CBS and not by the Broadway League.

chrishuyen
#104WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:45pm

I could be wrong, but wouldn't still hosting the Tonys not be crossing a picket line as long as they don't use any material written by the WGA?  Or is it more of the fact that the Tonys are being aired on CBS?  There's been a lot of back and forth on this thread so I'm not too clear on the specifics.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#105WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 1:59pm

chrishuyen said: "I could be wrong, but wouldn't still hosting the Tonys not be crossing a picket line as long as they don't use any material written by the WGA? Or is it more of the fact that the Tonys are being aired on CBS? There's been a lot of back and forth on this thread so I'm not too clear on the specifics."

If the WGA decide to strike at the Tony's and set up a picket like at the entrance to the United Palace theater, DeBose would not cross it. As there has we are yet to have a statement either way on a waiver to hire WGA writers or a promise not to picket Debose is currently working on segments with producers without writers, but if they announce that they will Picket the Tony Awards Debose will stop all work. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#106WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 3:38pm

Yeah, nobody on Broadway besides maybe some producers would cross a picket line. Not Ariana, not the nominees, not the performers, not the presenters. 

If it's gonna be picketed, there will be no life event. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#107WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:15pm

There is still a lot being written in this thread that is unsupportable. It has been countered and not worth repeating. Beyond that observation, just one more thing worth mentioning. 

Re Ariana ad-libbing as host, there is a school of thought that I have heard that anything for which she makes notes (including notes from a director e.g. constitutes a writing and likewise anything rehearsed. If that is the WGA position, neither she nor any presenter is crossing. Likewise, no announcer. So without some very tight conditions that might be deemed acceptable, it seems like the best that could be expected would be some sort of glorified news show in which, e.g., the accountants announce the results, perhaps with a lot of graphics and video.  To me, the one thing that is least like to happen is a postponement.

troynow
#108WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:33pm

Well then someone tell Lin Manuel because he just pulled OUT! 
CBS may have a contract but we have AEA which is standing in solidarity with the WGA. Both writer's are working on Broadway shows currently and TV shows. They are not crossing the picket line. 

Damn the "contract" Broadway will be supporting THE WGA. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#109WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 5:27pm

jkcohen626 said: "If it's gonna be picketed, there will be no life event."

I'm extremely green about these issues, but assuming that the Tony Awards go on without a script, what business would the WGA have picketing the event? What would their grievance be against its participants? 

I would hope the WGA could make their specific concerns clear in advance, so that the Tony Awards could accommodate them and go on without a picket. Delaying the awards indefinitely would not be a reasonable demand.

Updated On: 5/9/23 at 05:27 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#110WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/9/23 at 9:55pm

kdogg36 said: "jkcohen626 said: "If it's gonna be picketed, there will be no life event."

I'm extremely green about these issues, but assuming that the Tony Awards go on without a script, what business would the WGA have picketing the event? What would their grievance be against its participants?

I would hope the WGA could make their specific concerns clear in advance, so that the Tony Awards could accommodate them and go on without a picket. Delaying the awards indefinitely would not be a reasonable demand.
"

That's what I've been saying and I know there are others on this thread who vehemently disagree. We all know that it will not happen live if any actors have to cross a picket line to make it happen. So I certainly hope the Tonys will talk to the WGA and be proactive about asking what would be acceptable - what would their terms be - to avoid a picket. I know they don't HAVE to do that. But I feel like it might be the best for all involved. 

djoko84
#111WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 1:15am

I'm not sure people on this board really understand how a strike works. If the WGA "works with" the Tony Awards then that's working with the production company and thr network that is putting them on. That would directly go against the strike and what they're trying to accomplish. There's no "working with" the Tonys to put on a show.

Islander_fan
#112WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 3:32am

First of all, people here are talking as if the Tonys are some major event. Sure, to us, maybe since we all love theatre. But, to the rest of the country? It isn’t. Jut look at the abysmal railings it gets year after year. Hell, I wouldn’t be shocked if not too far down the line, CBS decided to put all on Paramount Plus as a live stream. But, with all that, the writers guild would be stupid to even think of working with the the televised production team. It would weaken their stance. If the awards program were to air, without any writers and everyone talking without a script then that would be ok. It may not look good but that is the only way I can think of where the telecast can go on.

For example, during the last writers strike, Jon Stewart went back to do The Daily Show along with John Oliver. It was just the two of them. They are both guild writers and the show was basically Stewart talking to the camera for a half hour improving it. Oliver, being British and at that time here on a work visa, couldn’t join the picket lines. He stated at the time that while he was able to be a member of the WGA he just couldn’t protest. If you’re here on a work visa and do protest you could risk deportation. 

Let’s face it, people know what the Tonys are. If a family is planning to come to NYC in the summer/fall and they see that a show advertises that it won a Tony (doesn’t matter for what) people will be more inclined to see it and that would have the same impact that it always does. 

Mr. Wormwood
#113WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 10:09am

djoko84 said: "I'm not sure people on this board really understand how a strike works. If the WGA "works with" the Tony Awards then that's working with the production company and thr network that is putting them on. That would directly go against the strike and what they're trying to accomplish. There's no "working with" the Tonys to put on a show."

I don't mean the WGA should work with the Tonys to put on a show. What I'm suggesting is the American Theatre Wing approaches the WGA and says "what type of show could we put on that would be acceptable to the WGA so that a picket doesn't happen?" Would the WGA be ok with live performances still and just someone reading the nominees and winners with acceptance speeches but no opening bit or presenter banter for example? Would the WGA picket any live televised ceremony? It's worth having those conversations and finding that information out so there is not an embarrassing situation.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#114WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 12:14pm

Let’s face it, people know what the Tonys are. If a family is planning to come to NYC in the summer/fall and they see that a show advertises that it won a Tony (doesn’t matter for what) people will be more inclined to see it and that would have the same impact that it always does. 

Good point. There are many ways of advertising your show these days but seeing a really great performance at the Tonys will always be good for the show. 

Could the Tonys just not happen at all this year? Or would they postpone it if this strike continues through the Summer? 

Updated On: 5/10/23 at 12:14 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#115WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 12:28pm

Didn't they do a whole awards show that was 'improvised' during the last strike? I mean, they could very easily cut out any "banter" and just present the awards and show performances. Maybe not the best solution, but I'm sure they're working furiously to figure out how to best present the show. I think we'd all be for more performances and less talking.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#116WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 1:21pm

I can't imagine many people being disappointed by a 2 hour broadcast that was just performances, handing out awards, and an in memoriam.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr. Wormwood
#117WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 3:04pm

Kad said: "I can't imagine many people being disappointed by a 2 hour broadcast that was just performances, handing out awards, and an in memoriam."

100% agree. In fact, I'd find that preferable to a bloated awards show. But, would the WGA picket an event that typically does have WGA writers even if they tried to do it without that this year just to prove a point? That's what I would be worried about going forward with some type of live show of any kind without knowing how the WGA would respond.

Blindbutlerdeafmaid
#118WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 6:32pm

The last WGA strike was November through February so it didn't affect the Tony Awards but the WGA did grant some of the smaller award shows waivers. If you're curious to see the show-by-show outcome of that strike, the main strike article has better coverage of the strike's effects on award shows than the click through. The click through has a LOT more detail about the other show genres.

Seems like a good starting place for those truly curious.

Updated On: 5/10/23 at 06:32 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#119WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 6:44pm

Most of these shows are holding on with the hopes they win some awards. Postponing it until September? would derail most of their hopes to stay open. 4/5 of the Best New Musical nominees are struggling currently and likely don't stick around if the awards are ppd. The Best New Musical winner always gets a solid box office boost.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Theaterlover83
#120WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 6:54pm

ACL2006 said: "Most of these shows are holding on with the hopes they win some awards. Postponing it until September? would derail most of their hopes to stay open. 4/5 of the Best New Musical nominees are struggling currently and likely don't stick around if the awards are ppd. The Best New Musical winner always gets a solid box office boost."

actors’s equity , the union over Broadway performers, just joined the picket line. What could this mean for the Tony’s? I hope they get a waiver 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#121WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 7:22pm

Blindbutlerdeafmaid said: "The last WGA strike was November through February so it didn't affect the Tony Awards but the WGA did grant some of the smaller award shows waivers. If you're curious to see the show-by-show outcome of that strike, the main strike article has better coverage of thestrike's effects on award showsthan the click through. The click through has a LOT more detail about the other show genres.

Seems like a good starting place for those truly curious.
"

Cool name WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

It has been explained more than once in this thread that prior WGA strikes do not provide a meaningful comparison to the present strike because this time the fight is an existential one for the unions. The stakes have never been anywhere close to this level. Reading and understanding what has been said already in this thread seems like a good starting place if you are among the curious. WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

There have been suggestions above that WGA should meet with "the Wing" [an innocuous front organization in relation to the Tonys that could not possibly muster the wherewithal to achieve what is being suggested]. Because the union is in the described existential fight with AMPTP, does anyone seriously think they are going to take their eye off the ball and work out some deal with the puniest of all awards shows with a network deal?

Even though it is still correct that no one knows anything, some things are coming into high relief. Any show that has any spoken words that arguably come within the WGA jurisdiction is going to be struck. Where this leaves the League is to try salvaging its show (and in turn maybe a production or two) by very definitively steering clear of each and every minefield. That means no words, no audience, no talent, and probably nothing live. I ran into a former colleague while I was walking through Shubert Alley today and of course this topic came up. I asked him if he had a solution and he gave me one: make it into an animated show [which is not covered by the struck contract]. It's not as far-fetched as some of the ideas being thrown around here. WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys 

Mr. Wormwood
#122WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 7:42pm

Actors’ Equity President Kate Shindle Says “Too Soon” To Predict WGA Strike Impact On Tony Awards

https://deadline.com/2023/05/wga-strike-tony-awards-actors-equity-kate-shindle-broadway-1235362476/

Blindbutlerdeafmaid
#123WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/10/23 at 11:55pm

HogansHero said: Cool name WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys

My dad raised me on Neil Simon and Murder By Death always just tickled my funny bone. I had lost access to my original handle and I think I created this one while literally watching the iconic (to me) Nancy Walker / Alec Guiness kitchen scene.

--

I wasn't being snarky: it's truly an interesting read that is relevant to a high speculative conversation that could use some grounding in both history and fact. I've read the entire thread and posted a thoughtful and well-informed response a page or so ago. Yes, referencing the '88 strike -- when it did affect the Tony Awards -- is an outdated comparison, but there are things to glean reading in between the lines of how the WGA weighed wavers during the 2008 strike: especially the timeline. Late night shows didn't start making moves to return to the air without writers (or negotiate for waivers) until the third month. We're barely into the second week. The Tony Awards would be barely into the second month. And, it's been widely reported that these negotiations are way behind the 2008 negotiations -- which at least began with an exchange of sticking points in the first meeting. No such documents were exchanged in the first meeting and I haven't seen any reporting that says they ever were. Only that conversations have been slow because every party to the CBA seems to be having a different process to winding down production due the complications of the nine-figure showrunner deals. 

So, if the WGA didn't start granting waivers until the third month in 2008 when there wasn't an "existential battle" at hand, they're certainly not going to start looking at waivers in time for this year's Tony Awards. (Even the 1988 strike started in March which gave the parties an extra two months to try and negotiate a waiver in time for that ceremony -- and didn't.)

I don't think that disregards all the pages of uninformed bickering that preceded either of my posts. I'm genuinely sorry if you do. I certainly didn't post my second one with any intent to insult anyone. Obviously I'm fascinated by it... and if others are fascinated by it enough to argue over their positions, I figured a very specific -- and arguably applicable -- history would be an interesting click worthy of the two minutes it takes to read. 

If South Park can get an episode out in 3 or 4 days, surely someone can figure out how to do animated segments between numbers... but I won't hold my breath on that one: I've seen how I look in purple.

The speculation is fun, sure. But it's truly not worth arguing over: there is no insider information to be had yet, so no one can be right or wrong tonight.

And -- as opposed to the many board arguments that can be solved by a thumb through of a Theatrical Index or simple Google search -- on this one, only time will tell whose speculation is which.

Updated On: 5/11/23 at 11:55 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#124WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys
Posted: 5/11/23 at 1:26am

Blindbutlerdeafmaid said: "The speculation is fun, sure. But it's truly not worth arguing over: there is no insider information to be had yet, so no one can be right or wrong tonight."

I think we both have acknowledged that there is nothing but speculation at this point. I understand that some here don't want to envision a scenario in which the show they wait for all year likely won't happen in the way they had anticipated, but I do believe that it is becoming pretty clear that "business as usual" is not a look WGA is going to want to project anywhere for any reason. The challenge for the Tonys is to craft a way to make SOMETHING happen on June 11. A waiver seems to me to be very much wishful thinking. I think the best case scenario is that, if they can set out a very strict set of ground rules, they MIGHT have a chance of getting WGA to confirm that it does not fall within their jurisdiction. 

Anyway, you certainly did not offend me and I hope I didn't step on your toes too squarely. Now I am going to turn my attention to how Trey & Matt are busy at work re-inventing the Tonys.

Videos